1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shallow (?) AV receivers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Zigster, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd pretty much decided on a Yamaha RXV-650 when I did one of those vital checks: will it fit the furniture? Unfortunately, the answer is no! :(

Our TV sits on top of an old, solid wooden cabinet. The front folds down with quite a big space inside - home at the moment to DVD player, VCR and Freeview box. The space is wide and tall, but I hadn't realised its lack of depth until now (approx 420mm). This wouldn't be a problem if it had an open back but the back is wooden (with a couple of large holes drilled in it for cables to come in and out).

Most AV receivers seem to come in at around 420mm deep so just won't fit. The Pioneer VSX-C502 seems a bit less deep at 383mm but this still doesn't allow enough room for cabling at the back. The shallowest one I've found so far is the Yamaha RXV-350 which is 315mm deep but this is a little cheaper than I'd intended on going.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for AV amps/receivers around the same sort of depth? If not, RXV-350 it is.

Cheers

PS. Before anyone suggests the obvious, replacement of this cabinet with something that would make setting-up AV equipment is non-negotiable with SWMBO - she feels she is giving a lot of ground by agreeing to more speakers. Replacement of SWMBO is also not an option - even Homer would pick Marge over the TV.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    hmm... not convinced that Homer would always pick Marge over the TV. Guess the 2nd obvious option of cutting a REALLY big hole in the back of the cabinate is also out of the question.

I think you will have difficulty in finding one with such a low depth as width & depth tend to be fairly standard for fitting in with AV racks and just the height varying - even the Cyrus AV8 is 360mm deep and they are one of the smallest I have seen

3. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "A hole?" I can just imagine my wife saying that in her best Lady Bracknell "A handbag?" voice.

Still, you may be right. I've found a couple more options for AV receivers (a slightly older thread suggested the Nad T743) but cutting a big hole would really widen up the field (or narrow it down to the Yammy). Maybe a big bunch of flowers on Monday would help with the persuasion.

4. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Zigster,

The best solution would be to wait till "ER INDOORS" is out, get the saw and do a bit of wood butchery so she need not know. :D
    I did a similar thing but with me I swapped a pair of tannoy M3's with some mission 773e's, and my missus did'nt even notice (even tho' the tannoys were cherry and the missions were black). :laugh:
    I should'nt think you would have any probs unless your missus has eyes like a s**thouse rat. :thumbsdow

TTFN,

Graham.

5. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes had to cut the back out of my £900 Yew AV cabinet (no worries was a joiner once), when done it is an advantage as all the connections are dead easy to get at (no reaching into ablack hole to sort connections) if you are using a jigsaw make sure you score any cuts accross the grain with a knife before cutting to prevent splitting.

Dont make the hole too much bigger then necessary otherwise you might be able to see around the amp to the cable mess behind when you are using

Dave

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My Sony STR-DE697 is a mere 300 mm with the volume control on the front, quite tall though

8. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im confused as to how people part with cash for an amp without measurng up first.

anyway! my yammy is 36cm deep without the cables. seeing as this is a pointlless thread as far as amps go, i reckon that you should just cut the back off the cabinet..with a jigsaw and claw hammer :laugh:

or better yet, buy a decent cabinet that will support it all :)

9. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon I can just about fit the Pioneer VSX-C502 so I'm buying that one (Arena on TCR are doing me a decent deal along with the rest of the kit I want).

Dave - Just in case it doesn't quite fit, thanks for the tip about making the hole neater - Last time I drilled a hole there was some splitting.