Setup without AV receiver

gedm

Standard Member
I'm not sure if I'm alone with this thought, but for me AV receivers and becoming less useful in today's world. As most of my TV life is now streamed, the only thing I have my receivers for is transferring audio from the TV to the speakers.
Along with the fact that very few AV units fit into either of my TV stands (with the exception of thin units such as the Onkyo TXL50), and I'm left wondering what the point of them is?

Anyway, I've just bought a new 65" screen and would like to improve the sound quality. It's not my main screen, and doesn't need a 5.1 setup, but I've spotted a nice setup with a pair of Cambridge Audio MINX speakers and a MINX sub to match.
There's no way to plug these into the TV, and stereo amplifiers only seem to have output for speakers, and no support for an LFE cable that comes with all AV receivers, I'm wondering what my options are?

Mods, I wasn't sure where to place this question, please move it if this isn't the correct place.

Cheers,
Ged.

gedm

Standard Member
btw, I should note that I don't want a soundbar or a soundbase. I'd much prefer a pair of speakers and a sub

gedm

Standard Member
oh that's interesting. It's available via richer sounds too, although doesn't appear to be in any catagory and the only way to find it is to search for it.

I wonder why such things don't have their own section now, you'd think with streaming this kind of equipment would be getting more common.

Thanks for the reply Imccauley :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi, I suppose AVR's exist mainly for people who do want surround sound. But there is nothing wrong with a decent stereo set-up. Some stereo amps do have subwoofer outputs. And some subwoofers have high level inputs, which means you can connect them via the speaker outputs, sharing the same outputs as the main speakers, and then managing the bass via the controls on the crossover. They can be used with any amp.

gedm

Standard Member
I suppose AVR's exist mainly for people who do want surround sound.

Yeah, I have an AVR on my main lounge TV, but I have no inputs plugged into it as everything comes from netflix/amazon these days. It seems like kind of a waste to have such a big cumbersome unit with all these features when I all want from it is surround sound.

As DVD and Blu-ray become less common and streaming in 4k/8k becomes more common, hopefully we'll see more AVRs slimmed down and focused on just that.

D

Deleted member 39241

Yeah, I have an AVR on my main lounge TV, but I have no inputs plugged into it as everything comes from netflix/amazon these days. It seems like kind of a waste to have such a big cumbersome unit with all these features when I all want from it is surround sound.

As DVD and Blu-ray become less common and streaming in 4k/8k becomes more common, hopefully we'll see more AVRs slimmed down and focused on just that.
Okay, got you. Actually with eARC there is a possibility that the TV could be the HDMI hub and then all the audio could go through that to the AVR. However, what you really want from the AVR is really good quality strong, well shielded, multiple power amps, so not sure that they will get smaller!

lmccauley

oh that's interesting. It's available via richer sounds too, although doesn't appear to be in any catagory and the only way to find it is to search for it.

I wonder why such things don't have their own section now, you'd think with streaming this kind of equipment would be getting more common.

Thanks for the reply Imccauley :thumbsup:
I think that the small, stylish, Class D amp with a couple of digital & analogue inputs, a sub out, and streaming built in, is probably ideal for most people who want decent sound that is better than a soundbar.

I went from stereo in the 90's (a Rotel amp hooked up to a Nicam Stereo VCR), to Dolby Surround, to Dolby Digital 5.1, then back to 2.1 as I found that the surround part was only a minor improvement over stereo, whereas a stereo amp was a massive improvement over the TV's speakers.

In my case, though, I still use an AVR to decode all the formats in one place, to ensure I get the full LFE channel (downmixing in the TV or disc player throws away the LFE channel), but only use 2.1 speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom