Setup with Bowers & Wilkins 684 (Front/ Center/ Surround) + B&W ASW610 Sub + Pioneer VSX-LX53 + Additional Sub Klipsch SPL-100

matrixneo008

Novice Member
So below is the background:
  • I am a rookie Home theatre enthusiast. used to own entry level 5.1 setups 15 years ago but have been using sound bars ever since I moved to Hong Kong (tiny houses and living rooms)
  • Now moving to a bigger house so plan to get a 5.2 setup which I would expand later to a 7.2 setup.
  • I have a LG OLED55C6P since last 6 years and fon't plan to upgrade for next 12 months. Own all consoles (PS5, Series X, Switch which I play regularly) and regulary watch 4k HDR high bit rate movies.

I am getting a good deal on the below (11k HKD which is roughly 1400 USD on the below) && I had recently also bought a Klipsch SPL-100 sub for 150USD (1400 HKD).
  • Pioneer VSX-LX53 (its a old 5.1 AV receiver with HDMI 1.4 but I need to buy this as a set - I Plan to upgrade later)
  • B&W set of 5 speakers Front/ Center/ Surround (with stands for the surround speakers) - B&W 684 floor standing, center and smaller surround speakers. Owners say these are well maintained
  • B&W ASW610 Sub
  • The above comes with cables included

I wanted to know if this would be a GREAT setup for movie + Game + music. I was more apprehensive as the B&W 684's are almost 15 years old model so wasnt sure if it would be a good idea for me to get these.

Lastly, what kind of tests and inspection do I need to perform to verify there is no mid-range blowouts and other issues with the setup? the owner has the complete system hooked up at his place now so I can test it

Thanks in advance for your help and apologies if some of the questions are silly...as I am a complete noob - have been reading and researching since last 2 weeks but I still don't have a clarity on the basics.

This pic gives size for the living/ dining area

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-04-18 at 12.43.25 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-18 at 12.43.25 AM.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 31

ashenfie

It really a case of listening at low and high levels with music/film you know. A few bass heavy tracks. Vocals will highlight any issues midrange and just be sure all the speakers are all connected in the setup. You could just use to the test tone to confirm this.

matrixneo008

Novice Member
It really a case of listening at low and high levels with music/film you know. A few bass heavy tracks. Vocals will highlight any issues midrange and just be sure all the speakers are all connected in the setup. You could just use to the test tone to confirm this.
Thanks a lot....makes sense...
any tracks / tunes you recommend for testing?

Regarding the setup - do you think the B&W 684's are still considered as mid-end.
Same Question for Pioneer VSX LX53 - I see great reviews 10 years back for the receiver and I guess its came under the mid-high end segment of AV receivers

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@matrixneo008

The 600 serie is B&Ws budget range, however your ears will be best judge will you like the sound. I`m just wondering is the price right for such old system, it sounds quite high. But you can surely check what they go normally at US to get some idea. You don`t need the subwoofer either so that should be dropped out or if you feel it`s easy to sell forward at Hong Kong then ok. You shouldn`t mix the ASW610 (sealed) and SPL-100 (ported) subwoofers!

The LX53 receiver looks quite good. Even slightly more powerfull than some new 2800$ costing Marantz, but the old ones were beefy as they weren`t filled up with zillion features and channels like these days. It has old hdmi connections, but supports hd audio so all good there. You shouldn`t go to 7.1 (surround backs) as you have couch against wall. Naturally if you upgrade receiver you would then consider atmos route with ceiling speakers or front height channels on front wall just below ceiling. Otherwise stick with 5.1/5.2 system.

I hope i don´t sound too negative, but i would hoped you could bought the SPL-120 model seeing your space. I have owned the earlier version from it which is almost identical to this new one. Well made heavy box with slot port, but little shy of 20hz stuff other than that can shook couch and get your trousers flapping with blockbuster stuff. The 10" version haven`t got as much praise as the 12" and 15" models. If it isn`t too late to swap then i highly recommend to do that.

B&W has some weaker and better center channels, the LCR600 (S3) was decent with large 6,5" drivers which i owned when younger. Can you check which model the package comes with? They downsized the 684 model later, but the earlier one was quite popular what i remember. I assume he is selling these:

Last edited:

matrixneo008

Novice Member
Thanks a lot @Gasp3621 ...very detailed and answers most of what I seeked guidance on...

But you can surely check what they go normally at US to get some idea. You don`t need the subwoofer either so that should be dropped out or if you feel it`s easy to sell forward at Hong Kong then ok. You shouldn`t mix the ASW610 (sealed) and SPL-100 (ported) subwoofers!
I am getting the full (Amp + 5 speakers + 1 woofer) 10K HKD.
Regarding just the front 684 speakers I checked and I coud see these itself going for 5-6k in ebay and other sites. even more in proper ecommerce sites which makes me think that my price is kind of a great deal

You mentioned I do not need the subwoofer - did you mean I should not mix these 2 subwoofers or I should just not have a subwoofer at all?
I can get 2 of SPL-100 (ported) subwoofers if the SPL-100's are better than ASW610 :)

@matrixneo008
I hope i don´t sound too negative, but i would hoped you could bought the SPL-120 model seeing your space. I have owned the earlier version from it which is almost identical to this new one. Well made heavy box with slot port, but little shy of 20hz stuff other than that can shook couch and get your trousers flapping with blockbuster stuff. The 10" version haven`t got as much praise as the 12" and 15" models. If it isn`t too late to swap then i highly recommend to do that.
Great feedback on the 12" - for me I got the SPL-100 on a great deal so no other option for me now but I will keep upgrading the setup as and when I need a better speaker setup. With what you said I will definitely be on the lookut for a 12" sub even if I am not able to find SPL-120's.

another question - regarding the speaker wires - will any pure copper 12-14 Gauge wire do or should I opt for professional Audio branded wires?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks a lot @Gasp3621 ...very detailed and answers most of what I seeked guidance on...

