1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 26GA4 Flashing red standby LED

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Gary, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Gary

Gary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

All with the above TV or similar, I just took delivery of the above but it will not always switch on from standby.

The TV is in standby, ie the led is red, press the remote standby button to fully power the set, the led turns green for two seconds but the TV does not switch on and the led goes back to a flashing red. Once this happens I have to switch the power off and back on at the wall socket and the TV fully powers up.

Is it duff or is there a simpler answer, I hope, had a quick look in the manual but can see no mention of a flashing red led.

Thanks.

2. aphextwin

aphextwin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this tv and have not had this problem. Think you have a duff one. I would get it sent back while there are still stocks.

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Its not overheating is it? Is the telly placed near a heat source of some kind?

4. Gary

Gary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys.

This has happened twice now after the set was left in standby for more than 2 hours, switched to standby and switched back on after a few minutes all is ok. There is no heat source nearby.

I have only had the set for 1 day, I have now put it into standby and will leave it again for a few hours and see what happens.

Looks like it could have a fault.

Thanks

5. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Gary,

My new LC26GA4E from Empiredirect has the same problem as you - fails to start up and after a brief flash of green LED just sits there with red LED and nothing else happening.

I am going to report it on Monday. I also cannot connect it to my laptop on VGA (get no signal whatsoever, no matter what I try), and when I connect it to my desktop over DVI black flashing lines begin to shimmer across the screen after a minute or so. This gets steadily worse until after about 10 minutes the screen starts going blank for half a second.

I am not impressed with what is becoming a very large & heavy paperweight.

AJP

6. Gary

Gary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AJP,

Mine works perfectly via DVI afer a bit of a tweak from powerstrip - usual stuff refresh 60Hz and 1368 by 768 then the dot by dot mode appeared in the sharp menu, astounding picture playing HD clips.
    I hope we can both get replacements.

Regards
    Gary

7. Gary

Gary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update,

I have tested the power saving options and setting both to enabled appears, so far anyway, to allow the standby function to operate correctly, ie switch the TV back on.

I assume the manual is correct and the default is disabled? Can someone confirm the power saving settings on their LC**GA*, as supplied.

From the non switching on I described earlier does a flashing red power LED mean the set has entered power saving mode?

Are their any 'experts' on the Sharp who could offer an explanation to this?

Thanks

Gary

8. Gary

Gary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AJP,

Did you manage to get a replacement?
    Empire no longer list this tv, we could have bought their last few, guess where mine came from....Empire.
    I will call them tomorrow for a replacement, if i'm lucky, as mine has faulted again today, if not I will attempt to get sharp out.

Gary

9. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Gary,

I was just logged on myself 5 mins ago & couldn't find the LC26GA4E at Empire so came to the same conclusion as you. Worrying.

Try as I might though I cannot replicate the "flashing red led, won't power up" fault any more. A search did show up a number of previous postings with the same problem and replies to call a Sharpserv engineer out to replace the power supply. No reponses back to say that this had been done & the problem fixed. I love the internet for finding out about such problems & possible fixes, but wish people would post back what the final solution was.

I feel as though I have spent most of the past few days trying to get the Sharp to work at 1360/1366/1368 x 768 over DVI (did get it working great over VGA with my laptop though). I have tried just about every frig I can find on the internet to get it working with my NVidia FX5200 card but can only get it scaling and scrolling about like a virtual 1366x768 screen. After each attempt I restore my PC's settings and try again. :(

I have hardly slept and work is suffering so I have to give up or get divorced. If I keep it then 1280x768 it is unless I get a PC/graphics card which works out-of-the-box with the Sharp at 1366/1368. If I added up the time I have spent on it, not to mention the costs in stress, etc then a graphics would have been cheap. You say that yours works well, so what card do you have?

The picture on the Sharp genuinely looks much better than the faulty Acer 2671 I had a few weeks ago so I would be reluctant to give it up. I am also worried about sending it back with vague ramblings about a fault which they then cannot replicate, only to return a screen at my expense possibly with scratches, etc on it. In fact I would have been happier if it had simply failed to power up full stop, or gone bang. Then I would know it was faulty and could move on. 3rd time lucky maybe?

As for actually sitting back with a beer and actually watching anything on it and enjoying the purchase... well I have been too busy! Technology? Progress? You wouldn't believe that I work in IT!

Cheers,
    AJP

10. Gary

Gary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AJP,

Today I spoke to both empiredirect and sharp.
    Empire are unsure if they will carry further stock of the 26ga4, but are checking with their suppliers.
    Call this number to speak directly to sharp, 0870 7874387, do not use the number empire hand out, I did and was on hold for 20mins :mad: . Sharp seem helpfull and I was told the non powering from standby is an easy fix that they can do onsite at your home :) .

The graphics card I use is a saphire radeon 9600, if this helps.

Regards

Gary

11. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Gary,

Thanks for that. I will contact Sharp if/when I get another power up glitch, but cannot reproduce it at the moment.

It does seem that most (if not all) of the postings with problems getting their PC connected are using NVidia cards like me. As you got your ATI 9600 working without any hassle then my next purchase will be a fanless ATI Radeon 9600/9800 from Ebuyer.

Please let me know how you get on if Sharp come to replace your power supply.

I think we were lucky getting the last of the GA4E's as the picture out-of-the-box is so much better than other LCDs I have seen, and can be improved further with some of the myriad of setup tweaks mentioned in other threads.

Cheers,
    AJP