sHaLL I ruN iT ovER????....

Big_T

Standard Member
Reaction score
....A CA DVD79 that is!!!

I've had this DVD player in a box unused for many many months now and decided to connect it up to a new Samsung 23" LCD TV in one of my spare bedrooms. I went and purchased some high quality Component & Audio cables to do the job properly and I was extremely disappointed with the picture. It's better with a SCART lead and a £30 player!!!! WTF!!!

I did notice that some Discs looked worse than others though.

The LCD does not have a DVI connection so can't try it that way. The manual says something about Prog Scan not available via Component and only via the DVI port. I'm not that clued up with DVD technology and terminology, is Prog Scan a must for better PQ???

Also using this DVD is sh!te so I won't be fussed about smashing it up and getting something else. Any recommendations if I do have to replace the CA? Don't want to spend more than £200 on a player for the setup in this room but do want something fairly decent.

Any help would be great.

Oh and I have upgraded the Firmware which I found on their website.

Thanks...T.

There is a large choice now of players in the sub £200 range with HDMI out. This wil provide you with the best quality picture, you will need a HDMI to DVI cable though.

sbowler said:
There is a large choice now of players in the sub £200 range with HDMI out. This wil provide you with the best quality picture, you will need a HDMI to DVI cable though.
Thanks but the LCD I'm running in this room does not have HDMI or DVI ports.

I thought I was doing something wrong but maybe the CA is rubbish.

Is there a recommendation for a good sub £200 set which has good quality component capability??

Might help if you tell us exactly what's wrong with it.....it may be something you're not doing right

Pioneer 575 available for around £100

The CA DVD79 is actually an Oppo in a nicer case. So, like the Oppo, the DVI performance should be great but the component is woeful (I can confirm this 'caus I had one for 1 whole day the week it was released).

If you have applied the firmware fixes you may have quite a desirable machine which, if you don't plan to use yourself, would fetch a decent price 2nd hand ('caus they don't make it any more).

Big_T said:
....A CA DVD79 that is!!!

I've had this DVD player in a box unused for many many months now and decided to connect it up to a new Samsung 23" LCD TV in one of my spare bedrooms. I went and purchased some high quality Component & Audio cables to do the job properly and I was extremely disappointed with the picture. It's better with a SCART lead and a £30 player!!!! WTF!!!

I did notice that some Discs looked worse than others though.

The LCD does not have a DVI connection so can't try it that way. The manual says something about Prog Scan not available via Component and only via the DVI port. I'm not that clued up with DVD technology and terminology, is Prog Scan a must for better PQ???

Also using this DVD is sh!te so I won't be fussed about smashing it up and getting something else. Any recommendations if I do have to replace the CA? Don't want to spend more than £200 on a player for the setup in this room but do want something fairly decent.

Any help would be great.

Oh and I have upgraded the Firmware which I found on their website.

Thanks...T.
Don't be too hasty to smash it up, u'll prob get £80-£100 for it on ebay! That is if you don't get it working as well as it should.

Have you tried the CA website? i have the CA DVD55 and have found their website very useful for info.

jagr said:
Pioneer 575 available for around £100

That's what I swapped the DVD79 for. The 575's component performance was significantly better then the CA's component performance.

LV426 said:
Might help if you tell us exactly what's wrong with it.....it may be something you're not doing right
Pic is not very clear and a bit fuzzy/grainy. Worse on some Discs though. I plugged a £30 set using SCART into the TV and the pic on all Disc's were better/clearer than the CA with the new Comp leads. The £30 set does not have Comp connections.

The Atheist said:
Don't be too hasty to smash it up, u'll prob get £80-£100 for it on ebay! That is if you don't get it working as well as it should.

Have you tried the CA website? i have the CA DVD55 and have found their website very useful for info.
Thanks....I've checked the website and it doesn't say much apart from the Firmware upgrade. Have they got rid of their forum??

Never thought about the EBAY route if I have to get rid of it. Cheers chaps.

This CA79 is being boxed up and put on EBAY ASAP..been looking at some of the threads re LIPSYNC and now realise why this has been doing that!!! Didn't know why it was doing that before :mad: Also tried about 20 Discs last night and PQ was sh!te via Component on about 80% of them!!!

Anyway, a quick one....I will pop down the shops today and replace it and was wondering from the below short list, which one I should go for. I just want a good quality picture via Component and Multi-Region, not fussed about sound as this will just be played via the Samsung 23" LCD;

Samsung HD-850
Samsung HD-950
Pioneer 575/585
Denon 1920
Toshiba SD-350
Anything else???

Thanks....Tony.

Either of the samsungs, especially if you have an option for HDMI connection. The HD850 is currently £90 at richer sounds.

If Component is ur only option then listen to the guys who own them and go for the Pioneer or Denon.

Thanks...Component is my only option at the mo with this LCD. It's only for upstairs in a spare bedroom so not fussed about HD...I just want a good picture, that's Multi-Region oh and can play DVD-R's and AVI's etc and at a reasonable price...The only thing the CA was good at I can see was it can play all types of disc formats and AVI's etc....

I've got a C/A DVD57 and through component the PQ is superb! Thats using a Sharp LC-32P50E screen. Bright colours, good tone and pin sharp. I'm wondering if the DVD79 is so bad, then is the DVD89 as bad or better. I'm looking at repalcing the 57.

rainstel said:
I've got a C/A DVD57 and through component the PQ is superb! Thats using a Sharp LC-32P50E screen. Bright colours, good tone and pin sharp. I'm wondering if the DVD79 is so bad, then is the DVD89 as bad or better. I'm looking at repalcing the 57.

Keep a eye on this thread below , one avforum member is going to pick up a dvd89 tomorrow.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310826

Drphibes

Quick update....Just did a few tests with a cheap set I had previously in that room

Other player used was Yamada DVX-6700
DVD's used was Gladiator & Hero

Component on the CA was brighter and more colourful than via S-Video but S-Video was a better picture if that makes sense :confused:

Even on the Yamada, S-Video had a more crisp picture than the CA with the Comp leads

I'm sure it isn't the leads as these are brand new and of a very good quality, recommended by a few places

Could the LCD be at fault?? It's an LE23R51B

Maybe I'm being fussy :)

T.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom