Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Movie Review

richp007

Distinguished Member
"The last time we saw a western genre take on eastern legends on this scale, John Carpenter and Kurt Russell gave us something of a rumble down in Chinatown. This is Marvel’s version of that and it’s every bit as good."

Big Trouble in Little China in the MCU.

Oh my good Lord....

I'm going for a lie down.

ggwoodland

This is the first film that tempted me back to my local Everyman (unfortunately not Imax) in 18 months. I am a big fun of Kung Fu movies going way back to VHS days and I even have some Shang Chi comics. I really enjoyed this and the fight scenes were more kinetic and human in scale which is a nice touch from some previous films. The leads had a good chemistry and Tony Leung as the villain was very sympathetic.
Also the cameo by Trevor from Liverpool was great - all in all a good day at the flicks - george

Last edited:

nufcfan1

Saw this yesterday and had no great expectations as I know very little about the character and his comic book origins. Have to say I enjoyed it as it actually had a decent story, as well as a villain who had depth and a character arc. The martial arts sequences are very well choreographed especially the bus sequence. The story does contain strong fantasy elements to the end but it differentiates it in the marvel universe, and definitely was interesting to watch. The post credit scenes are also worth hanging around for.

Last edited:

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I find myself thinking about the movie the next day, which is always a good sign. I'm looking forward to seeing it again with managed expectations, and maybe bumping my score up further in Mark's direction. It won't be a 9 though. Far too generic in my opinion to deserve that kind of heady praise. I'm glad folks are enjoying it though.

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
@Mark Costello I think you missed a trick by not calling your review subtitle "Ten Rings to Rule them All" :)
Doh. You are right of course chief……but Slavemaster Harlow demanded the review be submitted by 1am last night and I ran out of coffee at 12:53, meaning brain stopped working at 12:54…….

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Just walked in from seeing this. I think you underscored it.
It’s a 10 from me!
Magnificent from start to finish.
Highlight for me was
the fight on the bamboo scaffolding. Gripping stuff!

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Mixed thoughts on this one, keep veering between 7 and 8 so I probably need to split the difference and go for 7.5

Whilst I know of the character, and has been part of Avengers in the comics in recent years, and completely underserved by those appearances, I’ve never read the original 70s classic run by Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy. It was supposedly a mashup of Bruce Lee and James Bond, and he was the son of Fu Manchu.

So it’s pretty clear the character has been heavily retconned for the movie, and without the comics investment I don’t have any baggage to that effect. So at a high level, it’s pretty formula MCU for introducing a solo character, and borrows a bit too much from the Black Panther template. This means it does come across as formulaic in parts, but there’s no denying it’s a formula that always seems to hit above average, for popcorn flicks.

There is no doubt that it is more interesting and entertaining when leaning into the Chinese warrior fantasy genre, but this is also the Marvel formula, pick a movie genre and put the MCU spin on it. How much you then like the movie will be greatly influenced by your relative love of Asian Martial Arts and Chinese fantasy stuff like Crouching Tiger. And doing this can be risky, one man’s homage can be another man’s ripoff/insult, likewise first-time exposure to these elements can also be marmite.

Accepting all of the above, the movie is a bit like 4 movies in one. The initial Speed sequence, then the Jackie Chan sequence are pretty decent, it then sags quite a lot with exposition, and talkIness, and then veers into a bit of cutesy comedy that lost me a bit, but the fantasy finale, despite a couple of jarring bits, was epic, and got the emotions going a bit.

That being said it is supremely entertaining, so have to recommend.

Mainly moans:-

Don’t understand some of the backlash or criticisms for this movie. Complaints about the characters and lack of stars, compared to Avengers/Guardians when most of those original actors were not that well known or in-vogue, Marvel took risks then and they are taking risks now. So many pundits (including some YouTube channels I respect) have had it in for this movie from the start, and I just don’t get it. At least watch it first.

There is a tone for the MCU that I prefer and that is the Cap/Avengers tone that leans more into serious/dark vibes. So I didn’t care for Slattery and Chickenpig, albeit I did laugh out loud at the play dead scene on the battlefield.

I don’t know how Michelle Yeoh can be so charismatic and cool in this, yet be so wooden and dislike able in ST Discovery, but I know deep down it’s the level of competence in the Producers.

Did not dislike her presence or character, but didn’t find Aquafina banter that funny, despite lots of reviews gushing over it. I don’t want to labour the issue of her miraculous previously undiscovered archer ability, no doubt others will have something to say, I know why they do it, but moments like this can actually be properly earned by better writing and setup.

Too much like Black Panther in places, again, I understand that you can go with what works, when introducing a new solo hero from a different cultural background, and appeal to mainstream as well, but it felt too familiar at times.

Fairly ballsy to power up Shang-Chi with the 10 rings. As a human martial artist you couldn’t see how he would ultimately be a main player in this phase of MCU, but how they’ve done this is pretty clever.

The ‘signal’ sent by the rings is intriguing. Some have said Galactus, I don’t think so, possibly something more akin to the Annihilation Wave. i do wonder how Marvel are going to juggle all this side-by-side, as we have nods to the Kree Skrull War, Secret Invasion, Celestials, and the multiverse all in motion at once. We also never found out who the initial ‘Protector’ was who helped imprison the big-bad, either, or did I miss that? Later Edit: looks like I did, The Great Protectior was the White Dragon Shang-Chi rode on.

They also seem to have appropriated quite a bit of Iron Fist and Kuun Lun for this Shang-Chi origin, so wonder what this now means for Iron Fist in the MCU-proper?

Last edited:

xar

Saw it last night and found it a bit poor! Started good with decent hand-to-hand combat, but then got increasingly outlandish and CGI heavy while somehow becoming more generic and dull. The characters were all fun enough, but it just felt a bit silly. Like a GI Joe movie.

I am a huge MCU fan having just finished all movies in chronological order in anticipation of the next phase starting, so was very much looking forward to it, noting this was the first movie I have actively been to the cinema to see since Endgame (any movie, not just MCU).

I would probably score it a 6 as I liked the main characters and the usual MCU ability to tackle deep subjects sprinkled with humour worked well, but I left the cinema with minimal desire to see it again. Will try again when its on Disney+ to see if I just wasn't in the mood, but at this point I found it only marginally better than the recent Suicide Squad.

Morden

"The last time we saw a western genre take on eastern legends on this scale, John Carpenter and Kurt Russell gave us something of a rumble down in Chinatown. This is Marvel’s version of that and it’s every bit as good."

Big Trouble in Little China in the MCU.

Oh my good Lord....

I'm going for a lie down.
I loved that film.

Ace Of Wands

I must admit I don’t think I’ve seen a single Marvel movie. However from what I can gather this looks a lot different to anything else they have released before (in a good way). Perhaps this will draw in more outsiders like myself to the Marvel Universe 👍🏻

damo09

When’s it coming to Disney plus?

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I shall keep my eyes open for when this comes out on BluRay - I only knew of it's existence as we follow what Michelle (Yeoh) is up to, as my wife and her were childhood friends - I hadn't twigged it was a part of the Marvel universe though.
Oooh, have you met her (Michelle, not your wife!)?

Phillyo118

"Saw it last night and found it a bit poor! Started good with decent hand-to-hand combat, but then got increasingly outlandish and CGI heavy while somehow becoming more generic and dull. The characters were all fun enough, but it just felt a bit silly. Like a GI Joe movie."

My sentiments exactly. Far too much CGI when it wasn't really needed, and it looked very obvious. A shame really.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Awesome review mate, you've just made it a date night for me and Mrs N on Monday, as soon as i mentioned carpenter, Russell and BTILC, she made a weird noise and said yes :)

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Oooh, have you met her (Michelle, not your wife!)?

No. My wife was orphaned as a kid, and sent to boarding school over here by her guardian uncle (the then transport minister for Malaysia), so they lost touch.

We have photos of them together as kids; they used to do ballet together and Michelle, being slightly older, would take the kids to the cinema and so on. The families were quite close back then.

My wife, also went to school with the Underwood brothers (Tony & Rory) back in Ipoh.

How the hell she's ended up with me?! - talk about falling on hard times; she should have been a 'Crazy Rich Asian', but another uncle took her inheritance and lost the lot, ploughing it into his failing business!! :rolleyes: Still, every cloud and all that - she wouldn't have looked twice at me, had she still been an heiress! Desperate times, means desperate measures!:D

roymunsen

"Saw it last night and found it a bit poor! Started good with decent hand-to-hand combat, but then got increasingly outlandish and CGI heavy while somehow becoming more generic and dull. The characters were all fun enough, but it just felt a bit silly. Like a GI Joe movie."

My sentiments exactly. Far too much CGI when it wasn't really needed, and it looked very obvious. A shame really.

Considering how the third act went, I can't see how you could have achieved this with practical effects. Everything looked decent to me, nothing like the train wreck of Black Panther's finale.

xar

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar