Share settings Philips 43PUS6754 - 4K TV

Hello all,

Let us share experiences with the Philips PUS6754 - 4K TV series. Mine is the 43".

Being frustrated with the image quality of the Philips 43PUS6754 - 4K TV, I read a lot in this forum. I also played around a lot with my TV, not to real satisfaction.

I use the TV mainly for Netflix and Kodi, my kids for gaming on PS4. They never complain, but they don’t know the difference between green and yellow anyway :)

Here are my complaints
  • The image on Kodi and Netflix is pale, as if there is a haze over it, as if it is washed out.
  • And certainly with scenes with a window in the background, for example
  • Dark scenes are not beautiful.
These are my settings, before the software update recommended by forummer Charley Dinkumer (link 1, link 2 - thanks!), I will do teh update tonight and post the results here too.

These are my settings, 30 January 2021:

Software Version091.003.210.001
Picture StyleDolby vision Bright
Color51
Contrast51
Sharpness5
Brightness74
Expert - Motion styleOff
Expert - MPEG Artefact ReductionOff
Expert - Ultra ResolutionOff
Expert - Gamma0
Expert - Video Contrast95
Expert - Whitepoint Alignmentdefault / unchanged
Expert - Colour TemperatureNormal
General happiness of the owner w/these settingsLow :-(

The Dutch and Belgian consumer guides have also advised some settings, but some of them are lost in translation :) Also, they did not help me a lot.

I will add a screenshot.

Attachments

• 43PUS6754 Optimal Settings Cons Bond UK.png
    43PUS6754 Optimal Settings Cons Bond UK.png
    289.7 KB · Views: 61
So, here I am again.

So I did an update, removed all cables for 1 hour, did a "Factory Settings", and indeed, the result is amazing! It is not perfect, but is is sooooo much better!

Here my current, unmodified settings - beware: HDMI port for Apple 4K TV sets different mode :

Update software and then
'Factory Settings' (not 'Reinstall TV'.
Kodi /Smart TV modeApple TV 4K -
4K Dolby Vision 50 hz
Software Version091.003.255.001091.003.255.001
Picture StyleStandardDolby vision Bright
Color6550
Contrast6550
Sharpness53
Brightness5050
Expert - Color enhancementMediumN/A
Expert - Color TempCustom (default value)Warm
Expert - Whitepoint alignmentdefault / unchangeddefault / unchanged
Expert - Contrast modeOptimal for EnergyN/A
Expert - Dynamic contrastMinimumN/A
Expert - Video Contrast100100
Expert - Gamma00
Expert - Ultra resolutionOnOn
Expert - Noise reductionMediumN/A
Expert - MPEG Artefact ReductionMinimumMinimum
Expert - Motion styleStandardStandard

On another moment I will turn off all the Expert software 'enhancements' settings like the MPEG Artefact Reduction etc.

Last edited:

MATRIX16

Good morning read the post I have the same TV question maybe banal cokme do I go to Dolby Vision 50 hz, but you can't find the 4k a little dark thanks

Last edited:

dr no

Buongiorno letto il post io ho lo stesso televisore domanda magari banale cokme faccio ad andare su Dolby Vision 50 hz , ma a voi il 4k non lo trovate un pò scuro grazie
Please use a translator to post in English 👍

Jas321

Novice Member
So, here I am again.

So I did an update, removed all cables for 1 hour, did a "Factory Settings", and indeed, the result is amazing! It is not perfect, but is is sooooo much better!

Here my current, unmodified settings - beware: HDMI port for Apple 4K TV sets different mode :

Update software and then
'Factory Settings' (not 'Reinstall TV'.
Kodi /Smart TV modeApple TV 4K -
4K Dolby Vision 50 hz
Software Version091.003.255.001091.003.255.001
Picture StyleStandardDolby vision Bright
Color6550
Contrast6550
Sharpness53
Brightness5050
Expert - Color enhancementMediumN/A
Expert - Color TempCustom (default value)Warm
Expert - Whitepoint alignmentdefault / unchangeddefault / unchanged
Expert - Contrast modeOptimal for EnergyN/A
Expert - Dynamic contrastMinimumN/A
Expert - Video Contrast100100
Expert - Gamma00
Expert - Ultra resolutionOnOn
Expert - Noise reductionMediumN/A
Expert - MPEG Artefact ReductionMinimumMinimum
Expert - Motion styleStandardStandard

On another moment I will turn off all the Expert software 'enhancements' settings like the MPEG Artefact Reduction etc.
Here are my settings for philips 55 inch pus6754.
I've looked at loads of calibration and it's perfect now. Also people say this isn't a HDR TV it is just calibrate it and it will be perfect. Budget TV needs more calibration then higher ends. As this tv had dci-p3 of about 80% it will miss on some colours but it will still give a good accurate and satisfactory HDR experience so don't frown. I love this TV and it performs great amazing value especially HDR.

Here are my settings:

KEEP TO A STANDARD PROFILE AS THEN WHEN SWITCHING PROFILES YOUR SETTINGS WILL BE CONSISTENT OVER ALL SOURCES UNLIKE PERSONAL WHICH YOU HAVE TO REDO ALL OVER AGAIN
My tv is a 55 inch Philip pus6754 IPS PANEL

SDR
colour: around 65 for natural colour profile and max 75 for vivid punchy colours. Mine is [72]

Contrast(backlight): [100] people put this as lower for better blacks for ips but it sacrifices colour volume so keep it 100.

Sharpness: [5]

Brightness: [50]

Expert mode settings

Colour enhancement: Maximum

Colour temperature: [Custom] and white point alignment is all at 127 for WP and all 0 for BL didnt mess with that. Only changes temperature of screen.

Contrast Mode: [optimized for picture ] FOR IPS ONLY as it dims screen by analysing screen accordingly (OFF FOR VA PANELS)

dynamic contrast: [off]

Video contast: [100] (actual contrast)

Gamma: [0]

Ultra resolution: [On]

Noise reduction: [off]

MPEG artefact reduction: [off]

Motion style: [standard]

SDR - GAME
Put game mode instead of standard for less input lag
Everything same except temperature warm as better on eyes.

HDR
Choose HDR PERSONAL profile

colour: [100] has to be 100 to show full HDR colour as it has 80% dcip3 which is only a short difference in 99% dcip3 so must be 100 for good HDR

Contrast(backlight): [100] people put this as lower for better blacks for ips but it sacrifices colour volume so keep it 100.

Sharpness: [5]

Expert mode settings

Colour enhancement: Maximum

Colour temperature: Custom and white point alignment is all at 127 for WP and all 0 for BL didnt mess with that. Dont need to mess with that. Only changes temperature of screen.

Contrast Mode: [optimized for picture ] FOR IPS ONLY as it dims screen by analysing screen accordingly (OFF FOR VA PANELS)

HDR PLUS: [Minimum] shows more vibrant and realistic HDR compared to off which will look dull as 80% dcip3 makes the tv for some reason show realistic and muted colours so HDR minimum not more than thay otherwise oversaturating and ruining HDR

Gamma: [-2]

Motion style: [personal]

Natural Motion: [Medium]

FOR HDR10,HDR10+,AND HDR the hdr profile above will be calibrated
However as HDR10+ calibrates the tv panel by frame with the video clip the settings dont matter for HDR10+ anway. But do for HDR10 AND HDR

HDR-Game
I only change the profile to HDR game and the temperature to custom again to see the game fully in HDR. Preference again warm or custom.

Similarly Dolby Vison settings.
I didnt really mess with this as Dolby vision like HDR10+. Dolby is more advanced than HDR10+ and automatically optimised your tv frame by frame with its technology so keep it as it is mostly only certain settings matter as I will list below.
Dolby vision bright and dark use only one of these profiles this is again ur preference dark is better at dark and realistic while dolby vison opts for a bright more vibrant bettwe for areas with sunlight in. The hdr experience is the same just see where ur tv is positioned and it's your preference.

Dolby vision Bright which I use
colour: 60

Contrast(backlight): [100]

Sharpness: [1]

Expert mode settings

Colour temperature: Custom and white point alignment is all at 127 for WP and all 0 for BL didnt mess with that. Only changes temperature of screen.

Gamma: [-2]

Natural Motion: [medium]

Dolby vision Dark

colour: 50

Contrast(backlight): [50]

Sharpness: [1]

Expert mode settings

Colour temperature: Custom and white point alignment is all at 127 for WP and all 0 for BL didnt mess with that. Only changes temperature of screen.

Gamma: [0]

Natural Motion: [medium]

That's all my settings again DOLBY VISION SETTINGS ARE AUTOMATICALLY ADJUSTED FOR YOUR PANEL SO DOESNT MAKE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE, only difference could be brightness and contrast, colour between dolby vision bright and dark

Jas321

Novice Member
anche il mio hdr10 sembra scuro
Both of you did you put the HDR plus to a minimum if not do that, also try changing the screen temperature for it if it looks too brown. I just wanna say HDR10 isn't as optimised HDR10+ and may look worse than HDR10+ as it has limited colour compared to HDR10+. Also try changing the gamma values up or down. This could make the screen brighter.

MATRIX16

Entrambi avete messo l'HDR plus al minimo se non lo fate, provate anche a cambiare la temperatura dello schermo se sembra troppo marrone. Voglio solo dire che HDR10 non è ottimizzato per HDR10 + e potrebbe sembrare un peggio di HDR10 + in quanto ha un colore limitato rispetto a HDR10 +. Prova anche a cambiare i valori di gamma in alto o in basso. Questo potrebbe rendere lo schermo più luminoso.
Put HDR plus to a minimun, lowered -3 range now perfect thank you

DeusXM

Personally I find HDR Plus has to be on medium - otherwise, the image is just quite grey and dark at the same time. Medium gives it more brightness without overly greying dark areas.

The above settings do give a minor improvement but overall image quality is still very dark and dull - you'll see the difference straight away when you pop back out of HDR video into SDR.

I'm a little surprised you put Motion Smoothing on though, I'm so used to watching 24p movies that even the slightest motion smoothing just cheapens the image for me.

Jas321

Novice Member
Personally I find HDR Plus has to be on medium - otherwise, the image is just quite grey and dark at the same time. Medium gives it more brightness without overly greying dark areas.

The above settings do give a minor improvement but overall image quality is still very dark and dull - you'll see the difference straight away when you pop back out of HDR video into SDR.

I'm a little surprised you put Motion Smoothing on though, I'm so used to watching 24p movies that even the slightest motion smoothing just cheapens the image for me.
Different people find HDR differently, but the main objective of HDR is to show you colours as you're eyes would see it if your there. So it will look more lifelike and real and not vivid and colourful like SDR because SDR really has limited colour spectrum. Personally I think HDR medium is over saturating and makes it look more like SDR it destroys colour volume which is meant to make the image HDR in the first place but obviously if you like it then it's the best for you. And lolll I only put Motion Smoothing on cos I have an original 1080p ps4 and when in HDR it good for gaming. Remember though it's all preference thi

DeusXM

Different people find HDR differently, but the main objective of HDR is to show you colours as you're eyes would see it if your there. So it will look more lifelike and real and not vivid and colourful like SDR because SDR really has limited colour spectrum. Personally I think HDR medium is over saturating and makes it look more like SDR it destroys colour volume which is meant to make the image HDR in the first place but obviously if you like it then it's the best for you. And lolll I only put Motion Smoothing on cos I have an original 1080p ps4 and when in HDR it good for gaming. Remember though it's all preference thi
Indeed, HDR is supposed to provide more realistic and lifelike colours. Unfortunately, the realism created by HDR Pro on minimum appears to be one where the viewer has cataracts and is wearing sunglasses.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom