1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shall i move my lounge around?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chez, Aug 8, 2003.

1. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The pursuit of hi-fi/av excellence has brought me to the conclusion that I would probably be best off moving my lounge around a bit!!

Here's a diagram of the current layout (we only have one armchair at the moment, but a second is on it's way, so have added it in advance!) -

[​IMG]

I've had a bit of a think and come up with this idea-

[​IMG]

What do you guys reckon would be best? (if it's something different to either of these, please tell me, I'm open to ideas!)

In case it makes a difference, the Front speakers are Ruark Prelude IIs (floorstanders), the centre a Ruark EpiCentre and the rears are Definitive Technology ProMonitor 80s (which are wallmounted).

The room measures 17' x 11' with ceilings about 8.5' high.

Thanks in advance
    Chez

2. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOOKS ALLRIGHT what was up with the other way (did the radiator give you any trouble)

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i think the original is probably not far from your best set up!

I think you could only do better by having the tv bove the fireplace, but then you are talking plasma and lots of money!

Ad

4. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the comments -

The main problem with the original layout is light on the screen. Firstly the TV is in the bay window and secondly, the doors at the bottom of the plan have glass in them and lead to the dining room whcih has another bay window, meaning lots of light coming through - nice for living in, not so nice when it's on your telly!

The radiator didn't cause any problems - I turned it off!! (the fireplace and other radiator do a good enough job of heating the room!)

Buns - my eventual plan is to have the fireplace removed (it's a gas fire anyway, not a real fireplace) and have a plasma screen put in, but in the meantime, I want to make the best of what I've got!

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The first picture is a good layout though I would swap the position of the amchairs and sofa so someone can lounge on the sofa and still watch TV.

Is there anything wrong with the the sound at the moment or is it just the reflection problems.

6. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    the sofa is where it is because it has high arms, which would actually block your view of th screen if it were against the other wall with the TV where it is now!

The only problem I am having with the sound at the moment is that I am very aware of the rear speakers, however the levels are correct and if I reduce them, the front soundstage dominates completely in movies.

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Could you not get some nice blinds to stop light coming in from the windows? The first plan is the better layout of the two for Home Cinema.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As above, the first plan is the best. If I were to have the TV in the corner though (in fact I do at the moment!) I'd have the front L&R actually next to the TV, and put the rear L where you've suggested having the front R.

It's how my room's set up at the moment (blame the parents), and although all the speakers are in front of you, it's still quite effective.

9. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Eviljohn2 - Thanks for your thoughts.

If I had the TV in the corner, I could not have the speakers as you describe for 2 reasons - the fronts are floorstanders and are not shielded, meaning they could not go right next to the TV and they need to be a decent distance from corners and rear waals.!

Also, I don't think the positions you've described would give a very good stereo image for music.

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Fair points Chez. Certainly not great for music, but I use a different setup in my bedroom for that.

Floorstanders will also need the breathing room you mention but you might be able to get away with them not being shielded depending on the model - mine aren't shielded (Mission 771e's standmounts (on floor!)) but everything works fine with them only about 0.5metres from the TV.

I think the consensus is definitely that your first example is definitely the best for both HC and music. The second is a more 'room friendly' layout but this comes with several compromises. At the end of the day it's up to you to decide where your priorities lie (stereo music reproduction; home cinema; aesthetics), make some vague plans around them and do more minor adjustments around that.

11. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    True. I thnk I'll stick with it as it is now - seems that moving it around wouldn't improve it and I'm quite happy with the room as it is now.

Thanks for your input guys.

Chez