1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seven, just who was John Doe ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Feb 19, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    I have at last got round to watching seven. The first time for the latest special edition and my third time in total. What a great film it is and the new DTS soundtrack has to be THE best yet.

My only problem now is who was John Doe ? Were did he come from and what did drive him ?

What would his last two killings have been if Mills had not made him increase his schedule ? He had been planning these killinhs for over 12 months, long before Mills ever apeared so he would have had no idea about how his last killings would have happened. Also he says that the people he killed were not innocent, well what about Tracy, even if she herself was not innocent then what about the child ?

Anybody else given any thought to this ?

2. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try not to think too hard as your head will start hurting and it will ruin future viewings you'll be asking about the ramification's (???) of time travel in the Terminator films next [​IMG]

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    The other question I have is that there were 7 sins.

But 'Wrath' (Detective Mills) survived.

Was there meaning to be any meaning to the fact that 'Wrath' was not killed?

The film implies that the whole thing was John Does plan, which means that he planned to be 'Envy' and knew that 'Wrath' would kill him and survice.

I was expecting Mills to shoot himself at the end...

Am I too looking too deep?

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    That was my first thought but, the killy of Mills wife was envy and the killing of John Doe himself was Wrath.

Now looking back the only person that John Doe actually killed was Tracy ( and her unborn child ) the rest were assisted suicides ( including I suppose his own death )

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Underneath all the old testament theologising he was just another psychopath. Something Morgan Freeman's character realises.

Then you have the interesting conundrum of rationalising what that means to you the audience who've started to sympathise with John Doe's supposed justification.

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    Mills may not die but his wife has been butchered, his unborn child is also dead, he's killed their suspect in cold blood and he's gonna go to jail for sure.
    He may be alive but his life is certainly ruined.

Corking movie.

------------------
    I don't believe in voodoo...

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really wished I hadn't read this thread. I've got the original R1 'flipper' version of 7. All this raving about the new DTS version means I've GOT to buy the new one now. Anyone want to buy a flipper? (cheap [​IMG])

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I didn't think much of the DTS sound track. many of the ambient sounds like the rain are focused on the front left and right speakers. This caused the dialogue not to come through as it should do. It bugged me so much that half way through the movie I had to recalibrate my speakers just for this film turning down front left and right speaker volume. There are a few good surround sound moments, but on the whole it doesn't quite work.