1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shake, Rattle & Roll

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by fromfulham, Dec 6, 2004.

1. fromfulham

fromfulham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings Bassheads, As a Brit residing in the U.S. I am looking for advice on purchasing a sub in the $400 range. I see many comments in the sub forum about house shaking results, how low can you go ? This is all well and good, and enjoyable, but I'm looking for a sub with a tight, crisp sound. I'm concerned that many of the subs in the U.S. market are designed for maximum bass and offer little finesse or articulate, detailed presentation. Any thoughts, suggestions. Many thanks.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Slighty over your budget and quite large. SEe the PD10 is here thread in the svs forum for pictures but still a superb and musical sub. It happy pumping out death metal to opera and classical music and rocks with films :smahin:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    fromfulham,
    Well, I have just got a Velodyne CHT12-R. At first, I was a bit dissapointed, having just sold a REL Q400 the Velodyne just didn't hang together as well. However now that the sub has begun to run in, the bass is becoming much more tight and focussed. I was going to da a little review type post, here, AVReview after the CHT12-R has fully run in, but going off the current results this sub is a bit of a star. I still wouldn't say that the sub is as musical as the REL regarding timing just yet. It is getting closer as the CHT12-R beds in and already does seem to reach lower and louder than the Q400. I would reccomend it. I am not sure on how much the Velodyne costs over there, but if the usual "whatever in $ it costs in £" ethos is followed you should be able to pick them up for ~$450 or so?

Russell

4. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Russell,

What were your reasons for selling the REL? The Velodyne CHT 12R shouldnt really be in the same league as the Q400E.

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    ttree sound,

No, it shouldn't. At the moment it probably isn't in terms of quality as the CHT is still running in. However, the bass response seems to be more "present" and deeper.
    I sold my REL becasue I had heard a number of subs that, for a lot less than the REL's RRP, seemed to better it, and the whole "value for money SVS" thing that has bombed the subwoofer discussion boards recently had a hand, too. I must say that I have never said the Q400 is worth the RRP. I bought mine for £650 and that price point is about right.
    So, a couple of months ago I heard the B&W 675 again, and this time the setup was superb, impressing me much more than my REL ever did (Spiderman 2). Last time I heard it, the 675 just didn't sit right with music, but now it did. I therefore advised someone to listen to this sub, rather than just buying blind. That person wound up getting a CHT-10R instead, becasue of some reading he did on another forum. I listened to this sub and was very surprised indeed. Fair enough it was a little loose around the edges and a little boomy, but the quality was there. I also didn't realise how long the CHT range needs to run in, and after a week or so, the CHT10 had blossomed into a very capable sub indeed.
    I also remembered listening to a CHT15 sub in someones house a fair bit ago and was deeply impressed then, too. I still think it was better than the venerable Servo15. I was tempted by the SVS route, but couldn't bring myself to buy blind. As far as I am concerned speakers, subs or tweeters, should be heard becasue of their very nature. Just simply assuming that becasue everyone else likse something I have to, too, is wrong. I mean, I was really disapointed with the Denon A1SR, rating other, cheaper, amps ahead of Denon's flagship despite reviews and most other folk stating diferently. No, the die was set and after reading up on some information, cheking out that "other forum" I bought the CHT12-R.
    More to the point, I am happy with it and if I wasn't then I would have said so.

Russell

6. fromfulham

fromfulham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks as always for your replies. Have been away and only just checked AVForum again. Happy New Year to all.