1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shall i wait for this?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by skap7309, Jul 9, 2005.

1. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there i will be buying a tv in the next couple of months but im beginning to get drawn into this hd thing. Im interested in the toshiba 36zp48 crt with dolby digital for around £800 and i own a toshiba sd330e dvd player.
    Should i wait for hdtv? Would it be worth it? The problem is will i need to fork out massively for the equipment and extra subscribtion on sky or should i just stick to my origional plan? Im a sucker for quality but i only have a budget of around £800, any help would be appreciated!!! :hiya:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If that's your budget then you can certainly get a HD Ready LCD (smallish one anyway) but then you will have to fork out another serious stack of cash (£400+) for the SKY+ HD plus subscription and as much again for a HD player for pre-recorded high def optical disks.
    It is going to take a while for suitable FTA HD broadcasts to make any impact and in turn bring down the price of no SKY hardware as and when it becomes available.

Buy the Tosh and enjoy the current range of SD programming both broadcast and on DVD and maybe in a couple of years HD will be a far more attractive and sensibley priced alternative:)

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    If you want to be ready for HD, but you are considering a Tosh CRT TV, you could consider a JVC HV-36P38, which displays 1080i, though only via component, but you may need an HDCP decoder, which would add to the cost.

Cheap HD ready sets are hard to come by, but if you bought an SD TV now, it would surely be worth very much less when HD takes off - lots of people will be selling theirs.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    The problem with waiting for the next improvement, is that there's always one just over the horizon. :lesson:

If you don't take the plunge sometime, you'll never buy anything.

(Of course, you'll also save a lot of money! :smashin: )

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yeah a never ending wait for something better to come along:)

However the choice between a SD telly and a HD telly at this time when there are no UK specific broadcasts (BBC, SKY etc) or pre-recorded media (apart from wmv discs)makes the decision easier.
    Buy something that you can use today safe in the knowledge there is plenty of mileage in the chosen technology and that when the time comes there is always the bedroom or plenty of family members who love to take the Tosh off your hands:)

6. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok thanks for your help guys, think im gonna stick with the tosh anyway as youve said, the price will come down over the next few years, just as ive enjoyed what the 36zp48 has to offer!

7. Andy+

Andy+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    skap,

I've just bought the 36ZP48 two weeks ago and I'm more than happy with it. Yes I'm interested in high definition TV, but I'm of the opinion that it'll take a couple of years to sort out - why be a guinea pig for Sky?