Seven Worlds, One Planet 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Cas. I watched one episode then said im not watching anymore as i need the 4k bluray. david attenborough to me is a god. and this documentary series commisioned by the BBC (or indeed many of recent years are absolutely breathtaking in quality of sound,vision education and truly is beautiful. really derserves the unmissable badge without a doubt and should be in everyones collection.

I've watched this on Iplayer in UHD and HDR and watching that you think it can't get much better in terms of PQ. Looking forward to seeing how the stream and disc PQ differ.

Thanks cas. This will look jaw dropping! Will be getting this on 4K

I took that to mean the best the BBC have offered in 4K previously on disc.

I’ll add the word iPlayer in a bit.

Watched it on my LG, was impressed, particularly for the iPlayer. Then I got the disc and I was blown away. There’s a difference between impressive and jaw-dropping perfection.

The iPlayer HLG feeds are stunning but even last years Blue Planet 2, the disc didn’t have the same artefacts around objects. I recall the opening shot of David on a ship, the disc compared to HLG was better as you’d expect having less compression I.
Now this is me being a picky *** the HLG was gorgeous enough for the vast majority.
I will be purchasing this as I’ve found between this, BP2, PE2, we are rewatching often with the kids and I’m not sure how long the beeb will keep it up on the iPlayer for.

Thanks for the review Cas!

I’ll add the word iPlayer in a bit.

Watched it on my LG, was impressed, particularly for the iPlayer. Then I got the disc and I was blown away. There’s a difference between impressive and jaw-dropping perfection.
Yes, the Iplayer stream was impressive. IMO more impressive than previous series shown over the last two years by the BBC in UHD and HDR. I'm also now watching on a bigger TV than I did for the other shows.

Good review, and that's yet another item added to the ever-growing Christmas want-but-probably-won't-get list.
Love Attenborough - folks have criticised his recent comments regarding how man is destroying the planet as too 'political', but more power to him I say.
In fact he's one of the increasingly dwindling reasons to bother watching the BBC nowadays.

It's an amazing series and the decline/destruction of the natural world is a real tragedy.

But let's be honest, most people who watch this are educated westerners, it doesn't matter what less than a billion of us are doing when you have half of the worlds population churning out as much pollution as they can as fast as they can (China and India) and then just chucking their rubbish and pollutants in the sea.

Great series of course but to correct an error in the review, the score is by Jacob Shea. Zimmer provided the opening title track only.

Good review, and that's yet another item added to the ever-growing Christmas want-but-probably-won't-get list.
Love Attenborough - folks have criticised his recent comments regarding how man is destroying the planet as too 'political', but more power to him I say.
In fact he's one of the increasingly dwindling reasons to bother watching the BBC nowadays.

There's nothing political about facts. Humans are destroying life on earth. It's genuinely that simple. And on a scale so rapid and so vast that anyone with a conscience can't fail but to be appalled at what is happening. Humans are incredibly intelligent creatures, and yet staggeringly, maddeningly, perversely selfish and destructive.

There's nothing political about facts. Humans are destroying life on earth. It's genuinely that simple. And on a scale so rapid and so vast that anyone with a conscience can't fail but to be appalled at what is happening. Humans are incredibly intelligent creatures, and yet staggeringly, maddeningly, perversely selfish and destructive.

Completely agree.

So glad this one got Atmos. Must add it to my BBC Earth collection.

It's an amazing series and the decline/destruction of the natural world is a real tragedy.

But let's be honest, most people who watch this are educated westerners, it doesn't matter what less than a billion of us are doing when you have half of the worlds population churning out as much pollution as they can as fast as they can (China and India) and then just chucking their rubbish and pollutants in the sea.

That's what makes me laugh at Extinction Rebellion. The UK could become carbon neutral tomorrow but it's peeing in the wind until the big polluters like those you mention get their act together.

Great series of course but to correct an error in the review, the score is by Jacob Shea. Zimmer provided the opening title track only.

Ah, sure, it's only that Zimmer track that stays with me though. That hits you full force from the off. And it's not quite titles, as it does play across the entire prologue doesn't it? I guess I'll have to watch it again now, lol.

These series look great but the preaching and finger wagging is tiresome. I'm guessing they didn't travel the seven worlds by foot. Also most people that bang on about it are hypocrites. Especially on a consumerism centric site like this that counts on people spending silly money on things they don't really need. And sometimes sending said items back multiple times because of tiny imperfections thus multiplying the impact! :laugh:

I'm guessing it's safe to assume that the non 4k Blu-ray is equally as excellent all things taken into consideration. Anybody have experience with that format? Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom