Question Severe colour banding on 65" M7000

sjbuck

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've noticed some very bad colour banding from external sources on my M7000. I've tested this with and without my amp in the mix and from three sources (nvidia shield, ps4 and a new fireTV4k). Whenever there is a gradual graduation in colour there is virtually no blending at all and very obvious banding. If I use one of the built in apps (i.e. plex) to view a test photo, it looks OK. Is this a known problem, or limitation with using external sources? Example is below from a static b&w photo displayed on the screen.

Apologies if this has been covered!

8zow6wH.jpg

Is it the same on all pic modes?

I noticed the same issue with certain content (mainly 4K video files) on both an Apple TV and the Shield with the same TV. Does the same problem happen if you view the file through the TV's built in media/picture viewer? As using the build in viewer did not present the same issue for me.

I never fully got to the bottom of it, but I seemed to resolve it on my Apple TV but not the Shield after doing the following.

1) Switching to a different HDMI port on the TV.
2) Switching to a different HDMI cable (I purchased a more expensive one, but not crazy expensive).
3) Making sure that enhanced HDMI was enabled in the TV settings and the connected device.
4) Changing the colour settings the device (e.g. On the Apple TV from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2). I also enabled SDR instead of HDR on my 4K Apple TV as HDR just didn't work properly with this TV.
5) Rebooting the TV seemed to help, especially if after changing the HDMI settings (such as colour) on the fly.

Paul

Thanks for all the feedback above, very interesting.
I didn't see the same issue with the built in app, just external sources (regardless of hdmi port/cable). Enahnced HDMI made no difference. I tried every video mode I could find on the shield, also made no difference.

By pure coincidence my TV told me that an update was available today. I installed it and, behold, it seems to have fixed the banding issue.
The only remaining issue I have with the TV now is when I enable enhanced HDMI I get no sound from my miraclebox, and my shield TV seems to really struggle to sync with the TV. The picture will flicker as if it's searching/trying to sync with the tv. In the end I've had to revert back to standard HDMI and miss out on HDR, which is annoying. This is through a yamaha amp, but the same issues happen when connected direct to the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom