Sharp 26 GA3, stuck pixel and John Lewis

docfeelgood

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have one stuck pixel on my screen.

I'm not sure how much this is going to bother me.

However, I have pretty much zero tolerance for this sort of thing. My opinion has always been - it should be perfect when it comes out of the box. If they appear over time... that's different.

I am aware of Sharps 'tolerance' policy on this. Why do we put up with this sort of thing?
If you bought a £15 shirt that had a mark on it, you would get it replaced - no questions asked. Spend a grand and they say 'well actually that's normal sir... but if you get 5 more then we might replace it'. Rubbish.

Anyway ... rant over :)

My question is. Has anyone had John Lewis swap an LCD TV for a new one for this reason (one stuck pixel)?

With my luck... any replacement will have 3 stuck pixels!

Before I speak to them... I would like to get a general idea of other peoples experiences of this sort of thing with them.

best regards
:)
Doc

Depends on the colour of the dead pixel, whether it's stuck on or off, and where abouts on the screen it is.

I have one red pixel stuck off near the edge of the screen. I've never been able to see it during normal video viewing - only when sitting close and viewing RGB flat fields from my PC. So for me it's not worth the hassle of returning the thing. However, if it was in the middle of the picture, or a green pixel, or stuck on - then I'd return it.

PS. remember you may end up with an even worse replacement set - eg. McE says he had 4 replacements before he got a perfect one. IMHO it's not worth the hassle for one dead red near the edge.

Well i'm with you doc, i reckon any tv that arrives with a stuck/dead pixel should be sent back.................hell were spending nearly £1000 on it, so why not.

I Sent two LC26GA4E's back before i got one that was perfect

i had one right in the middle and because i use a lot of white backgrounds for my art it started to bug me so john lewis gave me a full refund

Ive known JL take back LG'S and manhattans back with one pixel so your sharp shouldnt be a problem also speak to sharp direct they are generaly very good . JL's policy is you can return it within 28 days of purchase for full refund if you are not satisfied with the product if your out of your 28 days judge for yourself by how much then say you have been away and you have tried calling but can never get through (blah blah blah) make sure you still have all packaging as they can then return it to sharp as a debit if they try to take 10% repackaging costs off you it is actualy illegal for a store to do this above all be nice stay calm and dont make a scene you will find it gets you a bit further than if you went in all guns blazing.

If you shout loud enough they will replace it. Although the manufacturers may have a minimum number/percentage of dead pixels JL will always succumb to pressure from unhappy customers.
If you get no luck from their service dept. complain in writing to Department Manager or Store manager.

Warpaint said:
If you shout loud enough they will replace it. Although the manufacturers may have a minimum number/percentage of dead pixels JL will always succumb to pressure from unhappy customers.
If you get no luck from their service dept. complain in writing to Department Manager or Store manager.
try the nice aproach first if you kick off you just make yourself look stupid if you then get no joy pollitly ask for the manager. which jl is it from ?

Hi

Try JL and if you are not successfull it might be worth speaking to Sharpserv , they dealt with my pixel issues on my 32GA3E.
I do think the position of the pixel is a factor when it comes to swapping the sets , im pretty certain they do not allow any at all in the middle of the screen.

Drphibes

Always persist with your complaints with John Lewis as they tend see reason in the end. I've had loads of issues with them, mostly about their "Never knowingly undersold" policy where they've tried to claim it doesn't exist outside of England, they won't honour their "find it cheaper within a reasonable time" clause or, frankly, they misell you products because staff aren't trained properly. Always try and go as high as you can in-store then write to the chief executive. I only once had to threaten with the Small Claims Court and they sorted the problem out immediately upon notice of my intention to sue. However minor a problem is a new product should be of merchantable quality and fit for its purpose. An LCD is supposed to offer a high quality visual experience. Stuck pixels negate that. Bring it back and insist on a replacement today.

Just never forget: THEY DON'T HAVE TO! A few Dead pixels are not falling under warranty!

Look at the ISO 13406-2: http://www.jai.com/db_userman/isotabell.pdf
(that only applies if the screen is certified with that ISO 13406-2!)

Almost 50% of all LCD's are coming with Pixel faults out of the factory! This does not mean that 50% of all LCD-TV's in stores do have pixel faults...

I sell Sony PSP's. And even that tiny Screen from Sharp has a lot of pixel faults! 70% of all PSP's I've seen so far had some kind of pixel fault!!!

And as LCDguru said: I had to go over 4 Sharps to get perfect one! (But one of my 32GD1E had 10 hotpixels!)

I would argue that any attempt to include a clause in warranty or guarantee that attemped to limit liability when a product is clearly not 100 per cent and thus in breach of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 is, in fact, a breach of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1997 and therefore invalid and non-enforceable.

I think they try to argue that a monitor with 4 dead pixels (for example) is still 100%, as it is within tolerance.

:confused:

Although not happy, I've decided to keep the set.

I haven't the time or patience to argue with J.L. over what is a fault. Also the thought of having a number of sets returned before I get a perfect one doesn't give me a warm feeling.

So I guess they win again.

Unless you guys can drum me up a bit :)

Also... J.L. only sell the black one now...... and I don't know what this looks like.

regards

Doc

docfeelgood said:
I think they try to argue that a monitor with 4 dead pixels (for example) is still 100%, as it is within tolerance.

:confused:

Although not happy, I've decided to keep the set.

I haven't the time or patience to argue with J.L. over what is a fault. Also the thought of having a number of sets returned before I get a perfect one doesn't give me a warm feeling.

So I guess they win again.

Unless you guys can drum me up a bit :)

Also... J.L. only sell the black one now...... and I don't know what this looks like.

regards

Doc

The black edition looks absolutely stunning. See one in the flesh yesterday for the first time and it just looked great, looks more appealing than the silver version.

I know it's just a colour, but still....

unless it is made unequivocably clear at the time of purchase - and not just in the small print - then you have every right to reject it.

Even if it is in the small print, you still I reckon have any court on your side, as it would not be unreasonable for any normal member of the public to expect that a product works 100% - i.e. no stuck pixels - unless it is marked imperfect, or clearly stated that there is a tolerance level.

I have never seen this dead pixel tollerance clearly indicated in a physical shop - though I have seen it made very clear by on line retailers - and I have never had any sales assistant indicate to me that it is a condition of the sale.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom