Shame on you, do you want another Jeff Gerstmann at avforums? Deleting threads

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Dapunk, Jan 15, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dapunk

Dapunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Deleting threads concerning ********, are you censoring comment and review, the very reason this site actually exists and has so many members ?

Now suddenly a thread is unpopular with an advertiser or potential advertiser and you delete it ?

I can understand if any of the content was potentially inflamatory ... fine, let ****** seek a court order towards the identity of the poster to proceed with a libel action.

Members such as myself and others even went as far as defending ****** service, and the original poster appeared to be ranting a loosing battle.

Sorry but deleting threads of this nature, your destroying your very foundation and integrity.

Dapunk

2. lcd-fanatic

lcd-fanatic
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have to agree with this and I know others who have spoke of the recent dissapearing threads. I think it's time for some of us to head to pastures greener.

3. Hoax

Hoax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think its time to delete this thread! :rolleyes:

4. chippyteaforme

chippyteaforme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    OK, seeing as how I'm a moderator on other forums myself, I'll put my opinion forward.

1) Saying 'the OP was ranting a losing battle'. The fact is that if that thread remained, it would be visible in Google (not good), and also - how many people are going to read a thread in depth, of that nature, to find out that the OP was actually talking crap? It was posted by a user with NO posting history. Makes it a bit hard to take them seriously when their sole contribution is 'DONT BUY FROM XXX!!'.

Imagine seeing the front of a newspaper (which is pretty much how the front of a forum works). The last thing you'd want to see is your name on the front page, with 'USELESS TRADER, AVOID' or something next to it, when you know it isn't the case. The fact is, lots of people will see that information and not read the inner article to see how truthful it is.

2) I'm very happy with the service I've received on here so far from staff et.al. WIthout being shown all the 'disappearing threads' I can't say for sure, but I doubt they are worth quitting over.

Would you like your toys back, I'm sure we can get them all back into your pram :)

5. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    @ Bencrest: some good points there.

who says the thread has been deleted it's just you can't see it while advice is taken on certain aspect's of the thread.

@ Dapunk: while I personally sympathise with a lot in your post as a moderator you have to take a wider view, we can not let people post or carry on with some sort of agenda like the OP. If anybody has a problem with this of any other "disappearing" posts feel free to take it up with a supermod or forum Admin.

Curly

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What a stupid comment that is. I assume that you will re-imburse Stuart Wright and AV Forums for the costs of defending any such action?

For your information the person who registered here purely to stir up trouble for this company was posting in cowardly manner from behind a cloak of anonymity. The forum rules are quite straight forward on what people are allowed to say about retailers and that particular thread crossed the line which is why I have now deleted it.

Sorry to hear that but I have cancelled your membership here as I assume that is what you wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.