Sharing protected AAcs fro itunes

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by sotonjoe, Dec 23, 2006.

1. sotonjoe

sotonjoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Just a quick question...

Should my xbox360 be able to 'see' and play 'protected' aac files from my itunes library or is it limited to certain types of audio file???

Cheers.

2. Captain-K

Captain-K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Xbox can't see AAC files, only MP3 files. If you imported the tracks into iTunes from CD, encoded as AAC, iTunes will happily convert them to MP3. However, iTunes refuses to convert music purchased from the iTunes store into MP3 format. The answer is to burn the purchased AAC track onto CD (which you would no doubt do anyway) as an audio file, and then import it from the CD into iTunes as an MP3.

3. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    If you don't happen to have any spare CDs and don't mind spending around $17 you can use soundtaxi to convert the protected files to mp3.

EDIT: Just listened to a couple of my converted files and both have a very slight skip in them, not sure if there's any thing I can do about this in the programs settings so it might be worth just burning and then ripping after all.

4. sotonjoe

sotonjoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Cheers for the replies guys.

I was aware that you could burn the downloaded files to cd before re-encoding them into the mp3 format. However, I'm concerned as to the potential loss of quality here due to the fact that you would essentially be compressing an 'already' compressed file if that makes any sense! I guess the success of this would depend on what quality the originally downloaded files are when they come from itunes, and, at this moment, I don't have that info to hand.

Also, in terms of investigating whether downloading music from itunes makes good financial sense, as opposed to just buying the cd itself in the first place, it seems something of a waste to have to burn tracks to a cd just for the sake of re-encoding them. I wouldn't have any use for the cd itself as I wouldn't be playing the tracks from cd at all.

My main option would be to pursue the software route but I'm aware that Apple are obviously constantly trying to crack down on this sort of software so any solution I do find may only be a temporary one.

I have tried a trial version of the application recommended, and the sample conversion it did is fine and without any crackling (could the crackling experienced by the other poster have been present in his original file? Perhaps it was something that occurred due to too many system resources being used whilst the conversion was taking place?). I have also been recommended an application called tunebite which I shall check out before making a decision.

I am a little annoyed at the difficulty of it all. I seem to be caught in the midst of Apple / Microsoft compatibility issues / music industry piracy red tape, and it does annoy me that I can't do something which legally I should be able to do. I understand that the need for this sort of 'protection' on music downloads is apparently necessary to prevent widespread music piracy but I'm not sure I really buy that. There's nothing currently on the majority of cds to stop me going and abusing the copyright laws by copying the thing over and over so I don't see why there's a huge need for my itunes downloads to be any different.

On with the hunt!

5. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    ain't those programs illegal? your bypassing the copy protection even if you do "legally" own the music you still can't break the copyright

6. sotonjoe

sotonjoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes, I thought I made Apple's stance on the software clear in the above post. Although, there's nothing wrong in me being able to play music downloaded from itunes via my xbox IMO!

7. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Buying albums from itunes is a waste of money £7.99 an album is more than I've paid for the majority of mine. I get em second hand on Amazon/bay for 99p-£5 usually and can enjoy actually physically owning the CD, being able to use it however i want and have actual album artwork.

iTunes is great for downloading single tracks when you only like 1 song a band has.

8. sotonjoe

sotonjoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Well this is the thing. As I said, with all the faffing around that is needed to be able to play the things across your various devices, buying the cds does seem to be a much simpler option.

9. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Not sure if it's illegal or not but I don't think that this particular program actually removes the DRM from the file but rather it plays the file and then re-records it albeit faster than realtime so it's just doing the same as if you'd burnt a CD and then re-encoded it but this way it's quicker and you don't waste a CD. Because it does it like this I think that as long as the file plays on your PC you'll be able to use the program no matter what Apple does.

I think the problem that I had with the skips (only one per song which was like knocking a playing CD rather than a crackling) was because I was using the PC for other things at the same time so I'll be trying again later to see what happens.

10. massman

massman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got Tunebite, results are awesome, it even keeps the album art & tags - fantastic.

Stuff being illegal - Apple's DRM is crazy - I only wanted to play MY music that I bought on MY other devices.

Buy Tunebite. Rip. Enjoy :clap:

11. sotonjoe

sotonjoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes, I've had a go with Tunebite and it appears to be quite good actually. I think I may have got a little 'skipping' on one track but, as said above, I had a few other apps running at the same time.

Does anyone know how much it works out to on a current conversion from dollars It's £24.99 so I'm guessing about £14 - is that about right?

I've still got to get my streaming back up and running since I upgraded to media player 11 though which seems to have 'broken' my wireless connection for some reason.

12. MyBigToe

MyBigToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Technically, yes its illegal.. but i would use tunbite

13. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    At the moment $24.99 works out at £12.75 but they may charge you tax on top of that. XE is a good site for working out currency exchanges.

14. sotonjoe

sotonjoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    cheers for that.

On a slight side-issue....

Can anyone explain to me what the ipod software download on the live marketplace actually does? The description says something like "allows you to play unprotected AAC files from your ipod", so does that simply mean it will play those files, as well as any mp3 files, if you plugged the ipod in via the 360's USB port? Or is it something else?

15. monkeypete

monkeypete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes, it allows you to play any unprotected song (MP3 or AAC) from your iPod connected via USB.

I can also stream MP3s and AACs (and photos) from iTunes on my Mac using Connect360. :thumbsup:

16. sotonjoe

sotonjoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Right, so I'd find it if I went to 'play music' and selcted the ipod etc right?

So you use a mac and it connects fine to the 360 using the software you mentioned? Interesting! Presumably you use your mac and a router etc to get the 360 onto live???

17. monkeypete

monkeypete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, as simple as that.

I have a wireless network, so I just use the 360 wireless adapter for Xbox Live etc.

18. sotonjoe

sotonjoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Excellent! I'd always wondered how the 360 would work with a mac.

Now I can rest safe in the knowledge that, should I ever fancy splurging a grand on a mac, everything will work perfectly! :smashin:

19. massman

massman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Indeed. If only we had an app to stream from iTunes on the PC to the 360, we'd be all set. :rolleyes:

On Tunebite, I was getting skipping - to sort it, I unplugged my router, disabled all running apps, diasbled windows screensaver & set it away on my 600 iTMS songs for a weekend.

When it was done, I had 600 new MP3's, which sound as good as the original protected files. :clap: