Shanling M0 Portable Audio Player and Bluetooth Amp Review

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Phil Hinton, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,818
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    2. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,828
      Looks like a really interesting little gizmo, credit to Shanling for what they've done for the money.

Any indication on what the battery life is like?

3. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +937
      Battery life will be dependant on how it is used - what functions you enable. Other reviews have said around 12-15 hours

4. HugoFJH

HugoFJH

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +131
      one thing Im not 100% sure about from the review - can you use Bluetooth headphones at the same time as connecting to your phone via Bluetooth? I suspect not but wasn't sure

5. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,828
      Out of interest, what would be the point of that?

6. Grumpyrocker

Grumpyrocker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +139
      There are some very good inexpensive rechargeable Bluetooth dongles available if you just want to use some decent wired headphones with your socket-less phone.

7. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +982
      I've been eyeing this up for a while. Had to chuckle at the "easily lost" comment. Thanks Ed.

8. HugoFJH

HugoFJH

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +131
      surely it would use the DAC of the Shanling MO to improve the sound quality from the cheaper one in the phone (I was also hoping it could also be used as a headphone amp in this scenario)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    9. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +982
      How does the DAC in this compare with the likes of the audioquest dragonfly Black or Red?

10. kinggo

kinggo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +132
      I'm not exactly into this kind of stuff but AFAIK, BT goes out as digital, MO would also pass that as digital to you headphones and at the end you would get what DAC in them converts to analog.

11. Pan A Sonic

Pan A Sonic
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +25
      This little player is a gift from Shanling. For 99 coins it is a no-brainer.

*** following you will find the impressions of my own ears, Ed Selley made an interesting comment about better clock arrangements of added gear to prevent timing issues for people sensitive to it ***

As long as you dont have power hungry in-ear/headphones theres no need to attach a mojo or ifi amp to it. An attached Mojo/Ifi will give you more power to drive your high-impendance phones but you wont receive any unnatural new level of "rythm and drive". If you combine the M0 with a low-impendance and of course good quality headphone/inears you will have all the rythm and drive intended by the recording of a song.

As an active member of the head fi community i often see enthusiasts combining the little M0 with inears of a very high price dimension. Why? Its very small and portable and sovereignly handle over the music-informations of your audio-files to your headphones/inears and if a dac is as well done and neutral as the M0 then its up to your phones how good your music will sound.

I enjoy the tiny device with my Denon AH-D5200 headphones and IMR R1 in-ears. Everytime i relax on my couch and listen to the music i listened to hundreds of times before it still makes me smile.

10209440.jpg

Shanling M0_17.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    12. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,828
      This is what I don't get and I think I must be misunderstanding you:
      The two uses that make sense:
      Phone playing -> BT -> Shanling -> Wired headphones (here you get benefit of the improved SQ from the Shanling).
      Shanling playing -> BT -> BT headphones (here it is just BT convenience from the Shanling to BT phones)

There's surely no benefit (even if you could do it) to doing the following, which is what I think your original message implied (unless I misundestood you).

That to me implies this:
      Phone playing -> BT -> Shanling -> BT -> BT headphones.

The only D-A conversion happening above is happening in the BT headphones. All you might be doing in the Shanling is adding another level of BT artefacts.

13. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,818
      There are but (as far as I know), none of them can then operate as a player in their own right playing stored content as well.

If the Bluetooth that comes off the phone is- for the sake of argument- SBC, the data has been lost and changing it to Apt-X or LDAC won't bring it back. The Bluetooth is either send or receive anyway, it can't do both.

They're both ESS based DACs so they are quite similar. The Dragonflys have more oomph but can't handle the same breadth of formats and sample rates. Neither can they run autonomously.

Both the iFi and Chord have considerably more extensive clock arrangements that the Shanling. For people sensitive to timing issues (and many people have no idea they are, they simply don't find music fulfilling long term and often feel it is actively fatiguing), both of the dedicated DACs are actively better at ensuring this isn't an issue. I'm pleased you find that the M0 is all you need but it isn't the case that other products simply only offer more power because this isn't the case.

14. HugoFJH

HugoFJH

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +131
      Thank you both much appreciated.

Just out of interest, forgetting about the phone for a moment - just using the MO in its full capacity as a portable audio player with BT headphones - is it likelier to be any louder than the same BT earbuds with a mobile phone (note 9 , not that it should make any difference)

Just finding most buds are useless on the Jubilee tube line, even with noise cancelling enabled the underground noise drowns out the music (admittedly not helped by the EU nanny state ruling from a few years ago having a "false" amp limit on a lot of devices)

The bud size is as tight fitting as possible so that isn't going to be a resolution here.

15. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +672
      I have the Sony players A25 and A35, and they have a special in ear noise cancelling earphones the microphones are in the bud and. the electronics for the cancelling is in the player. I find them very effective in trains,aircraft and buses and restaurants.
      My experience is that ear buds are more effective than full sized headphones for dealing with external noise,because the greater area of the back of the can will drum more.
      Volume levels are fine in any of those environments with the Sony. The volume can be brought beyond the EU safe limit and will only go back after an extended period of operation.
      The external DACs of the Dragonfly or Cyrus soundkey will bring the sound levels up to "threshold of pain levels" with any reasonable headphones.These link into a usb connection on the mobile phone and replace the phones DAC and amolifamp with their own. The Cyrus can go really really loud, and still be very clear.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    16. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +982
      Well the price + some Xmas money + shopping around / voucher codes + Ed's fine review have all convinced me to take a punt with this. Managed to score it for a smidge over £80 new (plus cashback).

I did fancy the dragonfly red but there's so much value per pound (both currency and mass) that it would be rude not to get this.

In fact, I even have change to look for some headphones. Now to build a digital library...

17. Grumpyrocker

Grumpyrocker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +139
      My wife bought me a Shanling M0 for Christmas. I'm absolutely delighted with it. Audio output is on par with anything I've used previously - it's very very good. Not just "for its size" good, but really good full stop.

The interface is neat and easy to use once you've spent a day or so with it. And the device is packed with functionality. The little volume wheel/button is very nice indeed.

It works wonderfully as a DAC/Headphone Amp for my Chromebook without any driver issues. I've less need for this use with my PC as I have an SMSL M3 DAC, but I tried it and it works well with Windows too.

I've used it as a bluetooth receiver from my phone and am pleased with the results. I've also used it to send to bluetooth headphones. However my main use has been the traditional one of playing files from the M0 itself through the headphone jack - and doing that sounds fabulous.

What a great little device. BTW there was a firmware update in the week running up to Christmas for those who didn't know.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    18. C4man

C4man

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51

19. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +982
      Certainly. I ordered it from Banggood.com and used a voucher TTxBG10

Ordered from them before so looking forward to getting it.

20. C4man

C4man

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51
      Thanks very much