Shallow Widescreen TVs?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by hutchingsp, Dec 26, 2004.

1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I shall be trawling websites later on, but does anyone happen to know of any particularly shallow widescreen TVs?

I'm looking to replace a telly that sits pretty much flat along a wall rather than the usual (for most) corner.

It seems about 45cm is the deepest we could get away with.

Features needed are basically a decent picture (relative to price), 2 scarts (1 RGB) and a simple remote. That's about all really.

TIA.
    Paul

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll have to wait for Samsung Vixslim or the Philips equivalent if you want CRT. 45cm deep is about 24" widescreen. Even a 28" will be close to 50cm.

Otherwise it's off to LCD or Plasma...

3. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.. 50cm might just be doable, a lot depends if any extra is needed for cabling or if (like most) the scarts are recessed and under the "tube bulge".

I did look at LCDs but they're too expensive, this is for my mum and having seen 28" JVC widescreens (first thing I saw at Empire) for £220ish that's the sort of thing I think we'd be talking.. sillly thing is if she wants a 24" it'll cost more than a 28" supply and demand etc..

4. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I just sold my Sony 32" widescreen, which was really good, but just way too deep. It's a problem with CRT's! I dunno your budget but I just got a fab Toshiba rear projection for £699. Lots less depth that CRT. Awesome TV, with built in Freeview and surround. 42" is great, even compared to 32". May be worth thinking about. As with CRT it's oldish technology compared to plasma and LCD but ideal for next couple of years while we all wait for prices to come down and high definition to arrive.

5. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm in a similar position.

I looked at the sony and that was about 5 inches (grr)too deep.

I think the only options really are

a)The TOSHIBA 24Z33 which looks quite nice but has a bit of a bad rep on these boards. Could be down to a faulty batch but don't know if I want to risk that. That would be ideal for you as its 42 cm deep and is about £300.00

and

b)The Panasonic TX24PS2". This is the 24" widescreen version of the (old!) tv I own and looks ok. Thing is the price is around £356.00 odd not including the p+p if you get it online. Double check the measurements, but last time I checked I think it was around 45cm deep.

That really seems to be about it for 24" widescreens. Someone mentioned the thomson 24" widescreen and also the 23" widescreen from jvc but many searches on here and on the net don't bring up anything.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't more choice in the middle ground. Many people wouldn't have the room for a large (28" and above) tv but it seems to go 21">28 and up. I'd love a large telly but just don't have the space. I did at one point consider the 22"cm LCD Sharp from Richers at £599.00 but not really had a chance to go over and have a look at it yet, and I don't really have a lot of experience with lcds.

Anyway enough rambling from me, hope the aboves been of some help.

6. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, certainly nice to have some models to consider. Basically it's for my mum, to her, so long as it has a picture she'll probably be happy, but at the same time I don't want her to end up with a lot of crap.

I'm assuming a widescreen simply because I have one and I don't know how I'd manage without it with the amount of stuff that's broadcast in w/s these days - seems pointless buying a 21" 4:3 and watching most stuff in letterbox with black bars on a virtual 17" screen.

Looks like I may have to take the "poor value for money" hit and look at 24" models.

thanks,
    Paul

7. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any thoughts on the 24PW6518 by Philips, £250ish.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    FWIW, another thread announces a 27 inch LCD at Aldi for GBP599.

9. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There might be a Plan B. It's possible my TV (Panasonic 28PL1) will fit in the space she has, not entirely sure yet, need to do some measuring.

If that's the case, I might play the charitable son and donate that and put the money towards something newer/nicer for myself.

Not sure yet, nothing wrong with the Panasonic and I wouldn't have thought about changing it otherwise, but TVs do seem to have dropped a lot in price, like the Panasonic 100hz 28" TAU at Empire for £299?!

10. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes and you need to be stevie wonder to watch it. The picture is dreadful - don't waste your money

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    I'd advise anyone (other than L&H) who may be interested, to take a look at the other thread, where several people have bought one, and seemingly been overwhelmed by the quality of the image. I can't make any personal comment, I haven't seen one.