Seven Worlds, One Planet (BBC One)

I reported the issues yesterday, they emailed me back to ask what the error message was. Told them there is no error message, just doesn't playback in UHD for Ep 3. BBC Iplayer Team are investigating..

I see seven worlds, one planet via the iPlayer app of my apple tv 4k. Unfortunately not in 4k HDR. What can this be? Are there any settings that I might have overlooked?
Please help me.

You need a supported TV or I've seen a Firestick user mention 4K HLG, The ATV 4K is also weak on Youtube.
Its strengths are Itunes Movies, ATV+, Disney+, Netflix, in DV./Atmos and Prime in HDR/Atmos
For many people a £30 Firestick or Roku is a good complement to their TV apps.

Does that mean that it does not work on the Apple TV 4k?

We've finally caught up with all of these that have been aired so far, brilliant series.

We only have a 1080P TV still, but the image quality is still breathtaking, and the sound effects they've added to the close up shots are fantastic, obviously fake but is doesn't matter, they really enhance the whole experience.

Outside of ATV+ this is probably the reference for 4K HDR TV, putting aside that you can count the number of decent BBC shows in a year on one hand, and UHD ones on just one finger

It will look better than anything else in HD, but as soon as you see it in 4K HLG on an OLED you will def. want to try to make the upgrade.

Outside of ATV+ this is probably the reference for 4K HDR TV, putting aside that you can count the number of decent BBC shows in a year on one hand, and UHD ones on just one finger

It will look better than anything else in HD, but as soon as you see it in 4K HLG on an OLED you will def. want to try to make the upgrade.
Believe me, I've been trying to make the upgrade for a while but the wife won't let me until our perfectly good 1080p set dies :(:)

I would say Netflix and DV is much better than BBC HLG

On your setup perhaps. There should be some OLED bargains available for BF.
Netflix is variable, Altered Carbon was pretty good. ATV+ is reference not just due to the bit-rate but the care in mastering you can see in See. Sadly it seems they've broken recent episodes
The BBC annual walrus show has also both the care and the bit-rate.

Ive tried Ep5 and Ep6 on LG and they are playing the UHD HLG versions, although UHD can be 1440p of course

The UHD picture is visibly slightly higher definition on my 49" Panasonic than the broadcast HD but there is no Dolby 5.1 which completely ruins it. The BBC have finally (yes, finally!) started to broadcast some of their popular programs in Dolby 5.1 and it's good but iPlayer has no Dolby so you have this lovely UHD picture with completely flat stereo sound. Anyone know when the BBC might fix this?

I think its a surround encode so it doent come across as being stereo to me, but it is annoying that the BBC choose bespoke solutions and remain disinterested in license fee payers' desires while other streaming platforms now use Atmos and even NowTv has a form of 5.1 available.

I think its a surround encode so it doent come across as being stereo to me, but it is annoying that the BBC choose bespoke solutions and remain disinterested in license fee payers' desires while other streaming platforms now use Atmos and even NowTv has a form of 5.1 available.
Thanks. Interesting ref 5.1. My TV provides 5.1 when it's broadcast via Freeview or Satellite and so does my Panny HDR plugged into the TV; same for my 4K Panny player plugged into the Sound Bar but iPlayer doesn't and I know of no way to change from stereo to 5.1 within iPlayer on the TV. I did read somewhere on the BBC website that iPlayer wasn't currently capable of streaming 5.1?

Sorry I meant its two channels from iPlayer but if you set the receiver to Dolby Surround then it seems to have some sort of surround effect encoded.

anyone else not getting UHD flag again tonight for the last episode?

The UHD is up on the iPlayer, think you have to wait sometimes until the live broadcast has been made, then it usually pops up on the iPlayer

Yeah, spotted that as well. It was up about an hour or 2 after broadcast. That's the first time it's been late going up this series. I've actually watched one a few minutes before the actual airtime as it had already been put up, so this one is unusual. Oh well.

First world problems eh, lol!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom