Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

xar

Good review. I wasn't as enamoured with the movie as I had hoped to be. Enjoyed the first half up to the scaffolding scene, started to lose interest after that - my 3 mates who saw it all said something similar, with a view that it was more aimed at kids/trying to get a new audience into the MCU. I didn't dislike it, but didn't love it either.

In terms of AV quality, seeing it at the cinema then again on Disney+, I fully agree that the IMAX enhanced picture quality was brilliant (I have a 3m wide 16:9 screen for reference, with a native 4k projector), but the sound was lacking.

Had to turn it waaaaaay up and even then it felt like the bass was lacking and the atmos/surrounds were a bit light. If they could beef up the sound quality (even if they charged a premium - appreciating I will get flak for saying that), then I could potentially see streaming as a viable contender for physical moving forward.

BOFH_UK

Uh, not to be that guy but I think the bit about Eternals struggling is out of date. Second weekend has been very positive for Eternals especially outside of the US and I believe it's now running about $24m ahead of Shang-Chi at the same point. It's down in the US by about $28m but bear in mind Shang-Chi had a 4 day weekend (I want to say Labour Day weekend?) for its first week. If you just look at those first 3 days there's 'only' $4m in it.

Anyway, very much looking forward to revisiting this on D+ probably at some point this week. Great film and definitely looking forward to seeing more from its leads. The UHD can get picked up alongside Black Widow when they hit the 2 for £25 sales in a few months time.

kahlua

top review cas really enjoyed this in imax d+ ,id normally buy these discs but not so sure now ,pity we cant get imax on disc.

Morden

Enjoyed this on disney +, not in a hurry to rewatch it any time soon, unlike say Black Panther, or infinity war/endgame, but it was enjoyable none the less.

I did get the Crouching Tiger vibe in it at times and the Jackie Chan references in 1st fight scene on the bus. And maybe showing my age, it reminded me of The Water Margin too at times.

Just a pity Disney broke the app on my Sony TV, but i did watch it in 4k DV imax enhanced with ATMOS on via my ATV 4k.

Though Apple use Dolby Mat Atmos, not sure what difference that makes?

Last edited:

dts

Distinguished Member
Really enjoyed this more then I should of.Great review Cas...looked great with imax enhanced...but was definitely lacking in the sound department...even the disc has the dreaded "Atmouse"...so has to be turned up.Disney + for me is worth every penny.

KingD

streamed this the other night and found the sound to be wanting too, throught something was wrong with my setup, turning it up helped but still sounded like something missing, felt like a lot of it was almost in stereo (even thought it wasnt)

lgans316

Distinguished Member
streamed this the other night and found the sound to be wanting too, throught something was wrong with my setup, turning it up helped but still sounded like something missing, felt like a lot of it was almost in stereo (even thought it wasnt)

As per Shane aka SpareChange, this is Atmoused in the sense, height channel is not utilised properly bass lacks weight and doesn't dig deep. He says as a 7.1 ch mix, this is almost fine.

zubeir

First time I watched in the Cinema, enjoyable movie. Watched it again on Disney + on the weekend in the Imax format with DV/Atmos, it was superb.

stevendep

Sound a 10 ??
I have to check my system for loose cables i think.
It lacked dynamics, bass and very poor use of Atmos
Was just another Marvel sound defected release

zubeir

Sound a 10 ??
I have to check my system for loose cables i think.
It lacked dynamics, bass and very poor use of Atmos
Was just another Marvel sound defected release
The Disney + version audio was superb, excellent bass response.

Gambit1977

The effects in this were abysmal.
I really enjoyed it up until a very specific point then it just lost the plot for me.

It’s interesting that Marvel films have quite literally become the Disney cartoons of the 70s and 80s now.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Cheers Cas, too many threads talking about this one right now :laugh:

I'll only briefly say that I liked it up until they arrived at the final location, and then it pretty much fell apart for me - undoing the previous good work.

An interesting entry into the MCU for sure, however not one I'll be revisiting.

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
Thanks as always Cas,

Took this for a spin on Friday Evening, And have to admit I was surprised at how good it actually was. I can only echo your references to CTHD ect.
However I also agree with others that it did have quite the stutter at one point but overall very good.
The short parts from the other MCU character definitely left the door wide open, Although I am not entirely sure where these new characters will fit in?
I could see a TV series spin off working quite well actually :D

La Finta Nonna

Yet another good review Cas I loved the film definitely one of my favourite films of the year and I am looking forward to seeing it again on disc

dfdd

will reserve final judgement til seeing the physical disc version, but why is this upscaled from a 2k DI for the disc release when shot in imax-another fraudulent uhd picture release

Dorian

It really annoys that in 2021 they are still upscaling to 4k instead a d of using 4KDI
It's the visual effects - would quadruple an already sizeable render budget. This is where older films have a big advantage - an easy 4k transfer when even 35mm can be scanned at 4k.

I'm hoping to watch this soon. Didn't enjoy Black Widow, but this looks a lot better.

Last edited:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Watched this on Disney + the other night in imax and it was genuinely jaw dropping loved the movie too much better than black window...

keithwiggins

Nodular

The atmos mix is rubbish for a new film.

Slinkywizard

The Disney + version audio was superb, excellent bass response.
I respectfully disagree. I watched it on Disney+ and the LFE has had its legs chopped off at 20Hz — there is no bottom at the bottom end. There is also almost no use whatsoever of height channels, and the entire track has not been normalized to reference, it is substantially quieter. All that before we even talk about the very audible compression artefacts throughout, most notably during dialogue.

It's going to vary from system to system and person to person how that's actually experienced. I personally don't think the Disney+ version of the audio can be called good by any non-subjective measurement. It's average at best, and in my personal view below average, though some way shy of 'bad'.

I mean, I don't care a huge amount for the movie itself. But if I did, I would be very irritated that I could only have the best audio on disc and only the best visual format on stream. It seems there is no single version that gives you the best of both worlds and it makes me wonder whether certain people at Disney are talking to other certain people at Disney.

Last edited:

Carrera1963

Hmm, I’ve got the physical disc here, but not sure if I should go for the D+ version instead for the aspect ratio.

(Watching this weekend with mates, but on a non-Atmos system)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR