1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 22AD1E or JVC 26C31? Advice please!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bobbytech, Oct 31, 2004.

1. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy my first LCD TV.

I want a screen about 22”-23” but up to 26” is okay (but no bigger).

I've been reading the various posts on this site and reading the HCC reviews for the last two weeks. At the same time I've been looking at the hardware in stores (I work in Tottenham Court Road – which is useful!) and have come down to two sets - the Sharp and the JVC.

What I'm looking for:
    16:9 ratio
    1280x768 (or higher) resolution
    minimum 22” to max 26” screen
    Progressive scan compatible
    Freeview

Ideally to include:
    HDTV ready
    2 scarts if no Freeview

Things important to me are: picture quality, build quality and affordability. My original budget was £800 but having seen the above two sets I've upped it to £950 (I will be buying online). I'm not bothered about having the latest kit (and don't want to pay the premium for it). I'd rather go for something a few months old (at least) and save a few bob.

I think from my list you can see why I have reached my shortlist. Unfortunately, neither matches my ideal spec. Perhaps I'm being to greedy for my budget? :)

Any views, advice or alternative suggestions welcome. I'd particularly appreciate feedback from anyone who has experience of either of these (or both!) or knows of an alternative that fits my desired spec.

My old CRT TV has blown and we have been reduced to watching the 14” portable that neither the video nor DVD plugs into. :-( I'm getting desperate to buy soon! All help appreciated! Thanks.

2. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any thoughts on this anyone??

Having given it more thought I'm beginning to think that the JVC is the better option. It has a better technical spec (includes nice gimmicks like picture in picture etc.). I can always (grudingly!) add a Freeview box to the JVC - I can't add the technical specs to the Sharp.

I need guidance! :lease:

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Sorry, have not had too much experience of these two.

Agree with what you say about the Freeview. From my early experience with my Toshiba 26WL46 freeview is a must, but doesn't really matter if it is built in unless space is really tight.

4. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daveb975, thanks for that. I did have that Toshiba on my original long list. (Not sure why it dropped off!) I did read the review on the HCC website and was concerned about R1 DVDs - the review mentions problems with NTSC playback. Is this easy to get around? Have you managed to?

Also, the picture in the HCC review
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4622

is nothing like the one here

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/vision/tv/221611/details

which is correct?

5. NNOMANN

NNOMANN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bobbytech.
    I believe that the picture in the HCC review is incorrect - this is a photo of the 26WL36 not 26WL46.

I've been looking at the Toshiba as well, and am stuck on whether to get the 26WL46, 27WL46 or the Sharp LC26GA3E.

The 27WL46 and the Sharp are about £100 more expensive than the 26WL46, but have picture in picture and DVI input. Other than that, there's not much else in it from a specification point of view.

As soon as I can find a decent demonstration of one, I'm probably going to get the Sharp. That is until I find another set that is equally as good!

NOMAN

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Yes, the review picture shows the 26WL36 as NOMAN says.

If you search the reviews section of the same site, there is a review from July's Essential Hi-Fi and Home Cinema, which shows the correct picture.

It seems to be well rated in the press, two 4 star reviews there, five stars from What Hi-Fi, and the new What Video & Widescreen is apparently about to give it the LCD award 2005. Unbeatable quotes them as saying "....quite simply the only 26-incher you need to consider...".

I don't trust reviews too much, but I must say as I long term LCD 'sceptic', I am extremely impressed by the Toshiba, especially given the very competitive price.

I have not tried any NTSC material, and it is now back in the box awaiting a replacement tomorrow (damaged in transit :mad: ). If no-one else has posted by the time I get my new one, I will let you know.

7. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please do let me know on the NTSC issue - I've a fair few R1 DVDs.

Sorry to hear you had problems with your new TV. Best of luck with the replacement.

I also heard from a salesman in Tottenham Court Road the other day that all the major manufacturers will be bringing out replacement models all with a Freeview decoder built-in. Does anyone else know about this? I'm now thinking perhaps I should delay my purchase. Aaagh!

8. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Freeview is already built in to some current LCDs e.g. the Panasonic 26" & 32", and the Toshiba 17".

I think that it will become standard sooner or later, but as with any new developments, by the time it happens there will be something else on the horizon!

9. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0