1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaolin Soccer

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Loafer316, May 21, 2003.

1. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just got my copy from cd-wow..!! what a great film...some bits had me in stitches!!!:rotfl:

Also thxs for recommending Infernal Affairs.....i think Tony Leung is qwality!!...i've only got my oldy Criterion Hard Boiled with him in it...any other good films of his?? in a similar genre??

2. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hero, Leung plays broken sword!

This film is not getting a uk cinema release until 2004, but is available on DVD from dddhouse.com

If you liked Crouching Tiger, then this will knock your socks off.

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Apart from loads of Hong Kong movies that are never released outside HK/China,

In the mood for love (Tony Leung and Maggie Chung - both also in Hero) and Happy Together (Tony Leung and the late Leslie Chung), both directed by Wong Kar-Wai. In the mood for love won the Cannes 2000 Best Actor and Best Cinematography, while Happy Together won Cannes 1997 Best Director and was nominated for the Golden Palm.

2 Beautiful films.

Wasabi

4. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wasabi...whats the best versions to get and where can i buy them....from a reputable supplier??

thxs m8!:smashin:

5. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I give you a link http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3?search=in+the+mood+for+love&land=%&ok=go&mvis=ok&region=%

(this site is superb, it has at the moment nearly 90000 links to reviews of around 37000 dvd releases and it increases everyday, and many of these reviews really go into detail of the film/features/transfer of picture and sound quality. As the review links are from everywhere in the world, you can with a bit of time summarise yourself which region is the best of a dvd release)

This site has also been mentioned many times on this forum
    http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/comparisons/film_results_page.php?fid=1538 and this one is very good for a quick summary of features and sometimes it gives you a line or two about the picture and sound quality, but no near in depth as if you would search yourself with the help of dvd-basen).

I haven't seen Happy Together on dvd, only in the movies so I can't say but there are only 2 releases and its both on region 0 and the Mei-ah has a slight better transfer than the Kino although Kino is still a good transfer.

For - In the mood for love - definitely go for the French TF1 limited edition Reg2 while you can (I think you can still get it from amazon France http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/AS...31706/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/171-1414205-4408212)

For a superb test of the 2 best versions
    http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/inthemoodforlove.htm

If not, then choose the US Reg1 Criterion (£19 at dvdpacific.com), followed by Canadian Seville Reg1 (£13 at dvdsoon.com). HK's Mei-Ah 2disc SE Reg0 (£16 at hkflix.com) and Australia's Reg4 (£11 at familyboxoffice.com.au) is quite ok, while the UK Tartan Reg2 (£14 at splashdvd.com) release is very poor compared with them.

For purchase use www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk

Wasabi,

Happy Hunting ;p

6. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    xcellent wasabi!!! top man!!!