Several av issues including lip sync / Marantz + Oled

tigertanaka

Novice Member
Hi I am new here but been into movies since a long long time. I ran into some issues with my new home theater setup and I don't seem to be able to fix them. If anyone would be willing to help me out / point me in the right direction that would be awesome since i am getting a bit desperate. I hope you don't mind i ask my different problems in the same post.

Anyhow, my previous setup was a Panasonic plasma with a marantz NR1604. Most of my blu-rays were watched via ps4. I had to adjust the lip synch on my reciever and everything looked good on everything that was connected. (every source was lip sync)

A couple of months ago I bought a LG BX and since my Marantz was only 4k passthrough i ordered a new reciever. There was a waiting time for 2 months and in the meantime i connected my reciever via arc. I had the impression that there was a slight lip synch issue that i could sadly not ajust (tv being master, reciever being slave, no acces to reciever menu via arc)

Anyhow, i got my new reciever, the Marantz NR 1711 and there are still some issues. I connected 4 sources to my reciever and my reciever to my LG BX, not using arc or earc.

- From the 4 sources, 2 are in sync, 2 are out of sync. How is this possible? My PS4 and Xbox one are clearly out of sync when playing blu-rays. I have not checked what it gives with the netflix and co apps. Strangely enough my Sony S5200 blu-ray player and my sony UHD UBP-X700 seem to be fine. I guess it's not possible to adjust lip synch per input channel? It seems surreal that the lip synch issue is not visible everywhere.

- I use my uhd player for uhd's and my blu-ray player for, you guessed it, blu-rays since there is something annoying going on. The calibrating / ideal settings from my LG BX are cinema for hdr content and expert black room for SDR content. In order to watch dolby vision content on my uhd player you have to turn on dolby vision output in the player menu. The stupid part is that this automaticly flags sdr / blu-ray discs as dolby vision. When starting up for example north by north west on blu-ray i get a dolby vision pop up. My tv thinks that the content is dolby vision and i can't pick the expert black room option from the tv menu, only the image options related to dolby vision. Is there a way to arrange this without going each time into the uhd player menu? (selecting / deselecting dolby vision) And more importantly, would the fact that the tv / uhd player thinks that the content is hdr / dolby vision instead of sdr / blu-ray alter the image? Colours? Something else?

KenMasters

First, with the Sony BD player, I sold mine once the DV update came through and replaced it with a Panasonic for the same reason you're struggling - you can't activate DV without it converting everything to DV, There was no way around it and I'm not aware of anything having changed since.

As for your lip-sync issue, just going by the input lag on my C9, when viewing content in one of the accurate modes with all enhancement settings off including Real Cinema, lip sync delay on the Marantz should be set to 50ms.

When viewing content in one of the accurate modes with all enhancement settings off other than Real Cinema, lip sync delay on the Marantz should be set to 100ms.

When viewing content/playing games with Game Mode engaged, lip sync delay on the Marantz should be set to 13ms.

Of course if you are using the Xbox to trigger ALLM, there will be a mismatch between the regular TV mode and the game mode. I know there's an HDMI auto-sync feature, but I don't use it and don't know how reliable it is.

Last edited:

tigertanaka

Novice Member
First, with the Sony BD player, I sold mine once the DV update came through and replaced it with a Panasonic for the same reason you're struggling - you can't activate DV without it converting everything to DV, There was no way around it and I'm not aware of anything having changed since.

As for you lip-sync issue, just going by the input lag on my C9, when viewing content in one of the accurate modes with all enhancement settings off including Real Cinema, lip sync delay on the Marantz should be set to 50ms.

When viewing content in one of the accurate modes with all enhancement settings off other than Real Cinema, lip sync delay on the Marantz should be set to 100ms.

When viewing content/playing games with Game Mode engaged, lip sync delay on the Marantz should be set to 13ms.

Of course if you are using the Xbox to trigger ALLM, there will be a mismatch between the regular TV mode and the game mode. I know there's an HDMI auto-sync feature, but I don't use it and don't know how reliable it is.
thank you very much for all your help! i feel like a noob but was not aware that even the different modes like real cinema etc could have an impact on the lip sync issue. was thinking that only impacted the colours / brightness etc.

thank you very much for all your help! i feel like a noob but was not aware that even the different modes like real cinema etc could have an impact on the lip sync issue. was thinking that only impacted the colours / brightness etc.
The more video processing you use,the more potential delay you introduce to the video signal. As above, Sony's implementation of DV leaves much to be desired. If it was me I would sell your Sonys and look at a Panasonic 4K player.

tigertanaka

Novice Member
The more video processing you use,the more potential delay you introduce to the video signal. As above, Sony's implementation of DV leaves much to be desired. If it was me I would sell your Sonys and look at a Panasonic 4K player.

thanks for your feedback CaptainJames!

tigertanaka

Novice Member
an update: i did manage to get rid of the lip sync issues using earc, so far the good news. the bad news: there is not dts passthrough on my LG BX

what a nightmare this has been :(

earc = no lip sync issues, no dts
no earc = lip sync issues, dts

Not sure if it's worth all the trouble to start from zero to get dts sigh

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom