Quantcast

Seven Worlds, One Planet 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas. I watched one episode then said im not watching anymore as i need the 4k bluray. david attenborough to me is a god. and this documentary series commisioned by the BBC (or indeed many of recent years are absolutely breathtaking in quality of sound,vision education and truly is beautiful. really derserves the unmissable badge without a doubt and should be in everyones collection.

google

Distinguished Member
I've watched this on Iplayer in UHD and HDR and watching that you think it can't get much better in terms of PQ. Looking forward to seeing how the stream and disc PQ differ.

UMAR 3:16

Thanks cas. This will look jaw dropping! Will be getting this on 4K

Coulson

Ditto. Cas - how does this compare to the HLG Iplayer version?? Thanks
From Review
a jaw-droppingly spectacular full-fat native 4K video presentation which comfortably bests even the best the BBC's 4K can offer.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I took that to mean the best the BBC have offered in 4K previously on disc.
I’ll add the word iPlayer in a bit.

Watched it on my LG, was impressed, particularly for the iPlayer. Then I got the disc and I was blown away. There’s a difference between impressive and jaw-dropping perfection.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
The iPlayer HLG feeds are stunning but even last years Blue Planet 2, the disc didn’t have the same artefacts around objects. I recall the opening shot of David on a ship, the disc compared to HLG was better as you’d expect having less compression I.
Now this is me being a picky *** the HLG was gorgeous enough for the vast majority.
I will be purchasing this as I’ve found between this, BP2, PE2, we are rewatching often with the kids and I’m not sure how long the beeb will keep it up on the iPlayer for.

Thanks for the review Cas!

google

Distinguished Member
I’ll add the word iPlayer in a bit.

Watched it on my LG, was impressed, particularly for the iPlayer. Then I got the disc and I was blown away. There’s a difference between impressive and jaw-dropping perfection.
Yes, the Iplayer stream was impressive. IMO more impressive than previous series shown over the last two years by the BBC in UHD and HDR. I'm also now watching on a bigger TV than I did for the other shows.

steve sph

Good review, and that's yet another item added to the ever-growing Christmas want-but-probably-won't-get list.
Love Attenborough - folks have criticised his recent comments regarding how man is destroying the planet as too 'political', but more power to him I say.
In fact he's one of the increasingly dwindling reasons to bother watching the BBC nowadays.

MikeTVMikeTV

It's an amazing series and the decline/destruction of the natural world is a real tragedy.

But let's be honest, most people who watch this are educated westerners, it doesn't matter what less than a billion of us are doing when you have half of the worlds population churning out as much pollution as they can as fast as they can (China and India) and then just chucking their rubbish and pollutants in the sea.

Kotatsu Neko

Great series of course but to correct an error in the review, the score is by Jacob Shea. Zimmer provided the opening title track only.

Kotatsu Neko

Good review, and that's yet another item added to the ever-growing Christmas want-but-probably-won't-get list.
Love Attenborough - folks have criticised his recent comments regarding how man is destroying the planet as too 'political', but more power to him I say.
In fact he's one of the increasingly dwindling reasons to bother watching the BBC nowadays.
There's nothing political about facts. Humans are destroying life on earth. It's genuinely that simple. And on a scale so rapid and so vast that anyone with a conscience can't fail but to be appalled at what is happening. Humans are incredibly intelligent creatures, and yet staggeringly, maddeningly, perversely selfish and destructive.

MikeTVMikeTV

There's nothing political about facts. Humans are destroying life on earth. It's genuinely that simple. And on a scale so rapid and so vast that anyone with a conscience can't fail but to be appalled at what is happening. Humans are incredibly intelligent creatures, and yet staggeringly, maddeningly, perversely selfish and destructive.
Completely agree.

anlygi

So glad this one got Atmos. Must add it to my BBC Earth collection.

It's an amazing series and the decline/destruction of the natural world is a real tragedy.

But let's be honest, most people who watch this are educated westerners, it doesn't matter what less than a billion of us are doing when you have half of the worlds population churning out as much pollution as they can as fast as they can (China and India) and then just chucking their rubbish and pollutants in the sea.
That's what makes me laugh at Extinction Rebellion. The UK could become carbon neutral tomorrow but it's peeing in the wind until the big polluters like those you mention get their act together.

vkvedam

Thanks for the review @Casimir Harlow, what gear is/was used if you wouldn't mind sharing?

PS: Ignore, NM2160 pointed me to the info :)

Last edited:

NM2160

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Great series of course but to correct an error in the review, the score is by Jacob Shea. Zimmer provided the opening title track only.
Ah, sure, it's only that Zimmer track that stays with me though. That hits you full force from the off. And it's not quite titles, as it does play across the entire prologue doesn't it? I guess I'll have to watch it again now, lol.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
These series look great but the preaching and finger wagging is tiresome. I'm guessing they didn't travel the seven worlds by foot. Also most people that bang on about it are hypocrites. Especially on a consumerism centric site like this that counts on people spending silly money on things they don't really need. And sometimes sending said items back multiple times because of tiny imperfections thus multiplying the impact! :laugh:

muljao

I'm guessing it's safe to assume that the non 4k Blu-ray is equally as excellent all things taken into consideration. Anybody have experience with that format? Thanks

zeppelino

I'm guessing it's safe to assume that the non 4k Blu-ray is equally as excellent all things taken into consideration. Anybody have experience with that format? Thanks
Why would it be safe to assume? It lacks 4K, hdr and wide colour gamut, so cannot be in the same ballpark.

muljao

Why would it be safe to assume? It lacks 4K, hdr and wide colour gamut, so cannot be in the same ballpark.
It was kind of a question- what I meant was I assume the blu-ray release is as excellent within its format (as previous releases have been). I suspect you knew that but preferred to belittle my question with your amazing knowledge of UHD specs

zeppelino

It was kind of a question- what I meant was I assume the blu-ray release is as excellent within its format (as previous releases have been). I suspect you knew that but preferred to belittle my question with your amazing knowledge of UHD specs
My knowledge of specs has nothing to do with your poorly phrased query. But if previous bbc released have been good then it’s a safe presumption.

Enjoy the rest of your night.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
@Casimir Harlow can you stop with the 10/10 reviews? I have a family to feed.
Pretty sure this is the last one for 2019 mate. So you can push back the remortgage and/or organ selling until 2020. But now Studiocanal have announced their next batch of 'classics' for DV 4K treatment, all bets are off next year.