1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shapr Projectors Questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by asokas, Apr 9, 2002.

1. asokas

asokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am considering buying a Sharp projector. I just have a few questions about them:

(1) What are the main differences between the Sharp XVZ7000E and the 9000? Also, what is the price difference?

(2) Both of the above are, I believe, LCD machines. They have something called the PGM15S/X, which is DLP. Yet, I never see it mentioned in these forums or any others. Is it not really a Home Cinema projector? If it is, how does it compare with those above.

(3) The Home Cinema Choice review mentioned 27 dead pixels on the 7000E. Is this likely to be a one-off or a feature of all the machines? If so, how serious is it?

(4) For the price of the XVZ7000E, should I be looking at any other machines as well?

AKS

2. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    asokas

i'm no expert and have not read anything about the Sharp 7000, but i will try & help so bear that in mind. :)

AFAIK the 7000 and 9000 projector are very different beasts.

The 7000 is an LCD model of compact dimensions wheras the 9000 is a DLP model which has just been reviewed
    in Home-Entertainment magazine (It did rather well - but you should see it yourself).

Dead pixels can be a problem on both lcd & dlp (more often on lcd) so its v. important to know beforehand what your supplier
    will agree is an acceptable number of dead pixels.

27 dead pixels seems rather high :eek:

I'm afraid I havn't a clue how much the 7000 costs but the current rrp for the 9000 is a staggering £10,000 ! This model is available from europe cheaper.

Alternatives are the Sim2 models, HT200/300, the Sony models (cheaper) as well as the Marantz VP12 (the one I have committed myself to if it ever turns up !)

Mike

3. asokas

asokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Thank you for this insight. Yes, that 9000 does seem expensive.

Happily, I am in Italy, and I note that the retail price for the 7000E is about £4500? Well, the price here including VAT is a mere 3149 Euro, which works out to around £1950. Big difference. I shall try to see if the 9000 is available here too, adn for what cost.

Anyone else on these questions?....

AKS

4. bonzichrille

bonzichrille
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi asokas

I've seen some comments on the sharp 7000...

As mikec pointed out the 7000 is a LCD machine( targeted at the homecinema market). It normaly retails for around 5500 euro and for that price it's not really competetive. The reviwer in the magazine I read stated that the performance was close to the plv-30 or the nec vt-45 but because the price was so high nothing could really justify a purshase. However, since you get hold of this machine for 3149 euro, it's a good deal.

The sharp 9000 is a dedicated homecinema pj. It's normal reatail price is around 11500 euro but maybe you can find someone for around 10000 (not really sure). This is a hell of a machine!!Suppose to be one of the best out there and can display deep blacks, astounding contast ( 1100:1) and brilliant colors. Compared to the LCD machine, the 7000 dont stand a chance....

(4) I would defenetly consider the Panasonic AE-100. The 7000 have a contrast ratio of around 400:1 but the panny is rated 500:1. The panny is alot cheaper and probably quiter too. Check it out!

5. asokas

asokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for your excellent feedback.

I bit the bullet and bought the Sharp 7000 for 3149 Euro yesterday. I looked at a number of movies and was very impressed with the sharpness and naturalness of the picture.

I guess ignorance is bliss though, with regards to the 9000....

Anyway, I figure that things change so fast that in a few years time something like the 9000 or better will cost the same or less than what I just paid. In the meantime, the 7000 gets me into the game and keeps me very happy for several years.

Also, being in Italy has its advantages regarding prices etc, but it can be a pain with regards to access. I am in the middle of the countryside, halfway between Florence and Rome, and so demand for these machines is rather limited. Hence, you only get the odd model here or there. Thus, one has to go with what is available. I guess I could have taken the train to Rome but it would have then been the hassle of searching out the Home Cinema stores; not really an easy task.

Hence, overall I am very happy with what I got, especially for the price. After all, it is less than the price of a lot of regular TVs.

Thank you all again.

AKS

6. Mannannan

Mannannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Asokas,

I am also in Italy,
    In Siena in fact, and I am trying to get into this home cinema thing at the moment.
    I have a few questions for you.
    Where did you buy from finally and do you have any recommendations for buying here, internet vs shop.
    I priced a few stores like imperial and Gigli, but they're stock seemed to be outdated/discontinued models at outrageous prices. compared to what you see on here.
    Also do you watch TV with the PJ and how did you set that up if so.

Thanks if you see this

7. asokas

asokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I eventually bought the projector from Trony. They're okay, but beware their guarantee policy. It's a year, but you can only bring back a defective product back to the store in the first 7 days. After that, you have to go out and hunt down the Assistance Center for the brand you purchased, with your Trony receipt in hand to get the free servicing. Depending on where you live, this can be very inconvenient.

My bulb died within a few hundred hours of use (when it's rated at over a thousand). The projector had been doing demos in the shop (of games consoles) and had some hours on it. Still, I was getting it on a discount and the number of hours did not seem so high. I now wonder whether it actually hit the 1000 hour mark in the shop, and the counter was reset in order to get the bulb going again. That might accout for why it only ran a couple of hundred hours more. No evidence (apart from the fact it WAS in used), and I am not saying they did it.

Either way, I found that their guarantee did NOT cover the early death of the bulb (which costs many hundreds of Euros to replace). Not such a discounted bargain after all?

Yes, I use it for the satellite TV too. Very easy to set up. Just have the TV as one of the inputs into your Home Cinema receiver/amplifier.

Apart from where I bought, I would not know where else to go really. There is a very big home electronics shop very near you, which I visit fairly often, at the Collestrada shopping center. Again though, it's one of those big places with somewhat indifferent staff. They do have a demo room, but it's got tons of stuff lying around, does not have a door you can close against the rest of the public etc.

Maybe you need to take a trip to Rome or Florence to get a really good dedicated shop

Regards,

Asoka

:nono:

8. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi!

If you're looking at sharp machines, but you want to avoid spending the sort of money requires by the 9000E then you REALLY ought to look at the Sharp PG-M20X. its is a small unit, excellent contrast 1100:1, very bright and has an EXCELLENT inbuilt scaler and de-interlacer. In short it's a business presentation projector that thinks its a home theatre projector.

The ONLY thing I can say is that it's not the quietest machine... but as long as it's not sitting by your ear, then this isn't really an issue. It is a first class machine for the money.

9. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HEY lads checkout price japan for the 9000(£2795)imported.
    Or its big bro the xv 10000 with dvi not much more...:eek: :eek:

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    vulkan75

Just make sure you have an extended viewing of a DLP before you purchase. I was all ready to go with an MT8 but demoing it over a weekend found I got headaches and eyestrain so am sticking with LCD for now. Both fantastic machines (so the reviews say) but a complete waste of money if you find after purchase you suffer from the dreaded rainbows.

11. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi neil,how you doin?..I havnt gone ahead with the sharp yet cos i'm having trouble getting my supplier to take my hs10 back.
    They want to get their dirty mits over it, to see if they can fix it.(not happy about giving them my unit to tinker with if their going to send it back to me).
    Anyway the only dlps I have seen in action,was the big yamaha at the show and selco owl's new one the 300 I think.I didnt really notice any rainbows but I didnt have a long watch.Did you notice them straight away?

The sharps reveiw seems pretty good in this area,but I cant find anyone to demo me one...