Sevenoaks S&V prefer Pioneer over Fujitsu plasma?

ndenbow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Some comments on this would be welcome

I went into Sevenoaks S&V in Cambridge on Saturday. I noticed they had a huge Hitachi(?) monster plasma in the window and a Pio 508 in the actual shop displaying Sky HD (it was Cricket). The Pio screen looked very impressive, but that's not what this is about. I was actually wanting to see a Fuji working.

I was talking to the salesman about whether they still sold and demo'd Fujitsu 58 series. I can't quote the guy verbatim but he said something like 'since we've had the 8G Pioneer in we think it's better, so we sold our last 42" Fuji 58 series ex-demo and haven't had one in since'. I also got talking to him about calibration and ISF etc and he didn't actually say whether the units (any) they got in were calibrated or not. He did say, though, that he only knew of 1 (one) Sevenoaks S&V shop that actually still had a Fuji 58 on demo....

Any comments?

Well that one Sevenoaks shop must be Swindon then, because when I went in there last week there was a Fujitsu sitting right there on display.

Useful comment.......

There was only 1 'he knew of' so I'm assuming within a reasonable distance from the shop. I know the Holborn (in central London) store had one on demo about a month ago as well so that makes two <rolls eyes>.....

I just wonder what Fujitsu would think of this.

Well the person I spoke to in the shop told me that they actually buy TVs to order. So I wouldn't expect them to have a 'preference' to any particular brand. I wanted to see a Pioneer 4280, but they didn't have one, and no possibility of them getting one in for a viewing.

SS+V has become a joke, well ours in Hull has anyway.

The guy actually told me to go to John Lewis or Comet if I wanted to see the Pioneer. Thanks. They're not particularly competitive on price either.

Silly sales talk. Go to a branch with both, and make your choice. If you want the best, you'll be choosing between these two.

Sevenoaks in Swiss Cottage tried telling me that a Samsung LCD was better than the Fujitsu plasma :suicide:

Sevenoaks in Swiss Cottage tried telling me that a Samsung LCD was better than the Fujitsu plasma :suicide:

Maybe they already have the new 81-series with LED backlight and 100.000:1 contrast on demo :D :D :devil:

my experience of SSAV is that they try and sell you whatever makes em the biggest margins. obviously they want your sale there and then, so dont want you to leave the shop without a sale. I went to Kent Cinema instead for an unbiased viewing as was put off by imho SSAVs lack of knowledge/b$.

Trust your own eyes. people that have compared the Fuji to the Pio have mostly gone for the Fuji, from the posts here.

Actually I did ask the question (tongue in cheek) as to whether SS&V felt that Pioneer was the stronger marketing brand and was getting a lot of exposure in magazines, to which the response was 'no, we just think the Pio has better blacks'. Yeah right.

I went for a demo on the Pio's and was not impressed at SS&V in Loughton. went into the other room and spotted the Fujitsu which blew me away. However the salesman was more keen on flogging the Pio (which was cheaper) and when questioned on this he simply stated that SS&V do not make as much money on the Fuji's as they do on the Pio's!!!!

Sevenoaks in Nottingham told me the exact opposite. They said that they thought the Pioneers had gone downhill so had stopped selling them.
Not a shop I trust anyway....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom