Seven Years in Tibet - Short Fat Actors!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by joggerman, May 7, 2007.

1. joggerman

joggerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just watched the above which says ratio of 2:35 on the box. It shows a long thin letterbox format on my new LCD TV. No matter what setting I have on the TV or DVD player the effect is too squashed , that is short fat people.
    Has anyone else encountered this and does anyone have any suggestions for getting the proportions right?

2. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i just watched that dvd last nite actually. if your tv is new, then you probably need to get used to the aspect ratio settings on the tv. with my dvd player connected to my plasma via hdmi, if upscalled, i have to set it to "full", as if its on "wide" the black bars are about right, but the image stretches across the screen. if the dvd is non anamorphic, you might need to set the tv to "cinema" mode, and if connected via hdmi you might need to change the settings to 480p as on some tv's you can't change the aspect ratio if the input is upscalled. the names of the ratio settings will depend on the tv, but wide/full/cinema are common. make sure you dvd player is set to output 16x9 instead of 4x3 too

it was a good film btw, i had it for ages but never got round to watching it

3. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Seven Years in Tibet ?

Felt like Seven Years in the Cinema to me... :rolleyes:

4. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    According to www.dvdcompare.net, if it's the 1956 version it is 4:3 and if it's the 1997 (R2) version, then it's non anamorphic. Either way if your WS TV is set to wide, you'll get fat people.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    If it is the non anamorphic version, you need to use a zoom mode (sometimes known as letterbox mode) to get the correct height. If there is no zoom mode then you can't do anything except look out for a anamorphic version or get used used to it looking strange on the TV.

The player is kept on wide or 16:9 mode and it is the TV aspect mode which is used to correct the right shape on the screen.