Sevenoaks email to franchisees

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by alistaln, Mar 21, 2006.

1. alistaln

alistaln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Just seen an email from Sevenoaks sent out to their franchisees. It stipulates that Sky will be seeding around 500 Sky HD demo boxes out to retailers by end of April, and each Sevenoaks store will get one of these from the 500 allocation. Stores can obviously immediately start demo'ing these to customers through April (assuming they receive their box before the end of the month) and continue demonstrations through May; however, availability to customers will be end of May in the channel itself.

Edit: In response to where it was seen - it was seen on the franchisee's PC that sits in their back room in their store, and was sent through to them from Sevenoaks' Head Office.

2. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    Sounds credible. So, Sky can claim they have a launch in Spring, but looks like there is very little chance that we'll all be watching the World Cup in HD.:rolleyes:

3. M-C-P-M

M-C-P-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Why do Sky treat their customers like crap!
    They give us no information about the release!
    They will charge the earth, for what in 18 months time they will be giving away!
    and after all that the bloody will breakdown every other program!

It really makes me sick:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :suicide:

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    My God - here we go again, ranting about things which may, or may not, be true.

Why not just wait until Sky make their announcements and then you will have something factual to comment about.

Cheers,

Martin.,

5. daKlone

daKlone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Interesting. The timescale doesn't sound a million miles away from the snippets other people have posted, so perhaps it has some credibility.

Unfortunately I think it probably knocks the idea of a HD World Cup (from SkyHD) into a cocked hat :(

6. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Ive been assuming that the chances of seeing the world cup in HD via theSky HD box for most was unlikely. This thread just confirms what I thought.

I assume there will be a lucky few who may get their boxes in time but the majority will not.

I assume though that SKy may convince a few pubs to install it and people will be able to watch the demos in Comets plus the T drive may show it. thats if the BBC launch the trial channel by June and it includes the World Cup.

7. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    My expectation for having a box is about September, so it will be interesting to see if HD-DVD is out first. If so, I'll be buying that, and spending the £50+ I save per month on HD discs! :)

8. rik1471

rik1471

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    These threads make me chuckle :rotfl: :rotfl: - seeing grown people get so annoyed at nothing. Lighten up - it's only high definition!

9. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sky are doing absolutely nothing wrong. They have only given a rough guidline on release dates but it's customer impatience that's causing all the ranting on these boards. Spring extends until 20th June for a start. Also, it makes good commercial sense for Sky to avoid letting specifics get out. Pricing is often decided at the last minute and who are we to speculate what technical issues arise during product testing? I honestly believe that Sky's customer service is not an issue here.

Finally, the fact that the price will drop is commercial reality. Those who bought plasmas 3 years ago, or even 1 year ago are in the same position. Same as anyone who has bought a computer in the last 20 years!!!

I'm sure like most businesses they work on economies of scale. Of course it will be expensive to begin with as the subscriber base will be small. THe upfront investment to supply every Sky customer with an HD box for free would be commercial suicide.

10. jonhobbs

jonhobbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Spot on.

11. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    Early adopters are getting frustrated because that's what a lot of early adopters do. Nothing wrong with that. If as a business you believe "customers are always right", then if some customers perceive you have done something wrong, then you HAVE done something wrong.

Personally, I prefer lots of information - whether it is good news or bad news. That's me. I'd rather know if the service is going to be late, than set my hopes on something that doesn't materialise.

Sure they may deliver in Spring, they may not, but the point is that I don't yet have the foggiest idea which it is. :)

12. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    This what happens when theres no competion when the premier went to sky and if nobody watched it the price would have dropped also when it went pay per view if nobody had watched it it would be free or a lower price ,ie F1 proved that . what they are doing is dragging it out so when it comes , the public will pay a premium price , ie like they said its going to be a premium product. If the take is very small the price will crash to get the rating figures cause thats what its all about rating.

13. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah, sure. That's exactly what's happening

14. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The take up will be big because in the absence of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, most folks sitting at home will want to know exactly why they bought their big flat panel screen. I don't think anyone really cares that much about content at this stage, they just want to see a really sharp picture. Sure, in 6 months time then we'll have plenty of threads bemoaning the fact that Sky One's endless diet of Simpsons and Star Trek repeats don't have any benefit in HD but day 1, that doesn't matter.

Delaying the launch deliberately would not increase the price, in fact it would leave the market wide open for a competitor like Telewest to rush launch an inferior product. Hang on a minute... :rotfl:

Ratings has nothing to do with it in the early days. The amount of HD users for the first few months is going to be negligible as the ratings people aren't going to be able to get a decent representation of the HD viewing public for sampling purposes.

15. Barthez

Barthez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I've not posted on these hd forums before but i do hope sky pull their finger out and get sky hd readily available as soon as possible. My friend works in an electrical retailer in nottingham and he says that they have had no word yet on them getting sky hi-def for demo purposes, i mentioned to him i read a possible launch date of early april and he thinks no chance what so-ever, his words were "End of May at the earliest", but take that with a pinch of salt as its only one persons opinion.

16. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    If Sky had rights to the World Cup you can bet your bottom dollar HD would be available on time.

If Sky and BBC haven't come to some arrangement to show the WC then it wouldn't surprise me if Sky don't deliberately hold it back.

After all, what have Sky to gain in promoting BBC HD? People will buy Sky HD anyway regardless of when it is launched, so why not let the BBC have egg on their faces and explain why it isn't available in HD?

Of course BBC don't need Sky's help to transmit the WC in HD, but without Sky selling the HD boxes, where else are they going to come from (in sufficient numbers)?

17. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    The sooner the BBC announce form plans, the sooner alternative boxes become feasible, and the sooner I can get my order in!

18. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Alternative boxes are out there already if you can't wait....(Pace, Humax, Philips)....

H

19. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    why should you have to pay for abox so you can watch programs that you have already paid to see by paying for the licence

20. Zeddy

Zeddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am patiently waiting for Sky HD. The reason being is that Her Indoors has agreed to the purchase of a 50" Plasma. It makes sense to wait until HD is being Tx'ed before parting with the dosh, 'cos every month the cost of said panel goes down. Hell, the way things are going, I should be able to afford two by the time Sky throws the switch.:D

21. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yeah I mean why even have to buy a telly or electric or :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

22. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    If you do not own a telly you do not have to buy the licence or elect ,own a telly you Have to buy the licence the money PAYS for the progs to be made ie you have bought the right to watch those programs so why should you have to buy a seperate box to watch what you have paid for, if there was no licence and you have a telly then it's up to you if you buy a box as you have not paid for the prog

23. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I don't entirely agree, I mean Sky are not exactly developing a warm relationship with their customer base here are they, Obviously they can not give out specifics but I see no reason as to why they can't keep the customer base or at least the press informed of the progress of their HD project.

Can't see why some of the AV press are not allowed a preview, I think the lack of information is what is getting people upset.

24. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I suggest you go to the BBC web site and read what your TV licence actually pays for. If you want to watch BBC programmes, then you only need a TV, or a display with a TV tuner.

25. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    Plus, of course, said licence.

Cheers,

Martin.

26. White Noise

White Noise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Exactly, gwaite2.

This is all becoming too frustrating for those of us that have backed Sky's project from the off and invested heavily/set aside substantial funds.

The main problem with all this is there's only a few bits of info to find out.
    The release date, the box price, the subscription price, what it looks like, the connections and the how to get hold of it.

On the net, a lot of us are used to keeping abreast of the progress of projects that offer more fruitful info like films and games consoles. If all there was to find to find about a film was the release date, the name, the poster, and where to see it, none of us would bother until it came out.

I thought Sky were trying to make people aware of HD and bump up interest in the product but apart from a largely uninteresting web site, they've done nothing to engage our attention or keep us interested in its progress. In fact the opposite is true. They've kept us completely in the dark. Anything past the end of next month is not "early 2006", which I'm pretty sure it stated on the original website.

It all smells of a cover up with something going wrong, be it promising technology that couldn't be produced in time, faulty hardware, or another problem out of their control. I think it's about time they came clean.

27. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    Basically, Sky does not have the guts to admit that it's actually late. So it will launch at the end of May with a tiny supply of boxes saying "you see, we launched in Spring 2006, just as promised."

Anyway, it has made be motivated to remove sky's direct debit from my bank account :hiya:

28. marthur

marthur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got my self a lcd took ages to save i think i can wait a few months for hdtv:rotfl:

29. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I just hope that they give us the highest bitrate possible for all WC matches if they don't get HD out there in time (and broadcast the WC in HD).

I find it difficult at best watching footy on my screen, the picture is normally GD aweful for football matches :mad:

30. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I think it will only be the lucky few who get a HD box before the World Cup and therefore most will be relying on higher bitrates.

I read some research done by the BBC back in 2002 the other day which suggested that for a large flat panel to look good the bitrate would have to be up at 8-10mbps. At the time the BBC were broadcasting at 6.4mbps on freeview. Dont know what the bitrates are via Sky.

The report also suggested that for HD to look a fair bit better than SD at 8-10mbps then HD would have to be broadcast at 19mbps Mpeg2.

Lets hope that at least the BBC do the right thing as if they feel theres a need for HD they must accept there is a need for higher SD bitrates.

We all live in hope