Shared internet connection

eviljohn2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've just gotten ADSL at home but 2 computers. I've got 2 ADSL modems so can connect each computer individually but not as the pair.

What's the best/cheapest way of getting them both hooked up simultaneously? I've got one network card and some CAT5 lying around which I could use.

You'll need another network card.

Use one PC as the host PC (as you would use it normally) connect the two PC's via a crossover cable, and allow the 2nd PC rights to the net. You'll need firewall on the first PC, and anti-virus both.

Or buy a modem/router (Netgear DG814), also buy one more network card, connect the two PC's upto the DG814, and away you go. No firewall software needed, but you'll still need anti-virus.

Thanks Nathan. Cost is going to send me towards the first option!

I've had a few issues trying to network the 2 via coax before. Is all the software in Windows? I'm reasonably technically minded but networking is new to me since I've only really had 1 computer at a time before!

Yeah it's already built-in. Make sure file & printer sharing, TCP/IP, Client of MS networks is installed. You'll need to set exactly the same usernames & passwords on both PC's (to allow net/directory sharing)

You will need to manually enter in IP address (faster bootup this way) as normally the router is the DHCP server (that allocates IP addresses) but you won't have a DHCP server. Make sure you use a crossover cable, not a normal CAT5 cable.

Make sure you do the various security tweaks (checkout Black Viper's page) and critical updates, plus allow firewall rights to each PC, and block attacks.

I've got 2 PC's sharing without a router and found it a nightmare at first. Sometimes a couple of resets will be required on each PC's before filesharing will work, but in general the internet sharing is less of a problem.

I found this a very good/simple page for configuration:
http://www.ozcableguy.com/cableicsxp.html

HTH :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom