1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 26GA3E or 32GD1E?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Pezerinno, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    26GA3 can be had for under £1000 while the 32 titanium is about £2300. If I go for the 26" GA3 I could buy a better DVD player - something like a Denon DVI one, I could also upgrade my PC monitor setup. If I go with the titanium one then I'll probably just get a toshiba 340E or something. I've heard that the freeview reception from the av box on the titanium is a bit pants, I assume I can use my thomson DHD-4000 freeview PVr in conjuction with the a/v box ok? I'm a bit worried that the 26" GA3 won't be large enough, depsite it going in the bedroom.

The Sony KDL-L32MRX1 but it's too expensive and I don't like the size of the philips 9986.

Does the 32" titanium have removable speakers like the GA3/4?
    Could someone tell me how long the lead is from the tv to the av media box on the 32" titanium.
    The difference between the GA5 and GA3 is no DVI or removable speakers right? The actual panel is the same? If I don't plan on having sky anytime soon would you say the lack of DVI wouldn't really matter? a 32" GA5 would be much cheaper than the titanium version.

Thanks, Nick.

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    the one he found was a GA5 apparently :(

I am now considering the GA5, still not sure though..

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I thought hunts1uk said a GA4?

5. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    he meant GA5.

6. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,255
    Ok im sorry. :blush:

7. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    It's down to a 26"GA4 or 32"GA5 for me. Really can't decide. It's going in the bedroom so viewing distance will be fairly close (2-3m). I can get the 26" for £1000 with 5 year warranty or the 32" for £1400 with 5 year warranty. What do we think guys?

EDIT: how much would a Sharp LC-32GA4E be worth if I did manage to find one? I imagine shops will be charging a premium due to supply.

8. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,255
    I'm in the same position,just can't decide which one to get.

9. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Nick, have you seen the 26" in a shop? I'm going to be sat the same distance away from you and i thought a 32" would be too big (and too expensive), i cut out 2 piece's of 26" & 32" cardboard and asked my girlfriend to hold them on the wall. The 26" looked fine so decided to save the extra cash it would of costed if i bought the 32" :thumbsup:

10. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well I had a quick look at a sharp 26GA3E in curry's and thought it looked quite small, however I have to admit I seem to remember it was surrounded by larger screens ranging right up to 60" rear projections.

I might try the cardboard trick - think theres some lying around in the recycling bin!

I don't mind spending the extra on the 32" It's more the fact whether I'll miss the DVI and removable speakers. As I'm using 5.1 speakers the option to remove the shaps speakers on the GA3/4 models is nice - gives it a lot more cleaner look.

11. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had a Sony WEGA 32FQ75B CRT and just ordered a Sharp LC-32GA4E here in Switzerland.

I am a total noob in LCD TV's but I just had a look here at AVforums and saw that it seems to be very hard to get one of these. Here in Switzerland they are standing in most bigger shops and it isn't a problem to get one.

Is this screen that good? I know they are discontinued but any screen is discontinued at some time but then the stocks are still full of them.

I considered a Philips 9976 aswell but the unavailable component YUV input was something I couldn't get on with.

I don't find any professional review about the LC-32GA4E and even here at avforums I couldn't find any. So the screen seems to sell like hell but no reviews? Why?

btw. even the 32GA4E looks very small to me... but 37 was no option... money, money, money... :(

12. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I was going to get the 37" but can't find any of those either, also it might be a bit big for the bedroom. The sharp must look bigger than your old CRT though?

13. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    why do you want a sharp? why not a philips or another brand? As I said I have no knowledge about LCD TV's but it seems to me I fortunately did the right decision.

I was in a big store yesterday (I already had ordered the sharp) and saw the 9976 side by side with the GA4E and was kind of disapointed. But I know that it is all about settings...

btw. 37GA's are everywhere aswell in Switzerland... but all of them are more expensive than in other countries I think.

14. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I think the Sharp has great image quality as well as it having removable speakers (which is a bonus for me) The bezel is quite slim. If the Philips 9986 looked like the Sharp GA4 and had removable speakers I would get that but it looks pretty ugly IMO.

15. mjfe

mjfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick25

Which one 26GA3E or 32GD1E?
    It is not so easy, I know.
    I have decided to buy 26GA3.
    Must find the best price.
    I cannot use 26GA3E here in Finland. I try to find 26GA3 from Germany.
    Here in Finland LCD-TV's are very expensive.

Martti

16. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I keep reading reviews and the damn philips 9986 keeps poppping up with 5/5 best buy blah blah blah... they also seem keen on its looks as well, saying how pretty it is. It looks ugly from the pictures I've seen..

I'll have to try and find one in the shops to look at in person. I've rulled out the titanium 32" sharp - too expensive for what you get IMO.

17. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    McE,

It's not discontinued, more like we have bought up all the 32" units Sharp allocated to the UK.

Which one were you disappointed with?

18. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    was disappointed with the sharp. but the sharp was the only screen without a remote control so I couldn't tweak the settings. But I managed to get the philips looking as bad as the sharp... :(

Nick the philips is a beauty and looks more expensive than the sharp. philips has a big bezel because the speakers are in there. that makes it look way bigger as the sharp but of course the screen itself is the same size.

But I have to say they had very expensive screens that had extrem bad PQ. this is the problem! no reviews and no chance to hook up a decent source...

But I bet the Sharp has very good PQ with YUV and DVI... at least I hope so...

I'm buying the GA4E for my YUV DVD Player and all my consoles with component and of course for my pc. If I would only whatch TV with my Screen I wouldn't even consider a LCD and stay with the CRT...

19. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I thought I read that here at AVforums that the GA4E screens are discontinued!?

20. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    MCE weren't you looking at the philips 9975 though? not the 86? The thing is I don't need the speakers so the extra size of the philips is annoying. How much were the 32"GA4's selling for here before they disappeared?

21. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    its not that much extra size. of course the sharp without the speakers is like a TFT Screen for a pc. But I was talking about the 9986: small grey bezel but an aditional black big "bezel" with the speakers on the bottom and the sides.

I think it's very very nice BUT can anyone tell why philips did not include a YUV input? Or is it possible to hook up my ps2, xbox and cube with the component Y br pr cable some other way?

If the philips would have YUV I would cancel my order for the sharp right away...

Anyone with a 9986 or some other philips without YUV? Is it possible to have component with an adapter or is it maybe even in the package? I know the philips supports component via dvi but there's no cable for my consoles or my dvdplayer for that...