1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing RGB sockets?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by skythepig, Apr 3, 2002.

1. skythepig

skythepig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just considering the new Pace free to air digital box. Does this need to go into an RGB scart on the TV? If yes I only have one which is used by a PS2 which also doubles as the DVD player.
    What do most people do in this situation? Can you get a 2 into one RGB scart sharing box or like?

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There are RGB capable scart switch and boxes out there. They range from Argos toss through Dixons acceptable to top quality stuff that you'll find from places like those below.

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/
    http://www.keene.co.uk/
    http://www.beyondhifi.net/

Check out Maplins too.

If you're not too interested in stunning videophile performance, those more expensive boxes that can be bought from Dixons are more than up to the task.

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,241
    Just read with interest your post on the scart switch boxes.

I too have more scart leads than I have sockets for.

If I were to plug the scart from the DVD and the scart from the satellite box into one of these switch boxes and then plug that into AV1 on the TV would it just change automatically to whichever one I turned on? like it does with the AV scart sockets on the TV?

Also would there be any great loss of quality going through the switch box as opposed to a direct connection to the TV?

Cheers
    Greg

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your DVD has two scarts and supports the RGB loop you could daisey chain the digibox.

DVD AV1 > TV AV1
    SKY AV1 > DVD AV2
    SKY AV2 > VCR AV2
    VCR AV1 > TV AV2

I prefer this way than going the switchbox route.

If your DVD has only one scart then the RGB capable switchbox will be the next best thing, if you want to keep both components on RGB.

Haven't noticed any picture loss when daisey chained with good quality interconnects, as for the switchboxes i can't comment.

bob

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you can use Bob's suggestion, then this is best.

If not, have a look at those sites I listed above. They feature scart switch boxes that will automatically switch between inputs when they receive a signal. These are more expensive, but also reduce video quality loss to a minimum.

Scart switchboxes are not something anyone wants to have anything to do with, but until manufacturers stop with the nonsense that to supply more than one RGB capable scart is too expensive, they are unfortunately necessary. Bummer.

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,241
    Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately my DVD player only has the one scart socket.

I will have a look at the websites mentioned to see about the RGB capable automatic switch box.

Cheers
    Greg

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Where's DoubleDoom with his 'copy & paste' routine? :)

8. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I use the Quattro Scart Control Box which can be purchased from either http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/ or http://www.keene.co.uk/

Ok, It costs 80 quid, which to some may seem expensive but it does a fantastic job.

It will take 3 RGB inputs and via either remote control or by automatically switching to a source when a new source is powered up, will feed the RGB signal out via SCART.

I can not see any difference between the picture via the Quattro when compared to a feed direct to the TV. (I use the RGB only QED cables)

2 small niggles.

It does not pass the WideScreen AutoSelect voltage to the TV and I had a few problems getting my Pronto to learn the IR codes (though did finally get it to work with the Quattro).

I would recommend the unit very strongly. I use it with a DIgiBox, DVD and DTT Box.

Guy

9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, as the Quattro's main promoter around these parts, I can't let someone steal my act, so I just have to pop in again with my paranoid complex and put in a good word for this little wonderful box. I'm not sure that it would be the most appropriate thing for Sky and Greg though.

Unless they want to solve all their connection problems all at once that is. The lack of auto WS switching has never bothered me.

Best price at http://www.beyondhifi.net/ btw.

10. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    No worries. Pretend I said nothing ;)

As to

It has never bothered me either, but it can annoy some so I feel it needs to be mentioned.

Guy

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    It would annoy me. The lack of WS switching is the only thing putting me off the Quattro. I use a manual SCART switch box instead, which does auto WS switching.

12. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Hard Drive failure a couple of weeks ago and have only now just got the replacement.

I'm not sure the PACE box has 2 scarts. However, i would think it probably does so i will paste the usual below.

Option 1 would be the best (ignore the amp/receiver bits and substitute DVD with PS2 and digibox with PACE box).

------
    Various ways to connect depending on what you think is acceptable.

option 1 - RGB for both DVD and digibox but need to record via the RF.
    Audio carried from TV to Amp and DVD to amp (TV passes audio from vcr and
    digibox)

DVD > Digibox VCR scart ( use scart lead, set DVD to output RGB)
    Digibox > TV (use scart lead into RGB scart socket)
    Video > TV (scart lead into composite scart socket - Don't use an expensive cable, it would be wasted)
    Aerial > digibox > vcr > TV

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on your available connections)
    TV > Amp (using 2x phono connection)

-----------------------------------------

Option 2 - RGB for digibox and s-video for DVD. Allows recording via the scart. Audio the same as above

DVD > TV (scart into s-video scart)
    Digibox > TV (scart into RGB scart)
    Digibox > VCR (composite scart - Don't use expensive cable for this one)
    Aerial > digibox > vcr > TV

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on your available connections)
    ------------------------------------------

Option 3 - TV doesn't pass audio or doesn't pass it with decent quality. Will require manual switching between sources. Use video connections as option 1 or 2.

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on
    your available connections)
    VCR > Amp (using 2x phono connection)
    Digibox > Amp (using 2x phono connection)