'Sgt Pepper' 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Set.

Mr Lime

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A package arrived yesterday! Hooray for Amazon Sunday deliveries!
1f642.png
:)

IMG_1486.JPG

First surprise: it's ****ing HUGE! I had the impression it was going to be a much smaller box for some reason, smaller than LP size. "Compact Disc" puts one's mind into compact packaging mode. In fact the box measures a full 13" x 13" x 2" and weighs a ton, due mainly to the hefty hardback book. I am VERY impressed.

Second surprise: The outer sleeve is a lenticular 3D image of the album cover - very sexy!

Third surprise: The book is HUGE. A very lavish 150+ page hardback edition. For some reason I was expecting more of a booklet.

When I was reading up on this release, I must admit that when details were announced I jumped straight to the disc contents and didn't pay much attention to the packaging and extras, so this has all been a very nice surprise.

The grand opening...

The lenticular 3D outer sleeve.

IMG_1487.JPG

Rear view.

IMG_1489.JPG

The outer sleeve comes off to reveal this replica of an EMI master tape box, housing the contents.

IMG_1490.JPG

A replica of the original LP sleeve.

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1496.JPG

The sleeve opens to show the 4 CDs, Blu Ray and DVD.

IMG_1497.JPG

A nice touch is that each of the CD sleeves displays not only the original cover art, but also alternate/unused cover shots from the photo sessions. The CDs contain a brand new stereo remix of the album, the mono mix (The Beatles' preferred mix for the album) and the real juicy content, a goldmine of previously unheard outtakes from the album sessions. Beatle geek heaven!

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

The Blu Ray contains promotional films for 'Penny Lane', 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'A Day In The Life', as well as a documentary on the making of the album originally shown on ITV for the 25th anniversary of 'Pepper'.

However, the real juicy Blu Ray content for hi-fi buffs, are the high resolution audio mixes of the album in stereo, and a brand new 5.1 surround mix created specially for this release The Blu Ray audio is the highest quality audio that the album has ever appeared in. Some dodgy listeners, I am sure, will enjoy this audio treat with the accompaniment of a jazz cigarette.
1f642.png

The DVD replicates the Blu Ray content.

IMG_1505.JPG

The cut outs that were included with the original LP release.

IMG_1494.JPG

A replica of a 1967 EMI promo poster.

IMG_1492.JPG

A very nice item. A copy of the original antique poster owned by John Lennon which inspired the song 'Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite'.

IMG_1493.JPG

Last edited:
Another major part of this release, the absolutely superb hard cover book. To call this lavish would be an understatement. Also, unlike many of these items are, this is not a mere picture book, but contains substantial written content, which at a cursory glance appears to be one of the definitive works on the recording of the album.
IMG_1495.JPG

Tne cover inners reproduce the original LP's paper inner sleeve.
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1507.JPG
IMG_1508.JPG
IMG_1509.JPG
IMG_1510.JPG
IMG_1511.JPG
IMG_1512.JPG
IMG_1513.JPG
IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG
IMG_1516.JPG

All in all a superb package and one that was much more than I had expected.

"A splendid time is guaranteed for all!"

:)

I wonder how many people like me have never heard it, not even the original? I don't believe you would need to be a devoted Beatles fan to want to listen to Sgt. Peppers, given its acclaim. Anyway, I've never listened and likely never will.

What I mean is, when music like this gets that old, can we inspire our children with it today? I would hope so. Not so long ago you saw a lot of kids sporting Ramones tees - were they really given the chance to listen to the music or were the parents using that to rubberstamp their own loyalties?

So play something like Sgt. Peppers to your ten-year-old today - up against what they're used to nowadays and the futile pop, how would they receive it?

I would hope they would like it and while not a Beatles fan per se, I do respect their music and history.

As you were.

Last edited:
What I mean is, when music like this gets that old, can we inspire our children with it today? I would hope so. Not so long ago you saw a lot of kids sporting Ramones tees - were they really given the chance to listen to the music or were the parents using that to rubberstamp their own loyalties?

So play something like Sgt. Peppers to your ten-year-old today - up against what they're used to nowadays and the futile pop, how would they receive it?

I would hope they would like it and while not a Beatles fan per se, I do respect their music and history.

As you were.

If that is what you meant, then your first post said absolutely nothing like it. ;)

Nice, that's one very comprehensive collectors item of all things Sgt Peppers, hard book looks great:thumbsup:. You've got me digging out a vinyl someone gave to me, cover is a bit tatty but the vinyl is in good shape.
SgtPeppers.jpg

Great album, every respectable music fan should own a physical copy, mine resides in a 12" metal collection somewhere between Anthrax and Iron Maiden:D.

The deluxe version of the album is on the Amazon Music streaming service; the one that comes with Amazon Prime.

Agree its a very nice set. I'd resisted but when I heard of the Amazon.de offer on Saturday I succumbed. Pleasantly surprised when it turned up on Sunday too (they just shipped from the UK).

Of the discs, have only given the bluray a spin and while the 5.1 is fairly safe with little in the rears, the overall quality of the sound is awesome to my ears. Just the excerpt of Sgt Pepper that accompanies the menu shows this with a real depth to the drums in particular.

Book is great and just that - a book!

I liked the fact that the 5.1 mix was subtle and mainly used for ambient effects and depth. I don't like surround mixes to be too gimmicky as they can often be distracting.

The exception however was 'Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite' where I felt like I'd been dropped right into the innards of a fairground steam organ! :)

And the sound of Macca's bass - WOWSAH!

Well clearly your head's so far up your own backside there would be little point in trying to say anything to you.

But thank you for sharing. ;)
Unnecessary, and editing the post by adding a line and an emoji doesn't make it excusable.

All

If I am forced to lock this thread due to repeated thread tidying and such, then I will.

That's an impressive special edition package, congrats on your purchase

But what do you think of the sound & the quality of the sound?

I have listened to the album through my earphones on the pioneer xdp-100r & also through my HiFi, Tag & Audiolad & B&W & I fine it a little on the dull side.

It's much louder & ringos drums sure do come out but the overall sound feels dull, like a mono sound, compared to the stereo copy I have.

What are your thoughts?

Ta

That's a great looking set, not for me at that price though... plus I've already got it on vinyl and CD... I might even have it on cassette thing around in a cupboard somewhere. :D

In case anyone's interested ...

Amazon currently have an account-specific "Get £5 off when you spend £15 " offer
- if you qualify you'll notice it on display on the homepage while signed in and you might have received an email about it too

Anyway, I just used it to purchase the 2CD 50th Anniversary "Deluxe Edition", with AutoRip, listed at £15.63 ("Was: £16.05")
- so £10.63 (delivered to a nearby Amazon Hub Locker - not a Prime subscriber)
... and I was delighted to find the AutoRip is the "Super Deluxe Edition" 4CD content (65 Songs, 3 Hours, 23 Minutes)

Amazon product ASIN B06X6MJGB7

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom