• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

shambles buying humax foxsat hdr

deezel

Established Member
This is the 4th pvr I've bought in a year and in what turned out to be another vain attempt at securing a reliable unit this turned out the worst experience off all, not that I can blame Humax but rather the excuse for a company I ordered from.

After opening the plastic covering bag there lay the box holding all my expectations, somewhat lower now I must admit because of former pvr buying experiences.

The box was slightly damaged in three places and bulging and some of the contents were loose.

Since it was pretty obvious the unit had been out of the box and then clumsily stuffed back I got on to........

To cut a long story short...

Booked collection with an email confirmation, no one turned up , no phone call, no email, nothing

Wasted the whole day.

Second booked collection they got it right

I complained and eventually got an arrogant email without even an apology.

This is the last time I will use Dixons.. a complete shambles.

deezel

Established Member
Bought another digihome dtr80 ( refurbished), this time from aria.

Have had 4 of these now ( one a replacement) , 3 from ebuyer

First one had problems within 2 weeks, sent it back got a replacement which lasted 3 months.

The other one my partner has and its still ok but with a few niggles.

The latest from aria is ( touch wood) going good after about 5 weeks).

Its used every day and tbh its a great little pvr while it remains trouble free.

deezel

Established Member
No one seemed to take any interest in this thread but just in case people had read it I'd like to report that the last dtr80 that I bought has ( touch wood) turned out ok up till now. Its nearly a year and the unit is holding up.

Its not as heavily used now ( just for the kids early morning sd programs) as I also got a humax foxsat hdr from Amazon which also is working out reliable.

Hope everybody is swerving Dixons

lutonlagerlout

Standard Member
sorry to inform you deezel that i used dixons last friday ,paid £214 for foxsat 320gig hdr and they emailed me tracking info
turned up today and I have to admit the box looked somewhat battered ,but the contents were fine
all set up in less than 5 minutes
I prefer argos in general as you can reserve and collect (not keen on Drop it,Hide it,Lose it couriers===> DHL for short)but in this case i take my hat off to them for price and service,plus postage was free
after playing with it a bit i still prefer the set up of the original TIVO but unless TIVO start selling HD versions anytime soon the humax will have to do
I note with interest that i need a piece of coax between output1 and input 2 to record and watch 2 programmes simultaenously,is this a product that i can buy ?
kind regards tony

deezel

Established Member
sorry to inform you deezel that i used dixons last friday ,paid £214 for foxsat 320gig hdr and they emailed me tracking info
turned up today and I have to admit the box looked somewhat battered ,but the contents were fine
all set up in less than 5 minutes
I prefer argos in general as you can reserve and collect (not keen on Drop it,Hide it,Lose it couriers===> DHL for short)but in this case i take my hat off to them for price and service,plus postage was free
after playing with it a bit i still prefer the set up of the original TIVO but unless TIVO start selling HD versions anytime soon the humax will have to do
I note with interest that i need a piece of coax between output1 and input 2 to record and watch 2 programmes simultaenously,is this a product that i can buy ?
kind regards tony

Hey, don't be sorry, you pays your money you take your choice. Its good your experience worked out better than mine.

Its when things go wrong that you see a firms true colours. I related my experience here to inform others. How people use that info is a matter entirely for them.

Personally I think Amazon are pretty good when things go pear shaped ( almost default mode nowadays it seems)

lutonlagerlout

Standard Member
Like you deezel I am very aware of how certain big retailers customer service can be a let down,but i know how to deal with these situations now
i like argos because you can see whats in stock then go and pick it up plus the PVR was a late xmas pressie for the mrs so i didnt want to spend 80 quid over the top
apart from the battered packaging everything worked with dixons on this occasion
any ideas on the name of the bit of coax i need?
cheers tony:)

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
any ideas on the name of the bit of coax i need?
cheers tony:)
If it's the Foxsat HDR, you really need another cable from the satellite lnb (low noise block) to get the full features of recording from it....

You might need a quad lnb to replace the single lnb at the same time.

The receiver can set the lnb into one of four 'modes' to get all theTV channels available.... if both tuners are connected to the one lnb (as with a loop cable) then you are very restricted on what you can watch/record....

This is relevant http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1260043-can-i-record-1-cable-humax-foxsat-hdr.html although the hummy.org link has moved to What can I record and watch using one or two cables | hummy.tv

Search for something like "F PLUG SATELLITE EXTENSION CABLE PATCH or FLY LEAD" and get a short one if you do want to join the two tuners (e.g. if you are on a communal aerial. Search for "SKY+ UPGRADE KIT" if you want the bits to change to a quad lnb and second cable to feed both tuners properly.

lutonlagerlout

Standard Member
many thanks dave
will look into your suggestions but sounds like an extra coax from the dish is the best option for flexibilty
if any of you blokes have any building queries I am always on pavingexpertdotcom
I appreciate you taking the time to help me
kind regards tony:)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom