1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Several Subwoofer Questions

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Gary_W, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all,

I recently bought a 5 speaker package consisting the Acoustic Energy Evo 3 fronts, Evo centre and Evo 1 surrounds. I am currently driving this lot from a Marantz SR5200, though I intend to upgrade this within the next 6 months (will audition Marantz 7500, Arcam 250 and Denon models). I will also be adding 2 more Evo 1's to go to 7.1

I did not buy the Evo Sub, as I felt that better products are around and deal or not, I didn't want to throw good money after bad. So now I need a sub.

When I demoed the Evo kit, the demo went much better after the Rel Stampede that I had asked for was switched off. Basically, the demo took place in an upstairs room with creaky wooden floorboards and was driven by a chap that thought that it wasn't bass if the fillings in your teeth remained intact. Dialogue boomed. Wind boomed. Evreything boomed. Don't get me started on how bad the music sounded.

I am sure that this was due to the fact that it was too loud and set up entirely differently from Rel's instructions (only used the LFE input and put the sub right next to the listening sofa).

I have been to 2 other shops and have had similarly shambolic demos. As it seems like the only way to get happiness here is to borrow a sub for a couple of days and demo it at home, I would appreciate input on which ones I should bother with.

I would ideally like it to be beneficial to music and movies. I would like it to be beneficial at fairly low listening levels. I would like it to be cherry wood to match the speakers as closely as possible. I would like it to be <£600.

On paper, the stampede sounds perfect. However, I have a room that is 22' by 13' (carpeted concrete floor) and the only real position I can put the sub is in the corner behind the front speakers (as recommended by Rel). The main listening position is about 14' back from this wall, so I am wondering whether a smallish sub such as the stampede will cut the mustard :D

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Gary

2. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Hi,

I have a room similar size to yours. I am using Wharfedale evo30, centre and dfs surrounds. I purhcased a BK XLS200 (four colours available). It rates at around 280 watts through its powered amp and may be worth a look. Plenty of deep slam and grunt for movies and also tight with music. Also less than £300.

:thumbsup:

www.bkelectronics.co.uk

cheers
    Martin

3. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  4. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks, Martin.

Checked out the BK website, plus all the other reviews and info on the forum. Unfortunately, they are on there 2 week shutdown as of today so I can't speak to them direct or order one. Not good for the impatient man that has wife's permission to buy a sub now :eek:

I am certainly interested; it looks like a great product for the money. The Monolith on the site also looks interesting and is within my budget, though measuring the corner space where I'm intending to put it would be a bit on the tight side. I would imagine I would get intense resistance on the size issue as the front of house will look very crowded. I'm also interested in people's opinions as to the Monolith with music vs the XLS200.

Am I right in thinking that you connect both the LFE lead from the AV amp and the speaker lead at the same time in the same way that Rel do it? Is there a PDF manual I can download, as I cannot seem to find one on the BK site?

Gary

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    There are unfortunatly very few monolith owners yet. There is a review on this forum for the monolith that might be worth your reading.

If its anything like the SVS pb12-isd then it will be superb with music really filling in the bottom end with powerful tight bass.:D