• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

several avi's on to DVD?

Keithhampson

Established Member
Hi, is it possible to put several 700mb Avi films on to 1 dvd without losing quality, all I want is a simple program that shows a menu and then you select the film you want and watch it on a dcs player, it would be ideal if the program warmed you that quality would be reduced if you added to many avi files and I don't mind paying for the software, is there anything out there that will do this?

Keith

LJx

Prominent Member
you can just burn the disc as data like you are putting any sort of files on it, you can fit a few .avi films on a DVD for sure

Keithhampson

Established Member
you can just burn the disc as data like you are putting any sort of files on it, you can fit a few .avi films on a DVD for sure

Only problem is that my DV player is a few years old and does not reconise avi format so its got to be converted to DVD format.

Keith

MarkE19

Any file conversion will result in at least some loss of quality, and as a DVD-V only uses MPEG-2 video it will need to be converted.
However as a general rule 1 hour of video onto a SL DVD should result in minimal losses. Depending on the quality of the source video you may be able to go to around 2 hours, ie from VHS you could probably get more onto a disc before the quality loss becomes noticable.
Within many DVD authoring programs you will have options such as doing a multipass conversion that can help to maintain quality, but at the cost of conversion time. Also settings such as VBR (variable bit rate) rather than CBR (constant bit rate) can help to give the bit rate to more complicated sections and reduce it when its less required. It is also worth noting that not all MPEG-2 converters are equal, so some programs will give better results than some others.

What version of Windows do you have? If Vista or 7 then there is a DVD authoring tool built in to it called Windows DVD Maker. If the results from that are good enough then no need to buy anything, but if not then you have the likes of Nero etc to look at.

Mark.

MarkE19

Thanks but how many avi files will fit on a standard DVD without quality loss?
There is no hard & fast answer to that - read my previous post.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom