Question Several Denon AVR-X2400H questions

zaphoduk

Standard Member
Last week i bought a new Sony Bravia KD-49XE7073SU and a Denon AVR-X2400H. Other equipment i own are the usual assortment of game consoles, Virgin TiVo box, Apple TV, nVidia Shield and a Sonos ZP90. I am having a few issues with the setup as follows:

1. Apple TV connected via HDMI to Amp then out of ARC HDMI OUT to the HDMI 3 of the TV which is also the ARC HDMI port. When listening to music on the Apple TV everything is fine until i turn the TV off, at this point the Apple TV pauses. In order to un-pause i have to turn on the TV and press the play/button on the Apple TV remote. This happens regardless of whether BraviaSync or Arc is enabled/disabled. Obviously i need the ability to play music without the TV being on so this is a problem.

2. The Sonos ZP90 is connected via optical to the Amp Optical 2 input labeled CBL/SAT. I have this optical input assigned to the CD selection on the amp. Music plays fine until once again, when i turn the TV off the audio stops. If i disable ARC then this problem goes away and i can listen to my Sonos without the TV being on, but with ARC enabled the amp goes silent when the TV is turned off. Because i have the nVidia Shield connected to HDMI 2 of the TV and TiVo connected toe HDMI 1 of the TV i need ARC enabled.

I used to have a Sony STR-DN1040 amp prior to this and everything worked as expected, you you can imagine this is slightly irritating. Obviously I'm missing some settings somewhere either in the TV or the Amp.

In addition to the above, the remote controls for both the TV and the Amp seem to have a mind of their own. I'll press Options or Setup and the light will blink on the TV but no Options or Setup will display. I have to change input source away and back again before the remotes will work. I did notice at one point that the navigation controls of the TV were moving the selection cursor on the nVidia Shield. It's almost like the remotes are set to control connected devices instead of the specific device they were manufactured for.

At the moment i'm not entirely thrilled with the way things are operating and am on the verge of going back to my DN1040, at least everything worked properly there.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The receiver isn't lying. If the HDMI AUDIO OUT setting is set to just AVR then no audio is passed through the receiver to the TV. THe receiver cannot be configured to passthrough audio while simutaneously handling it itself. THe TV setting would result in audio being passed through and you not getting any audio via the speakers connected to thereceiver. The only time HDMI sources can be passed through in their enterity is while the receiver is in standby. If getting audio via your TV while you use the Shield TV then the shield TV is either connected directly to the TV or the receiver is in standby and the HDMI signal is being passed through the receiver.

Try turning off HDMI control on all your devices.

zaphoduk

Standard Member
The receiver isn't lying. If the HDMI AUDIO OUT setting is set to just AVR then no audio is passed through the receiver to the TV. THe receiver cannot be configured to passthrough audio while simutaneously handling it itself. THe TV setting would result in audio being passed through and you not getting any audio via the speakers connected to thereceiver. The only time HDMI sources can be passed through in their enterity is while the receiver is in standby. If getting audio via your TV while you use the Shield TV then the shield TV is either connected directly to the TV or the receiver is in standby and the HDMI signal is being passed through the receiver.

Try turning off HDMI control on all your devices.
Yup, i removed item 3 from my list as you rightly say, the Shield was connected direct to the TV. When i set it all up originally i plugged the Shield into the Aux 2 input of the Amp but i wasn't getting HDR so i moved to going directly into the TV instead but had forgotten that when creating this post. I've updated my post now. The other two issues are still relevant.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Connect the Sonos to the optical input labelled CD. This input has no video assignment options.

Other than this, S/PDIF has no control channel so I'm uncertain as to how either your TV or the receiver manage to pause the Sonos?

The issue with the audio being paused could be due to HDMI audio being reliant upon the same clock as that used to sync the video signal? Some receiver's will not even play audio sourced via HDMI if the TV is turned off.

Again, turn off HDMI control in order to avoid the button issues on your devices.

Last edited:

zaphoduk

Standard Member
Connect the Sonos to the optical input labelled CD. This input has no video assignment options.
There are only two Optical inputs on the Amp, one labelled TV Audio, the other labelled CBL/SAT. I may end up connecting the Sonos via the Red White audio pair at this rate.

Other than this, S/PDIF has no control channel so I'm uncertain as to how either your TV or the receiver manage to pause the Sonos?
The Sonos doesn't pause, just the amp stops outputting audio. Looking at the Sonos app the music is still playing. The Apple TV does pause however, Looking at the iPad remote app it shows that the Apple TV has actually stopped playing when i turn the TV off.

The issue with the audio being paused could be due to HDMI audio being reliant upon the same clock as that used to sync the video signal? Some receiver's will not even play audio sourced via HDMI if the TV is turned off.
The Sonos audio isn't being sourced by HDMI so this shouldn't be the problem, but i can see it being the problem with the Apple TV. I think the Sony DN1040 got around this issue by having each Channel Selection designated as either Watch, Listen or Watch & Listen. The Denon amp doesn't appear to have this functionality, to specify a channel as being audio only for example.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Use the optical input labelled TV then. THis would be the same as using an input labelled CD because it to wouldn't have any associated video assignments.

zaphoduk

Standard Member
Ok i've managed to fix the Sonos issue by disabling BRAVIA Sync Control on the TV, thanks for the advice on disabling HDMI control. When i turn the TV off now the Amp doesn't mute when listening to the Sonos.

Just the Apple TV issue to resolve now. I have the ATV plugged in to the Media Player input on the amp, perhaps there is a different HDMI input on the amp which will allow audio to still persist when turning off the TV?

dante01

Distinguished Member
THe inputs are exactly the same apart from being labelled differently. THey do not have different behaviour or characteristics and can be used with any source irrespective of their default labelling.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom