1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shame its a Samsung PS42S5H!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ponty, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Ponty

Ponty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I finally got around to mounting my wall Plasma and thought I'd post some piccies of the mount..

Only problem is that its a Samsung and I'm not too thrilled about its performance....Green dot crawl rules! That said, SKY performance is pretty much what I expected, DVD is not as good as I'd hoped.

I should have returned it within my 7 days grace, but due to wanting to wall mount I pretty much missed the boat in that I didn't watch it enough to fully realise its shortcomings...

Two things that still pee me off are...(there are others, but these are the main)

- Green dot crawl, it struggles to cope with dark shadows especially on faces and leaves a green tinge to skintones
    - Watching footy/rugby I notice sudden brightness variations when the camera pans. I'm sure its there at other times, just less noticable.

I have been PM'ng Piers with regard to the green dot crawl and he believes that through ISF he can eliminate/vastly reduce the green dot crawl. Has anybody else had a similar problem that has been cured by ISF? I don't want to waste £300 when what I should do is save up for a better panel

With regard to the brightness changes, can owners (are there any left) tell me if they see this too and if it can be cured by switching some setting off in the service menu?

Any constructive advice appreciated (I know its not the best around, but I'm stuck with it for the forseable future)

Ta

Hope my attachements appear?

Attached Files:

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    I haven't had those problems but Piers (he calibrated two of my panels) is as straight as they come and if he says he can help I would take his word for it.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Ponty, love the room mate, looks ****ing awsome, contemporary without feeling cold, still feels like a room you can really relax in.

Spot on!

4. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I better not show my wife those pics as that wooden furniture is what my missus wants and it comes from Next and it costs a few quid, if she had that it would mean me sacraficing the LCD for the bedroom!!!! :cool:

But seriously that looks like an excellent set up there, well done, and best of all, just try to enjoy your plasma, it looks great!

James

5. Ponty

Ponty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James - Especially when you've got to butcher the sideboard to get all your kit in! Its not too bad, but I had to take a big section of the back off as you can't get the kit in from the front (and I needed the ventilation too)

Any advice on improving the picture of the beast would be appreciated?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    None of us are as good at that bit as Piers, or Gordon. It's a shame you 'have' to spend the extra just to make it acceptable. Sounds like a greyscale problem.

7. willsmeister

willsmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have one of these plasmas
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19375

having run it in for around 200hrs i "calibrated" it with a THX dvd. The settings returned were

contrast 58
    brightness 57
    sharpness 61
    colour 35

I found that putting the energy saving option onto auto saving significantly reduced brightness fluctuations and that the settings above were awesome with DVD through s-video.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on.

8. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    on a positive note!
    great room and great setup/how uv implemented it all!

top marks ;)

9. Ponty

Ponty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the complimentary comments regarding the decor...Looks like the only thing I got wrong was the most important....choice of panel!

Willsmesiter - Do you suffer green dot crawl? I found that the fluctuations were worse with power savings on? I use a Samsung HD850 through HDMI and if anything I get more dot crawl on this than sky? I might try through scart tonight? I don't habe any s/video or component leads running up the trunking but could quite easily (probably have to get component leads for Piers DVD player anyway)

10. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Ponty, looks great... can I ask what that effect on the back wall (behind your plasma) is? I'm about to redocrate a room and really like that look.

11. willsmeister

willsmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - I am not suffering with green dot on mine - if you are it may be an idea to go into the colour weakness menu and turning the green down a little? Try the settings that i posted with colour on normal. My connections are
    scart 1 - digibox (rgb)
    scart 2 - vcr
    av - ps2
    s-video - dvd
    I have not tried hdmi yet but i will shortly be getting an upscaling dvd player soon.

12. Ponty

Ponty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Willmeister - I already have the green toned right down (but it makes little difference).

ANY OTHER SAMSUNG OWNERS OUT THERE WANT TO COMMENT?

Are you saying that you don't get green stubble/shadows on faces etc If you are saying definately not then maybe I have a faulty one? Have a good look for me. Try watching LOST or Bourne Identity on DVD (opening scene where they drag him out of the water)

I'm using quality cables, I've tried a Monster/IX0S611 and a Wireworld scart, and original HDMI, Molex and currently Van Den Hul. So no duff cables Maybe the HDMI route is not so good. I think I need to try component?

I get green dot crawl on sky, but I can get it worse on DVD, Italian Job was terrible last night, green faces everywhere.

ChrisW - Its wall paper, £15 a roll from wallpaperdirect online

13. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your set isn't faulty, don't bother calling Samsung about it.

14. willsmeister

willsmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ponty - I would get in touch with Samsung. I definitely do not get any green faces on any input. You must take some of the comments about samsung on here with a pinch of salt - I am very happy with mine. Dont believe the hype...

15. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well said Willsmeister. I am very happy with mine too. I was thinking about this and similar threads last night when watching various programmes (e.g. Crouching Tiger, a programme about rock music and also Match of the Day). The picture was very good on all three. I thought I ought to invite some of the knockers round to my house to see it.

16. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Are you calling me a tit?? :rotfl:

Anyway, i replaced my S5H with a phd8 and the difference, for me, is massive.

If however i had been content with my £700 cheaper S5H, i would be a bit richer!