Setup Technical Help (Sony and Epson)

deanothewolf

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have recently upgraded my entire gaming setup and need some tech savvy people to help me out.

Firstly I will say what the upgrades are. It may be helpful in case someone else has these models.

I have purchased a Ps4Pro, simple enough.

Next I have purchased a new 4k enhanced Epson EH-TW7300 projector, I don't use TVs.

Finally I bought a Sony BDV-N9200W Home Cinema System.

The issue is that while the projector has a method to output 4K images and the cinema system has 4k pass-through, I can't get them to work together.

I can have the projector connected to the Pro via HDCP 2.2 HDMI and that displays the image as it should albeit only 2K but allows me use of HDR and Deep Colour Output options, however that means the cinema system is not connected so I have image but zero sound.

When I run it through the cinema system too then to the Pro, I get great sound but the PS4 says that the projector/ TV isn't 2.2 compatible which it is, so I only get HD capabilities and lose HDR and DCO.
It doe's allow me to use the 4K enhancement feature but not the HDR (as that requires 2.2) and I can no longer stream 4K content from Netflix for example.
Granted it up-scales it, i'm sure it would be better if it actually received the 4K source instead.

So really the question is how do I make it all work as desired at the same time?

Sorry if this is a very specific problem but any help would be very appreciated.

THe home theatre box isn't HDCP 2.2 enabled and would need at least a late revisised HDMI version 2 or 3.0a HDMI interface to pasthrough HDR metadata. All HDMI devices in the HDMI chain would need compliance, but the Sony BDV-N9200W doesn't comply and is only fitted with a HDMI version 1.4 chipset.

The best I can suggest is that you make a direct HDMI connection to the PJ for just the video while utilising an optical audio connection from the console to the Sony BDV-N9200W for the audio. You'd be restricted to the audio formats that can be conveyed via S/PDIF optical though so no HD formats such as TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio or more than 2 channels of PCM audio. Games tend not to use rgee HD formats and are more often than not encoded with Dolby Digital 5.1 which can be conveyed via optical.

See this is where I am confused.

The Sony specifications and selling material very clearly state 4K upscaling AND pass through.
Its not worded in a way that could mean something else, it's very clearly stated.

The primary reason I bought the unit was for the pass through. I really don't want to believe I wasted almost £900 because of false advertising...

If I can get it working the way you said I would be happy enough. Do you know for sure that I would be able to optical the sound with this model?

Thanks

Passing through or upscaling to 4K are not the same as having UHD and or HDR compliance. No device with a HDMI chipset prior to version 2.0 can passthrough HDR10 metadata. This is irrespective of the devices 4K capabilities. 4K resolution has nothing to do with the conveyance of HDR metadata and UHD isn't the same thing as 4K.

If the Sony home theatre centre has an optical audio input then you shou;d be able to convey audio to it from your PS4?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom