1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SF concertino - help! MIDbass lack!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by vlza, Dec 6, 2004.

1. vlza

vlza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone suggest me something -
    I have Sonus Faber Concertino Home speakers, amplified by NAD C352. I've chosen this "uneven" ($1200 / $400) match because it was much more impressive comparing to all ~$800/~$800 speaker/amplifier synergies I've heard.

Midrange, voices are perfect. High's are pleasant. Low end (acoustic bass in jazz) is well enough for me - possibly because raised by my small room.

BUT, soon I noticed terrible things. Jazz-rock and rock are pain to listen: bass guitar sound is very weak, not tight. It never drives the rythm - and even if I intentionally try to follow the bass line it is rather hard. I can add bass on my amplifier - and it helps to add weight to bass but doesn't help to make it tight and controlled (what I usually expect from bass guitar). Also adding bass on amplifier makes low end (for example bug drum kicks) too heavy.

Do you think it is a problem with amplifier/speaker match? Maybe SF's have some special impedance change in midbass freq's which makes them hard to drive for NAD?
    Once I tried concertinos with Marantz 7200 - and seemed that there was no bass at all, comparing to NAD! So it defenitely depends on amplifier, and not only on power (Marantz - 95W, NAD - 80W).

And finaly the QUESTION. What can I do to aid that problem. Do I need another amplifier? Can you recommend something in price range up to $1200? Or better sell Concertinos as soon as possible?

Thank you in advance.

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you expecting far too much from the Sonus Fabers Concertino Homes,the main driver is tiny,so is cabinet size,I had these speakers,they really don't rock,they to me suited jazz,pop,acoustic and vocals,imaging was nice, well out of the box,holographic etc,but they had no balls,treble was grey,and I found the midrange not as clear as a B&W 601,as nice as they were they had to go as they were a bit to picky and no bass.

Maybe some concertos would have been a better choice,with a nice valve amp.

3. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had 4 Concertos, didn´t buy Concertinos even for surround because I thought they lacked body...

Otherwise they sound ok and look very nice with Sonus Faber stands...

I sujest you get a good subwoofer, I have REL, and try several xover frequencies until you "fix" that problem...

4. Dmitry Markov

Dmitry Markov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard Concertinos with C352, and C352 with many other speakers. Think the problem are Concertinos because they (as it was said higher ) really don't rock.
    They're good for calm music but even Mahavishnu Orchestra makes them pale. Imho it would be better to turn to Quad 11L. This synergie is much more universal.

Good Luck.

5. Gorecon

Gorecon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought some SF Concertinos and I have to say when I first heard them I too was surprised by the lack of bass.
    However after a long testing session and basically playing alot of my own CD's I soon fell in love with them.
    My taste of music is Jazz, Accoustic, vocal etc. Something that SKA.Face mentioned is that SF really play this type of music very well.

The size of your room may have a factor in it. Not that you can do much about that!
    I demoed them is a large narrow room. Took them home and played them in my considerably smaller lounge and the bass increased slightly.
    I am also running them through a Krell 300i. Krell's are generally regarded as having nice bass so you may want to demo a second hand one or go for a Krell 400xi (alot of bucks though!)
    The SF can produce nice tight bass but if your into heavy rock bass then you may find that's a problem.
    Like someone else mentioned you could run a sub in the background but its probably not an ideal solution.
    Good Luck!

6. vlza

vlza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you guys for suggestions. I think I have to try some other bookshelf speakers.
    Just to compare bass amount and quality.

I don't think sub will be useful in my small room. I would prefer tight, fast midbass instead of deep low. Once I heard Dynaudio 42 in big hall - and there was a lot of bass around (but I didn't like midrange).

In our local shops I saw following, which could be interesting: PMC DB1, some small ProAc's, Dynaudio 52. Unfortunately no Quads around.

I asked about amplifier, because it will be easier for me to change it :)
    And I hoped that it is possible to solve it with the amp, because
    1) NAD is in different price league
    2) As I told, I was impressed, that Marantz 7200 (95/155 Watts - 8/4 Ohm) with these speakers gave substantionally less bass, comparing to NAD! (pressing and unpressing button Class A - had no effect at all).

So my hope was that it is possible to find a proper amp...

7. vlza

vlza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gorecon, well, I also do not expect Concertino's to play heavy metal. When I selected them I listened to Caroll Kidd, Diana Kroll, De-Phazz, and also Doors, No-Smoking orchestra. I liked it.

But it is still pity to throw away Pink Floyd with their pulsing bass guitar, Steevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix...
    Even piano chords at the beginning of Diana Krall's "Stop This World" seem to lack energy!

8. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not try a different amp? I would put SF with Copland more than anything else,the new integrated is exspensive,but Copland/SF is like strawberries and cream,a synergy between the two.

Still won't really rock,but vocals will be really great!!