Shared dial up internet a/cs

sticker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Is it possible to shared a dial up internet connection and if so what hardware and software is required.
Regards
John

I use ICS ( internet connection sharing) on my 3 PCs at home to share the dial up connection I have on my main PC.
You need 1 PC with net access.
Network interface cards on your client PCs ( ethernet or wireless : I use wireless but I've also used ethernet on occasion).

It took me a bit of fiddling to get it all working and my best advice is to us dynamic IP address asigning : setting them manually caused me a lot of grief.

Do a search on here about ICS and you'll find a thread that follows my trials and tribulations.

it works fine now on my 3 PCs but I have to turn off my firewall to get it working.

Thanks Keith for your advice

regards
John

If you have broadband of some kind another option depending on your needs is to use a router/hub, plug the PCs into the router and connect the router to your internet connection.

This creates a standard ethernet LAN where all the PCs can see each other while also providing shared access to the internet, and the router will have a firewall as well should you want one.

Thanks KRaGorn and Graham most useful. Unfortunately I won't be getting broadband as I'm emigrating in the very near future.
Regards
John

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom