Several People Shot At Empire State Building

Is this the day and age where more and more of these are happening or are we just more aware of what has always happened?

Foebane72

Oh darn, I was considering a trip to New York to visit the ESB, among other places, so that's a bit off-putting. :rolleyes:

kav

Distinguished Member
Oh darn, I was considering a trip to New York to visit the ESB, among other places, so that's a bit off-putting. :rolleyes:
You've more chance of being killed by a car crossing the road than ending up in an incident like that.

Foebane72

You've more chance of being killed by a car crossing the road than ending up in an incident like that.
Yes, crossing the street in NYC must look rather perilous, and I don't DARE want to even THINK about the No-Man's Land that is the New York Subway. :eek:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Foebane72 said:
Yes, crossing the street in NYC must look rather perilous, and I don't DARE want to even THINK about the No-Man's Land that is the New York Subway. :eek:
Are you serious??

Nothing wrong with the NYC subway either IMO.

Used it many times to go to different places at different times of day or night.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
A bit more info...

Sky Newa said:
A recently fired employee has shot a former co-worker to death outside New York's Empire State Building and then randomly opened fired on people nearby.

Jeffrey Johnson, 53, opened fire about 9am on the Fifth Avenue side of the building. He was shot dead by police.

Nine people were wounded in the shooting, but mayor Michael Bloomberg said that some of the victims may have been hit by police bullets as they exchanged fire with the gunman.

All of the injured victims were expected to survive, Mr Bloomberg said.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Sorry, but that's nonsense. I presume from that statement that you have been to New York recently?

I'd feel safer on the New York subway at night than I would walking round my local town centre at night.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
My wife also said NYC is the safest feeling city she's ever been in (she went with friends)
Constant and plentiful police presence.

SBT

Banned
Sorry, but that's nonsense. I presume from that statement that you have been to New York recently?

I'd feel safer on the New York subway at night than I would walking round my local town centre at night.
Same here.I'd rather live there than London.

craig1912

I thought it was sarcasim??
Been last two years and always buy weekly ticket for the subway for myself , wife and two kids. Never felt safer

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Out of interest, just how bad is London?

Here in North Staffs I feel very safe.
I've always felt incredibly safe at any time of day or night in London, NYC felt the same to me. (Although like some parts of London, some parts of NYC didn't 'feel safe')

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Same here.I'd rather live there than London.
Interestingly enough, my daughter is off to New York to work for Google in Manhattan. She's got her 5 year visa and is off at the start of September. Looking forward to going out there to visit! :smashin:

The Bass

Novice Member
There are rumours that the gunman only fired 3 shots, all at the man he killed, and that all of the injured were hit by police.

If it's true it seems that NYC have started fielding their clone army.

Foebane72 said:
I went to new York last year, had a fantastic time, and not once was made to feel unsafe, apart from the time a security guard climbed out of a brincs money wagon, with easily the biggest gun I've ever seen, I swear if he'd shot it he would have landed in new jersey!!

Foebane72

I'm glad to hear these encouraging stories about NYC, makes me even more hyped to go now! Thanks, all! :thumbsup:

BTW, sorry if I'm bashing this great city, but I've always wanted to go there, but incidents like this shooting don't help, but I'm sure they are quite rare indeed.

Also, before I plan such a trip, my Dad's off to Charlotte, NC for two weeks as it is, and I have to babysit the family dog whilst he's away. When he comes back, I'll start a thread about going to the States for the first time and what I should prepare.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Just watched a few videos and seen some stills from that on LiveLeak....