shared front speaker in in home theatre with amp for stereo

laughing man77

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a separates stereo system, with a Technics SU-A600 mk3 amp and Kef Q60 Uni-Q shelf speakers. These are bi-wired (using A & B) speaker outputs.

I am researching setting up a new Atmos HT (5.1.2), and want to use the Marantz SR6013, using the existing Kef's as front L/R, so that it is as future proof as possible, for when I have space for proper cieling speakers ot 7 speaker surround.

I understand that although stereo soundstage piped through an A/V receiver is not terrible, it's not as good as through stereo. If possible, I'd like to preserve the bi-wired architecture with stereo, so I assume this will mean that I will need to bi-amp from the Marantz. This is not an issue for me, because I currently only have space for 5 speaker surround and 2 bouncy atmos speakers. So I'll have some spare speaker terminals to bi-amp.

So I was looking at one of the speaker/amplifier switchers, like https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selector-Switcher-Splitter-Control/dp/B01KQNNSVS.

If I place the Marantz in bi-amp mode and keep the Technics in bi-wire mode using A/B speakers, will I potentially have any issues using a switcher like above? I obviously don;t want to blow speakers or shiny new amps...

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The AVR has Pre-amp Line Out - connect the Front LR to a Line In on the Technics Amp and keep the Front LR connected to the Technics amp.

Connect your multi-channel Sources to the AVR and your Music Sources to the Technics Amp.

Ideally the Technics Amp will have a dedicated Input for a Pre-amp (which bypasses the Technics Vol control) if not you can experiment and find a setting for the Vol setting which integrates with the AVR Line Out.

No need for an Amplifier Switch.

Joe

HI Joe,

Thanks for super fast reply!

The Technics amp is an SU-A600 mk3, so no dedicated input for a Pre-amp. So that would mean volume is controlled by both amps?

With some initial time spent figuring out relative vol settings it is easy enough to use long term.

If you prefer to go the Amp switching route Beresford would be my first choice - BERESFORD ELECTRONICS

Joe

No need for an Amplifier Switch.

Joe

Quite true and I ran my system like this for a while.

Just be aware the tricky part is choosing a suitable volume level that's repeatable. The level will be much higher than the level used for music listening. On my old stereo amp with a mechanical volume knob it needed 12 o'clock on the dial whereas music listening was normally somewhere between 7 and 9 o'clock on the dial.

What model is the amplifier. After the setup above I upgraded to a NAD stereo amp which had pre out and amp in terminals with removable links. I used a 2 to 1 RCA switch box with the output connected to the power in terminals with the pre out from the NAD and AVR going to the 2 inputs. Essentially duplicating the HT bypass using an external switcher.

The stereo amp is a Technics SU-A600 mk3 (I've updated the question). Many thanks guys. I have a couple of options now, and at least confirmed my thinking was not faulty!

I spotted that after posting. Looking at Google your amp is an old school mechanical volume knob so it makes setting the level for use with the AVR relatively easy. The only downside will be having to manually change the volume, in particular switching to a music input will require the volume being reduced by a large amount. My previous experience would suggest the volume will probably need to be at 12 o'clock for ABR use.

Once you balance the volume on both then it's easy enough to put a mark on the volume control as a reference point for the surround sound mix. Joe has already mentioned the Beresford which is a popular answer to the balance problem.

Those amps with the dedicated HT by-pass make life very easy but new they do tend to be on the expensive side costing around the £1000 mark as a starting point here in the UK.

Yes, I'm tempted to go for the Beresford: it's not expensive, slightly more convenient IMO and would be a decent solution until my next, next project when I upgrade the Technics amp.

The Beresford will take out the need for the expensive HT option and will open up the scope for the basic integrated stereo amps. I use the Rega Elicit-R, which has HT by-pass, with KEF R300s and absolutely love the combination.

Before you invest in a switch, your best bet is to actually compare the amplifiers. While the general consensus is that integrated amplifiers are better than avr's, it doesnt mean that any integrated is better than every avr.

The marantz 6013 is a great amp for 2 channel playback and you would need to invest in a fairly decent 2 channel integrated to better it.

just my 2 pence.

The marantz 6013 is a great amp for 2 channel playback and you would need to invest in a fairly decent 2 channel integrated to better it.

That's a very good point actually. I have a 7010 so not much different and I've been absolutely delighted with it. I did plan to add a stereo amp and I'm always on the lookout in the classifieds for something suitable but I'm not sure I'm looking that enthusiastically as the Marantz is doing a sterling job.

That's a good point...

A large reason I was leaning towards the 6013, was that this range has a bias towards music fidelity over movies. Although, that would be a moot point if I'm using a switch and another amp for stereo music.

I was talking to one of my local audio stores, and they told me that internally, if an AVR receives a stereo signal, they first split the signal to match the number of outputs (in this case 9.2, so 11). It then looks at the number of outputs that are "on",and so would convert the signal back into stereo. So although not huge, there would still be a slight degradation in sound.

Even assuming he was correct, I think you may have a point... best to listen first.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom