Share BT Home and Computer

lemmy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating installing a BT Home Mini system to augment my wi-fi coverage.

In a downstairs room I have a Virgin modem/router which covers adequately the ground floor Wi-Fi of my house. In my office upstairs, I have a cable connection to my router for my desktop work computer. I plan to improve upstairs coverage by connecting a BT disk to my cable and then using the satellites in upstairs various locations as required.

Given that I only have one cable running from the router to my office, how can I use that single cable to feed both my desktop machine and a BT Home disk? Any thoughts welcome!

You need something called an "ethernet switch." A basic unmanaged "desktop" switch with only a few ports cost less than 20GBP. There's nothing to "set up," just power up, plug in the network cables and away you go. Switches are powered devices, for a desktop switch almost certainly a "wall wart" PSU like your router, so don't forget to account for availing a mains socket. The cost difference between an 10/100 and 10/100/1000 (AKA "gigabit") switch is so small these days, you would be well advised to buy the latter, even if you don't have any gigabit devices yet. If your router has any gigabit ports, then use one of them for the "uplink" between the switch and the router.

Last edited:
I couldn't have wished for a more concise and knowledgeable answer - much appreciated and thank you, mickevh.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom