Shared Graphics

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by steevs, Feb 21, 2003.

1. steevs

steevs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi

Can anyone help out a computer novice. Recently I purchased a laptop which listed its specs as 128sdram and 32meg shared graphics, In device manager the ram is listed as being 96sdram so I ran sisoft sandra which also returned installed memory as 96.
    I took it back to the retailer who pointed out that the shared video uses the ram and that is why it is listed as 96. My argument is there is a panel on the back that states 128 and also a friend told me that windows xp needs 128 at least to run properly and the system came with xp pre installed, are they trying to pull a fast one or am I in the wrong?

Cheers

Steve

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My laptop has shared memory as well. You could ask them to fit another memory module, XP needs 256MB really.

Only better laptops have dedicated memory (think the gefoce based ones)

you could go into the bios and reduce the video card usage from 32mb to 16mb.

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The laptop has 128meg of memory fitted. Shared memory means by definition that some of the total fitted is allocated to video. You may have a case under clumsy use of plain English, but not on the issue of misrepresentation. The customer is never wrong, but is often misinformed!
    The little of the spec read suggests the laptop is a budget model. I would advise an additional 128 meg of ram, and you should see your laptom perform noticeably better.

4. steevs

steevs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    thanks for the reply's guys, much appericiated. good job I didnt ring head office then:confused:

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Use www.crucial.com/uk/ to buy the exact memory needed.

I'd add as much as you could afford into the laptop regardless.