I am getting the full (Amp + 5 speakers + 1 woofer) 10K HKD.
Regarding just the front 684 speakers I checked and I coud see these itself going for 5-6k in ebay and other sites. even more in proper ecommerce sites which makes me think that my price is kind of a great deal

You mentioned I do not need the subwoofer - did you mean I should not mix these 2 subwoofers or I should just not have a subwoofer at all?
I can get 2 of SPL-100 (ported) subwoofers if the SPL-100's are better than ASW610 :)

@matrixneo008

Great feedback on the 12" - for me I got the SPL-100 on a great deal so no other option for me now but I will keep upgrading the setup as and when I need a better speaker setup. With what you said I will definitely be on the lookut for a 12" sub even if I am not able to find SPL-120's.

another question - regarding the speaker wires - will any pure copper 12-14 Gauge wire do or should I opt for professional Audio branded wires?
Hey. I meant don`t mix the subwoofers, just stick with the Klipsch now and try to buy the B&W package as 5.0 without the ASW610. While there are clear benefits with dual subwoofers when optimally placed the SPL-100 is rather high tuned ported sub so it drops quite steeply around 30hz and if you are listening louder some latest action/scifi type of movies you would want closer to 20hz capable sub. In future i would try to sell the SPL-100 and contact the Hong Kong SVS dealer about the price of SVS PB1000 Pro. SVS has different type of models (PB =ported, SB= sealed) so depending of your budget/size/performance requirements there is lot to choose from. This company is probably one of the most known regarding subwoofers which it has made since 90s. Going with brand that specialize in woofers is often highly recommended.

Soundex Company Limited​

Room E905, 9/F., Block E, Ka Ming Court, No.688-690 Castle Peak Road,
Lai Chi Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
Andy Chiu
Phone: 852-36423983
Email: [email protected]

Any decent oxygen free copper (OFC) 12-14 gauge wire should do fine, no need to pay huge extra for some exotic brand!

matrixneo008

Novice Member
Thanks again @Gasp3621

SVS PB1000 Pro seems to be 11,000HKD now which is more expensive than my entire setup right now:) will lookout for future deals.

regarding the B&W Center speakers - its B&W HTM62
B&W Front seems to be version 1 which I guess was more popular as per your earlier feedback. attaching the photos which the seller sent me

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-19 at 9.23.59 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-05-19 at 9.23.59 PM (1).jpeg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks again @Gasp3621

SVS PB1000 Pro seems to be 11,000HKD now which is more expensive than my entire setup right now:) will lookout for future deals.

regarding the B&W Center speakers - its B&W HTM62
B&W Front seems to be version 1 which I guess was more popular as per your earlier feedback. attaching the photos which the seller sent me

View attachment 1698816View attachment 1698815

Yes quality subwoofer from company with special expertise will cost more, but it will be then different level to SPL-100 in every way. It was more of a heads up for future as the better subwoofer is often first upgrade you will be doing. But of course depending of many things. The SPL serie is thankfully not the cheapest from Klipsch as they have some really poor ones with low price tag. This one has lot more heavier cabinet with better slot port design and more reliable Bash amp. Keep in mind the subwoofer placement will be very important. In corner it will play loudest, however if it sounds bit boomy then move it little bit away from corner between centre and front mains. If you have the system at the end of the room i would try it in few spots. However try to push the 684 also slightly forward from front wall, you don´t want to tuck them directly in corner very close to boundaries as they could sound bit muddy Optimize center channel position as good as you can! Preferably in "free air" not inside unit and as close to seated ear height as possible. You probably know already but when you have ran the MCACC Advanced setup with Pioneer check speaker sizes are set as Small for all and if any speaker crossover is set below 80hz them bump them up at least to 80hz. You can also try turning off the MCACC "EQ" part to see how the system sounds without correction. It will still keep the levels, distances in check. If you can get tripod or boom arm mic stand for the mic then use it!

I think the old 684 were quite a lot larger than the slim 684 S2 which they downsized. This is good news!

The HTM62 is something i would consider upgrading first if you can find the HTM61 S2! The difference is this model has 3-way design with dual 6,5" bass drivers plus 4" midrange driver and tweeter vertically aligned which is what you want for a horizontal speaker. Your current 62 model is fairly basic 2-way with 5" drivers so bit underwhelming compared to your mains and if you think about which speaker is most active in your system then you want to get best center channel possible from same brand preferably. So keep an eye if this one pops up used! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom