1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup RELQ150 with Sony STR930

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mike Dando, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently posted a thread about the Sony 930 crossover settings. Given the replies I am now wondering how to best setup my sub.

Here is the problem.

The setup menu only provides for:-
    Front Speaker Size
    Center Speaker Size
    Rear Speaker Size
    Rear Speaker Position
    Rear Speaker Height
    Sub Woofer selection (Y/N)
    Front Speaker Distance
    Center Speaker Distance
    Rear Speaker Distance
    Distance Units

Other members have replied saying that their 940 and 1070 have crossover settings on this menu. Assuming that my 930 is not faulty (had it for 2 years) and simply does not have a crossover feature, what is the best way of connecting the sub.

I currently use a single phone connection. Should I now be using the Neutrik connection? If so is this ok for music and movies.

If not, have I wasted my money on the sub.

Confused? I know I am!

Mike.

:confused:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Mike,

Are you unhappy with the sound or do you just want to tweak it a little to see what happens.

My Sony 1070 does have variable cut off and I played around with all of the settings and eventually left it at the factory settings.

You only need to adjust the cut off if there is a noticeable gap between the midrange and bass.

3. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

I suppose I wanted see what effect setting the crossover would have. I have only had the sub for a week and like most new toys, keep going back to fiddle with the settings to what happens.

The annoying thing is not knowing if the crossover would improve things. I am happy with the sound although I am suprised how little volume control is required on the low-level sub input, to get the sub-bass effects.

I suppose I'll just have to keep on tweeking.

BTW, what's the 1070 like?

Cheers,

Mike

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Mike,

Most people who have the 1070 seem to like it. So far as I know the only person who doesn't like is Stuart M Robinson and whilst the opinion of one person shouldn't matter he happened to review it for Home Cinema Choice.

It is surprising how little the bass has to be turned up on a decent sub to be effective.

Try and get hold of a region one disc with the THX Optimiser on it. I know that Terminator 2 has the Optimiser. This useful set of picture and sound tweaks includes pink noise that goes right down the spectrum and you shouldn't hear any increase or decrease in volume as the main speakers finish and the sub takes over.

Ian