Share 1 sub between 2 amps?

Candaules

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies for what may be a very stupid question.
I have 2 amps in the same room. A Denon AVR and a Cambridge Audio CXA81. Also a speaker switch so I can use the 2 fronts (QA 3050i s) with either amp. On a side wall (at right angles to the other set-up) I have my computer, with a pair of QA 7000 for listening while I work, connected to the B output of the CXA. There’s not much bass on the small speakers, so I wondered if I could share the Sub (QA 3060s).
There are 2 inputs on the sub. I have the AVR connected to the ‘Left Mono’ input.
Could I connect the CXA to the right, red input? Or would that cause Terrible Things to happen?
If not, is there another way to connect both amps to the sub? They would not be switched on at the same time, but would be in standby.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If I understand things correctly (not a given, so please check ;) ) the Sub only requires one, mono input in either the L or R input.

On that basis, you could (I think) plug one amp's Sub Out into one of the inputs, and the other amp's Sub Out into the other of the inputs.

As long as you always made sure only one amp was feeding it a signal, I think that would work.

(Not an expert ;) )

Thanks for those suggestions. The switch could solve the problem, although it seems to have more sockets than I would actually need. I assume I would only use one half of each stereo pair?

Thanks for those suggestions. The switch could solve the problem, although it seems to have more sockets than I would actually need. I assume I would only use one half of each stereo pair?
Yep just match the jack colours. So for example the QA subs mono Input is the left (white jack), make sure you connect the 2 amps to each inputs white jack only. Then run an RCA cable from the white output jack on the switch to the sub's left mono (white jack) Input.

In the example switch that @Mr Wolf linked to you would only need to use 2 of the 3 aux inputs (each using only the white jack) and the single white output jack.

You can also buy 2 Input 1 output switches:

Again you can ignore the yellow (and red) jacks on the switch. Just use the white ones!

I have just found this on Amazon (in France, where I live) would it do the trick?
Amazon product ASIN B0753CQ668
Yep would be fine, just ignore the yellow video jacks. See my reply above! 👍🏼😊

Edit connecting the switch above would go:

CXA81 "sub out" ➡️ white jack "in 1" Switch - Using 1 single RCA cable

AVR "sub out" ➡️ white jack "in 2" Switch using 1 single RCA cable

White jack "out" switch ➡️ white "left mono" jack subwoofer using 1 single RCA cable.

So the switch and 3x single RCA cables is all you need. 🙂👍🏼

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom