1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup too quiet!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Herbie, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Herbie

Herbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally taken the plunge and bought an a/v rig:

Marantz 5300
    5 Kef 2001 Sats
    REL Quake Sub (still deciding on this one)

set the whole lot up and it appears to be working ok, but I've found I'm running the amp a lot higher than I'd envisaged, about -25 db is still comfortable, and the room isn't that big....

I'm guessing that this is largely due to the Kefs needing to 'loosen' up a bit.

Am I right in this assumption and will the set up get louder as they break in?

Cheers

2. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the acid test, try the Region 2 LOTR (2 disc)...I'll be surprised if you can even make out dialogue at anything less than -5Db :eek:

3. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to end up watching most things at around -15+ on my 5300. Not really an issue though - as long as you can get the sound you're after, who cares what the numbers say?

4. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Same experience with my SR5300

I'm running it with some well run-in Tannoys & -25dB is average for a DVD. Previously used a Yamaha DSP-A5 with same speakers & anything beyond 9 o'clock (about 1/4 turn of volume knob) was seriously loud

5. Herbie

Herbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well... guess I'll just have to run in at that level and see what happens.

A mate had a Yammy 620 (?) with a set of Wharfdale speakers and he complained of exactly the same thing. However one afternoon he used it for 4 - 5 hours and kept having to turn it down as (he believes) the speakers 'broke in'...

We shall see...

Either way it still sounds fantastic.

6. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI there
    I had the same problem with my marantz SR 5200 and to me it sounds no where near as powerful as my old Yammy A2 which would rattle your teeth but now that I have a dedicated room as well as no neighbours near by and I can crank it LOUD, it seems to sound really harsh and goes treble(y) I can't just adjust the treble on the 5200 with a digital input. I like the sound of the marantz but wondered if it was worth getting a higher end marantz or power amp(s) or preferably if there is something which can be done with my current set up (see below) to give some omph!!!!! It has improved recently through fiddling and my speakers finnally being run in :eek:

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adjust the individual volume settings for each channel. If they are at 0,0,0,0,0,0 put then to 10,10,10,10,10.

test afterwards with a SPL to make sure each channel is the same volume Overall this will increase the audible volume level at a previous setting (ie -25dB)

8. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your amp has one of the volume knobs that just keeps on turning, it doesnt matter that the volume numbers seem high, what counts is how much extra power you have after a comftable volume is reached before the speakers cut out or distort.
    I have a power amp linked to my Sony amp, dvd playback is at -43 and thats still quiet sometimes go to -30/35. you wont have a massive range of volume for certain amps cause they dont have the power supplies. It's one thing you should check when you buy an amp.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but if you adjust each channel it will be louder than the previous setting.

I'm not talking about poweramp wattage output- this is purely on the gain level on the pre-amp/poweramp section. If you reduce each channel to -12dB (very low), you could put the master volume to MAX. It will be much much lower than if you had each channel to +24dB.

Of course if you have low sensitivity speakers, low quality poweramp that's a different matter.

10. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As has been suggested, the figures don't really matter. I think you'll find though that the Marantz is much lower than reference level at 0db volume. I've owned a few Marantz receivers and now have the sr6300. I recently calibrated it with an SPL meter so that 0db on the receiver was at reference level (85db with Avia). I had to increase the front three channel levels by +8, +7, +8 respectively. Now I still watch Dolby Digital sources at around -16db. Analogue sources are louder and I watch at around -25 to -35db.

And yes, R2 Lord of the Rings (2 Disc) is particularly quiet and I ended up watching at around -10. If you can't make out the dialogue in some scenes just activate the subs.