Shallow HTPC cases?

BryanKitts

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any HTPCs (pre-built or self-build cases) that:
  • are hifi width and styling
  • are shallow (i.e. less than 400mm deep)
  • take standard motherboards (ATX or micro-ATX)
  • have space for at least three cards (1 gfx + 2 PCI)
The only one I've found is the Claritas 260M/260A (260mm deep), but it's pretty expensive. Most other cases seem 400mm-450mm deep, which isn't ideal for stacking with hifi separates that are generally much shallower. The only other shallow cases I've found are the Coolermaster CM Media 270 (285mm deep, but only takes mini-ATX motherboards) and various Shuttle-like cases (310mm-335mm deep, but not hifi-width or style).

Are there any other options?

Conversely, are there technical reasons why it would be hard to design such a case (say, maximum 440x340x170mm WxDxH)? Naively, the fact that the Antec Aria can squeeze a micro-ATX board into 269x335x200mm suggests it should be possible.

I forgot one additional requirement: minimum of 3 card slots (1 graphics + 2 PCI). The Aria can fit 4 cards, so this doesn't seem impossible. I've updated my initial post to include this.
meansizzler said:
Silverstone have a few Hi-Fi style cses, check there website...
www.silverstonetek.com
Yes, some very nice cases but I think they're all either deep (420mm+) or low height (and so limited to two cards via riser).
deleted member said:
This is the one I have got my eye on;

Ahanix MCE302

It takes micro atx and low profile cards, as far as I can tell.

lia
Hadn't seen that one before. Like the look, but it's still 410mm deep. I'm looking for something shallower (and inevitably taller). Vaguely amp-sized, basically (e.g. my amp is 440x300x150mm WxDxH). The size of a Shuttle or Aria case, but rotated 90 degrees, if that makes sense.

I have a mediaPC.tv case ( http://www.mediapc.tv ) which is 100mm high, takes 2 x PCI + 1 AGP (or PCI express). The PSU it's supplied with is also nice and quiet.
The Silverstone LC11 is also the same dimensions and allegedly the same case with a different front bolted on.
I went for the mediapc case over the LC11 as it has an external 3 1/2" bay which I use for a card reader

Both take uATX boards only.

OneEleven said:
The Silverstone LC11 is also the same dimensions
But the LC11 is 424x96x430mm (WxHxD)" i.e. 430mm deep. I'm trying to find a shallow (i.e. not deep) case, say 300mm deep. I don't care about height -- my amp's 150mm high so 180mm or more won't look out of place -- but most hifi components are less than 300mm deep, so an HTPC that's 430mm deep sticks out or pushes the whole stack away from the wall.

deksawyer said:
http://www.standsunique.com/
expensive but exactly what you're looking for..................
D.
Yes, as I said, the Claritas 260 is the only one I've found, but it's £275 just for the bare case (even chassis fan is extra). Why has nobody else produced a hi-fi sized case like this at a more ordinary price? Are there technical problems?

ahhh. my bad.
I guess it's down to squeezing in std sized component whilst keeping good airflow. A friend has a silverstone LC02, which is not very deep- unfortunately they only have 2 slots available. Perhaps source a board with 1/2 decent gfx build in (like the radeon equipped X300EQS MS56 or MSI RS480) and use the 2 slots for PCI?

BryanKitts said:
Why has nobody else produced a hi-fi sized case like this at a more ordinary price? Are there technical problems?

Purely space constraints. Fitting all that into a shallow enclosure is pretty difficult, I should know as I'm designing cases for manufacture at the moment and its a complete nightmare. Your going to have to compromise on something. Can you not use something like the hiper media chassis and use the one slot for a graphics card and use usb for the other components?

The now unavailable LMP case was comparatively not as deep as a normalPC case. Mine is a little bit deeper than my yamaha amp but only by a couple of inches so it sits well in the shelving unit.

The downside is that the case can become quite cramped to work in. And it requires a pioneer slot drive ( which are a bit noisy) It was/is full sized ATX though.

I still prefer the way it looks to the current crop of HTPC cases.

Actually the LMP is 430mm as well.

You could take a look at the Enlight 7473

http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/Enlight_HTPC_Cases.html

It's 350mm deep, takes standard microATX motherbds, has 4 card slots, and is sort of hifi styled! It's also around £50 or so :)

Possible downside is that it's only 345mm wide and only has a 200W SFX PSU, although you could upgrade that to a 285W Enermax for about £25.

Problem is that most ATX and mATX boards are about 220m wide, so thats only a very small amount of space afterwards to play around with.

This case...

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/htpc.php#ht400

Is 402mm deep and looks pretty amp sized, takes full size ATX boards and normal PSU's too...I was hoping to get one in for review by now but I dont have my plasma yet so the article wouldn't be how I wanted it :(

Thanks for the suggestions. The Enlight's definitely closer, although its look is a little distinctive. It does show that a tall, shallower case is possible. It just seemed odd that companies like Silverstone make shallow, low-height, hifi-wdth cases like the LC04 or LC02 (420x116x310mm and 380x100x295mm WxHxD) but no shallow, full-height ones.

At least I now know what my options are!

BryanKitts said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The Enlight's definitely closer, although its look is a little distinctive. It does show that a tall, shallower case is possible. It just seemed odd that companies like Silverstone make shallow, low-height, hifi-wdth cases like the LC04 or LC02 (420x116x310mm and 380x100x295mm WxHxD) but no shallow, full-height ones.

At least I now know what my options are!

Hi bud,
sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have exactly the same problem that you had...The shelf I need the HCPC to go onto is only 320mm deep.
I'd be interested to know what case you went with in the end...
Cheers.

geeWcee said:
Hi bud,
sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have exactly the same problem that you had...The shelf I need the HCPC to go onto is only 320mm deep.
I'd be interested to know what case you went with in the end...
Cheers.
I eventually compromised on the Silverstone LC04, which only has 1 graphics slot + 1 PCI (which I use for TV tuner) and is 310mm deep. Everything else is plugged into the USBs at the back (I'll need a USB hub soon).

Now I've got the case, it's a bit more obvious how much easier the extra 12cm depth would make things, but I still think it would be better to make it a bit taller to take a third card!

BryanKitts said:
I eventually compromised on the Silverstone LC04, which only has 1 graphics slot + 1 PCI (which I use for TV tuner) and is 310mm deep. Everything else is plugged into the USBs at the back (I'll need a USB hub soon).

Now I've got the case, it's a bit more obvious how much easier the extra 12cm depth would make things, but I still think it would be better to make it a bit taller to take a third card!
Thanks for the reply. The LC04 is one I have considered along with the Claritas.

Sorry to dig up this old thread.
I too have very similar requirments for a case:
(mATX, full size PCI cards, full width (430mm), shallow (up to about 340mm) and black).
The Claritas and the silverstone LC04 look very good but way above my budget.
Anything else along those lines but a bit cheaper?

Sorry to dig up this old thread.
I too have very similar requirments for a case:
(mATX, full size PCI cards, full width (430mm), shallow (up to about 340mm) and black).
The Claritas and the silverstone LC04 look very good but way above my budget.
Anything else along those lines but a bit cheaper?

Hi Adam, might I suggest you check out the following thread - it's current and tackling a similar problem http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811822

PS. You're great in "Family Guy" ;)

Hey thanks winny (x2) :thumbsup:
Didn't find that thread whilst searching but I'm on it now.

I think this thread is more appropriate for my needs.
I basically need a cheaper, slightly taller silverstone LC04.
Any takers?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom