1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SFF PC Project . . . . . For me dad!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gizmo 76, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Hi all,

This is a new PC building project, totally unrelated to my forthcoming HTPC that i'll be putting together.

Basically my dad wants a SFF PC for his little office, the system has to be black and quite tidy looking. Also the PC doesn't have to be super powerful, just capable of running Word, Excel, Video Files(just playing), surfing the net, and playing his Tiger Woods golf game :rolleyes:

Below is a case that he has agreed on, which comes with it's on motherboard. Now all I need is a Processor, 512Mb RAM, 120Gig Hard Drive, a Graphics Card, a Black DVD-Writer Drive, and a 15-inch LCD Monitor.

Below are some links to some components I picked out. . . . . . .

AOpen XC Cube EZ18 Black, nForce2-GT, Inc Heatsink Barebone PC

120Gb Seagate Barracuda ATA-100 (7200rpm,2MB)

512 Mb Corsair Value Select, DDR, PC2700, non ECC

Sony DWD 22 16x DVD±RW Black Dual Layer DVD +- Write

So all that is left I think is the Graphics card, a Processor, and a 15-inch Monitor that would be suitable for this case.

Any advice would greatly received on these remaining items.

Cheers,

Giz.

Attached Files:

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Ok, I've had a bit more time to look around this morning and have picked out the following items.

AMD Sempron 2600+ (Socket A) (1.833ghz) CPU Retail inc Heat Sink Fan

Not really up on the lower end AMD chips, would the above be suitable for the kind of system i'm building. The other computer we are running in the house is a 2.4 P4, would the AMD be comparable in performance??

128Mb ASUS Radeon A9550TD (D-sub, DVI, TV-Out)

What is the best budget card for the job?? The ATi cards seem to have DX9 support, where as the nVidia low end cards are just DX8.

The Monitor i'm still not sure about, he says he only wants a 15inch flat screen, but for what it costs extra the 17inch ones might be the way to go. The budget for this area is £150-£200tops!!! Any recommendations?

And with these additional items that i've added(if they're suitable) how do you think the system would be, ideal for the job? Am I missing any thing??

Cheers,

Giz.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If your dad only wants to play Tiger Woods golf .. us old farts can be a pain, eh? :D .. then the difference between DX8 and DX9 support is not relevant, that's only something 3D FPS games like Doom 3 etc. would notice.

That said, a cheap 9600 does have DX9 support and a bit more power so maybe for the extra tenner it'd be worth considering.

Comparing the Sempron to the P4 is a bit difficult but I think it'd be perfectly happy running the sort of work you're saying it will be used for. It's probably a bit less powerful than a 2.4 P4 but not by orders of magnitude.

No real idea of the current state of the LCD monitor market, either PCW or PC Pro (forget which) have a Samsung as the 'best buy' in 17" but I haven't looked for one in some time to know any better than that.

The other hardware you list is fine, good choice of memory and disk, except I may suggest an NEC 3520 burner instead of the Sony. It's pretty good at dealing with a range of media, meaning it'll handle cheaper stuff too :), and from reports I think it'll be better for dual-layer if you need that.

All in all I think this combination will prove very good for the use you dad will make of it .. just be prepared to upgrade if he decides he wants to play Half-Life 2 or similar. :laugh:

HTH

4. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Cheers for the reply KraGorn :thumbsup:

I just spec'd out a similar machine to my original list, but this time with a 2.4Ghz P4 works out only a little more, but this way he can't complain it is slower than the nearly 2 year old computer in the other room :rolleyes:

I also added the DVD writer drive you recommended, and the graphics card.

Only thing i'm a bit unsure about is the length of the graphics card?? Max length for the Cube case is 220mm. The Sapphire site doesn't list the dimensions at all, does anybody here know if this definitely suitable for this case??

Also I found this Monitor that my dad likes the look of, and it seems to get favourable reviews.

Many Thanks,

Giz.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Going by that picture and measuring a spare card I have (the distance from the backplate to the inside end of the PCI edge connector is a fixed size) that Sapphire is around 180mm) .. the 6800GT I checked is 220mm and is a lot longer than the 9600s I've had.

LG have a good reputation AFAIK and user's comments are as good as anything to go by on sites like that I think. Ideally buying an LCD monitor is like buying an LCD projector, you want to try and ensure there are no dead or stuck pixels so check with where you're buying from what their policy is.

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Cheers again for your advice :smashin:

I will phone and ask about their dead pixel policy before I order.

Look's like we got my dad a system all spec'd and sorted, it went a little bit over the budget that he wanted, but I think it will be a great little tidy performer.

Giz.