1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 26GA3E/4E or Toshiba 30WL46B

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dj_ooms, Dec 3, 2004.

1. dj_ooms

dj_ooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have made a purchase of the Sharp 26GA4E but like many people seem to be a bit confused about whether this TV is discontinued or not. The place I have ordered from are saying that they are temporarily "Out of Stock" and "Will be receiving some shortly". I want to get an LCD TV very quickly, mainly for use with my PC and an XBOX. I have seen the Toshiba 30WL46B as an alternative and was wondering what peoples opinion of this TV is, especially compared to the Sharp GA3/4E series. I need to know specfically what the response times and DVI/VGA connections are like and whether the picture quality is on the level of the Sharp GA series. I have seen a place where I can get the Toshiba for under £1000, which have them in stock. I would like to get this before Christmas.

Thanks.

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the Toshiba couldn't display PC input at the full res?

Anyway, I have just got a Sharp 32GA3E today, and I'm very happy with it. Picture quality is awesome once it's been set up properly.

If you're going to be using it with a PC, the Sharp is probably the better choice for you. It has a DVI connection, and <16ms response time. No image lag at all here.

3. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 30WL46 is 1280x768 so no problem here...

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes but that is only 15:9

5. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    And you can't see the difference! The human eye cannot see the difference between 15:9 and 16:9. Of course a manufacturer could also choose horizontally wide pixels to make it 16:9

Jonathan

6. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About the choice , the same question occured to me and well the Tosh is 30" (4 inches make a difference) and has an excellent quality even on standard RGB scarts...The DVI port and its 1280x768 resolution makes it perfect for PC use, without the need of powerstrip or whatever manipulation...
    Bad points: no component inputs (you might want these to connect your Xbox the best way but well isnt a bigger screen better?) and the dvi is non hdcp compliant which means it wont be HDTV compatible (from what we know at present time...)

I bought the 30WL46 and Im very happy with it (excelllent TV restitution , brilliant image with dvds on simple RGB scart and fast reponse panel excellent for games (burnout3 for example rules!!!...)
    If I had a bit more money ,maybe I would have bought the Sharp 32G4E , mainly for its connectivity but also for its excellent quality.
    But between a 26 and a 30inch , you shoulndt hesitate too long , specially because the 30WL46 is a very good set...

7. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No big deal but isnt it more 16/10 ?

8. dmctech

dmctech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You get a free DVD player with it too, a Tosh SD-240E. I ordered mine this week and so hopefully should get it sometime next week.

9. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quote myself...Just tried to connect my PC via DVI and cant succeed switching to 1280X768, its stuck on 1024x768 :p
    I think Im just not doing the right thing with powerstrip (first time using) but just to let you know I was telling wrong... :blush:

Brilliant picture anyway...Very sharp and no "fluterring"...

I tried to read HD demos but even if the image was excellent I wasnt blown away...
    I suppose it needs to be 1280x720 so that it maches the exact number of lines right?